Get the Direct edit mode BACK please

• Experienced users already know the press and hold rules (like a habit). That's what is causing the difficulty. How about an option (check box in system menu) to select between the old and new method?

This.

@ckemper Thank you Christoph for chiming in. Could be the old button mode made optional? It can be default. The new mode can be default. But we will be able to change it in System menu. If not system menu, I don't mind debug menu. Please? :)
    I don't think that changing UI without backwards compatibility is a good thing.
    The original mode was more like having stomps pedalboard. You could edit stomp if you want to, but you were able to turn it on/off with sigle press.

Edited once, last by Peto ().

• Christoph this new method is causing more problems than it solves actually. The main problem is that it is not consistent. Both short click and press-and-hold should have a dedicted function. If this gets mixed people will get frustrated very quickly. Please make an option available that makes a short press do an on/off toggle and press-and-hold that always goes into editing mode.

• the rarely used Direct Edit Mode has gone, the new method combines both modes.
    It is not possible anymore to switch off an effect by a single press, while another effect stays in the focus.
    CK

thanks ck for your comments, appreciated. Your explanation makes sense but it sounds a bit like diving in and out of edit mode rather than having instant access edit, should the user choose. with all due respect and not wishing speak out of place, how do you know the direct edit mode was "rarely" used?

still a minor niggle on an otherwise awesome bit of kit that keeps on getting better!

• Hello Christoph, thanks for answering. I understand what you did, but I think a lot of 1st time owners don't find the new mode very usable.

I second Peto's post about backward compatibility and also that interesting quote about the 'pedalboard' logic behind the direct edit mode, The 'consistency' is also a problem to us, since the new mode is not that predictable like to old one used to be.

I'm sure you spent a lot of time designing the original mode, so please let us this option back in a system menu in a future firmware.

• Christoph this new method is causing more problems than it solves actually. The main problem is that it is not consistent. Both short click and press-and-hold should have a dedicted function. If this gets mixed people will get frustrated very quickly. Please make an option available that makes a short press do an on/off toggle and press-and-hold that always goes into editing mode.

There is a consistency, at least since version 3.01.

A hold always brings an effect into focus, as always.

A short click changes the focus, once you are in edit.

Then the second click switches on or off.

Parts of this paradigm have been established already in earlier products (e.g. Line6 Vetta)

In combination with the Quick button I cannot see any inconsistency.

The former "Direct Edit Mode" is a relict of a typical synthesizer use model. We were told earlier, that it does not follow a typical guitar gear paradigm.

• Top level behavior: SINGLE = turn eff. on/off HOLD: focus
    Edit level behavior: SINGLE = focus HOLD: focus
    We were referring to this inconsistency. I would expect SINGLE press to have the same function in both levels. Preferably ON/OFF. ;)

Parts of this paradigm have been established already in earlier products (e.g. Line6 Vetta)

I have never used Vetta, And I don't think majority of KPA users are former users of Vettas. I think most of the people came from STOMPS+AMP world. The former behavior was more like this model. i thought Kemper was taking their way in KPA and not looking at Line6/competitor's product.

The former "Direct Edit Mode" is a relict of a typical synthesizer use model. We were told earlier, that it does not follow a typical guitar gear paradigm.

If the former mode did mimic the stompbox scenario perfectly I don't understand how it is not following... What is typical guitar gear paradigm then?

Despite all this conversation and it's conclusion, could be the old mode reintroduced to new fw. version as an option? Since the change I feel that I like my KPA 10% less because of this. Every editing/tweaking attempt ends up very emotively (in a bad way, of course), followed by KPA shutdown. :(

PS: I spent my 500th post in the best way possible. Replying to CK.
    :P

• ...We were told earlier, that it does not follow a typical guitar gear paradigm.

It seems that whoever told you this, is in the minority. I think the old version was MUCH better. Please make that option (at least) selectable in future firmwares. Currently this really ruins the overall experience for me. You can't imagine how much I swear/struggle when tweaking. It's hugely unintuitive for me. :)

• This. My common scenario during editing or tweaking is: I edit AMP parameters and I need to hear it without eg. reverb, so I hit reverb button to turn it off and I want to continue editing AMP parameters. Now I have to press the reverb button once more and then press AMP button to get back to AMP editing. :( So instead of one button I have to tapdance™ on three times. Why shouldn't edit stay on long button press? :(

I agree this confuses me also I liked the old way single press

• +1

getting inspiration from line6 gear was probably the worst thing that could be done in terms of UI ... now it's counter intuitive to lots of us !!!

direct edit mode was the best mode original mode designed by the KPA team with great attention to the way guitarist setup and control their gear , it was so cool that one could activate FXs directly from the kemper, even in live situation :)