Noob Pre/Post Question for you Gentlemen

• Hi folks. first off I apologize for the novice question, but is there a list to find out which effects are better for pre/and post ? for example the harmonizer works really well if you put it post in the x or mod as opposed to in the stomps. Is there a list anybody have that shows which effects sounds better pre or post ? probably in the manual and I am too impatient to read it. thanks so much folks.

• No apologies! It's a tricky thing.

In general there's an order of FX pre amp input and also FX used in the post amp section. However like with most things it's, taste and style...
    here's a simplified idea: Comp-OD/Distortion-pitch based FX, then time based...EQ could be placed before or after depending on your likes

As for FX in the loop, it's best to add time based FX in the loop, like delay etc...experiment and don't worry about what's right or wrong :)

• Something else to consider - there is no 'right' or wrong on placement of effects, just what you're trying to achieve.

Example: If you're going to use a harmonizer and want a sound like Yes' "Owner of a Lonely Heart" you'll put that harmonizer in the stomp section. It sounds grittier this way. If you want a smoother, more classic harmony effect, you'll put it post. Just depends on what you're trying to achieve. Both are valid.

Another example - vintage amps like old Marshall Plexis did NOT have effects loops. So most of the effects used with them 'live' had to feed the front of them. Even though you get a stronger effect by putting a phaser or chorus in the post slots, to my ear it sounds better and more accurate to use the stomp slots. I can't wait for a Kemper update to allow us to put delay in stomp sections - this is going to blow wide open some really good vintage marshall tones. Just my opinion.

• " I can't wait for a Kemper update to allow us to put delay in stomp sections - this is going to blow wide open some really good vintage marshall tones."( okstrat )

just bought my KPA rack power amp, and the ONLY disappointing was...no delay on stomp section - the only effective way to play something like Flight Of The Wounded Bumblebee - Extreme / Nuno Bettencort song....and many others ( Paul Gilbert also uses, Guns n Roses Welcome to the Jungle intro ).

Kemper update, we need it! :)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.