Clean Sense & Distortion Sense + Guitar Volume Pot Interaction .... need some help please .....pretty sure I'm doing something wrong :(

• Hey all

This has me a bit stumped. My "clean" profiles are 5 profiles made up of

-> 2 x DZ30 Ch 1
    -> 2 x AC30 Top Boost
    -> 1 x Div / 13 RSA

These 5 profiles cover my clean tones ranging from clean-to-clipped-clean-to-broken-clean-to-crunchy-clean.

My main guitar [ PRS P90 ] has a "mild" P90 in the bridge [ 8.5k ] and I run my Guitar Volume Pot at around 7 and it works great for each tone.

My Kemper Clean Sense is set to 0 db.

My Problem ?

=> as I turn my Guitar Volume Pot up from 7 to fully on [10] the tones get " dirtier " [ as you would expect ] *BUT* they drop in output volume ?!?!

Any ideas what causes this ?

Is it as simple as [ say ] running my Clean Sense at [ say ] +3db or +5db ? -or- adjusting the Distortion Sense ?

Any help / suggestions would be genuinely appreciated.

Ben

Edited once, last by benifin ().

• Thanks - yes had already seen that.

But it doesn't address or cover the issue of the clean profile getting quieter / less loud as it becomes fully on when the guitar volume is max'd out ?

Ben

• I would try to increase the distortion sense.
    You say your profiles become dirtyer and you get less output.
    If increasing the distortion sense your output schould be equal the same.

Try it out if this isn´t the issue I hope someone else could give you any tipps.

• I would try to increase the distortion sense.
    You say your profiles become dirtyer and you get less output.
    If increasing the distortion sense your output schould be equal the same.

Try it out if this isn´t the issue I hope someone else could give you any tipps.

Nope :) Distortion sense is basically a global increase of gain across all profiles (as in, the gain knob).

OP: What you're looking for is probably a DEcrease in clean sens. Or more specifically: set the clean sense parameter while your guitar volume is on 10, not 7.

• => as I turn my Guitar Volume Pot up from 7 to fully on [10] the tones get " dirtier " [ as you would expect ] *BUT* they drop in output volume ?!?!

that does sound odd.
    increasing the distortion will have the effect of limiting the overall signal by removing high energy transients that some clean tones exhibit,
    but even if there is a decrease in peak volume, the higher RMS of the distorted sound would be perceived as louder.

do you maybe have a booster with negative volume and negative ducking in the rigs?

please pm me, I'd like to take a look at these rigs.

• Looks like everyone's suggestions have solved it.

In short:-

- Set and locked Input Clean Sense to 0 db
    - Had slight negative ducking on the EQ in Slot 3 - now set to 0 db
    - Compressor * in Slot 2 wasn't helping either - so removed it and slightly bumped up the " Cab " Compressor setting in its place

All seems to now be responding as it should - will do some loud stage volume testing to confirm, but all looking good.

My sincere thanks to all here :)

Ben

* - as an aside, there isn't much I don't like -or- that I think is not up to scratch with the Kemper, but the slot Compressor is very ordinary - hard to dial in and very un-transparent .... maybe it will get better with new FW's

Edited once, last by benifin ().

• Agree about the Cab Comp - its brilliant

In my " real-rig-world " I was using a Diamond Yellow Compressor for years - arguably the most transparent / natural guitar compressor you can get for live-front-of-guitar-amp use

I was hoping the KPA Comp would be similar - it isn't :( ...... no dramas or anything, but to my ears, the KPA Slot Comp is very muddy / merky .....

Ben