Buffer size Logic Pro X

• I don't have any problems myself and fortunately my computer is very fast but I tend to use the monitor out on the mix control just because it's set it as default and I forget to change it. I was under the impression when you change the monitor out to daw in mix control that's when your lower buffer becomes more of a requirement and your monitoring. Is this correct? Talking about the software monitoring checkbox has kind of threw me. Also out of curiosity, what are the advantages between both monitoring options? Both seem to work the same to me.

• I don't have any problems myself and fortunately my computer is very fast but I tend to use the monitor out on the mix control just because it's set it as default and I forget to change it. I was under the impression when you change the monitor out to daw in mix control that's when your lower buffer becomes more of a requirement and your monitoring. Is this correct? Talking about the software monitoring checkbox has kind of threw me. Also out of curiosity, what are the advantages between both monitoring options? Both seem to work the same to me.

Software Monitoring is used for monitoring through plugins while you record. Amp sims, compressor, reverb etc. High CPU usage.

Mix Control low CPU usage and low latency.

[Blocked Image: http://support.apogeedigital.com/help/symphony-io/pgs/images/latency-b.jpg]

• That is correct.

Okay cool! 1024 it is :)

My cpu thanks you lol.

So just to confirm, if I want to use the amp sims in logic, I would then have to look more closely at the buffer sample size? If I want to record a bass line with their bass amp sim, I would then look to lower it as I would be monitoring through Logic into the 18i8?

But if I'm using my Kemper or a microphone or anything outside of the DAW to record in, I should just set it to 1024 and not worry?

Edited 6 times, last by PhilUK84 ().

• What I would do is to use the Kemper for listening while u record, and just record the di from the Kemper (SPDIF). And when you are happy with your take, just insert the bass amp sim on the di track and you are done:)
    You could do the same thing for guitar as well.
    As long as you monitor through mix control (e.g. with Kemper, microphone) you shouldn't worry.

• Yes that's a great idea. That way I don't need to change the buffer sample size at all and I can keep it at 1024.

thanks a lot for your help.

Ill give it a go tomorrow and post my results. :)

• Not sure if it has been mentioned, but there is something called "Low Latency Mode" in Logic.

When enabled, it turns off plugins that cause big delays and high overhead. (You can select plugins that get affected by this)

Sometimes you want to monitor through Logic (software monitoring), say for example when you want to give a vocalist some reverb whilst recording. Low Latency Mode can be useful here if you are already using some heavy plugins on your other tracks. Saves having to enable/disable them individually.

Then the buffer size can be critical 'cos you don't want the vocalist to hear the delay (low size = less delay)