UPDATED/FIXED New owner - no sound when using front input please help

• Does the Input LED light up when you play something on the guitar?

If not, i would think about a replacement unit from the place where you bought yours. Never heard of a defective input jack before, but it seems like the jack is broken from what i read.

• Are you sure you're using the input and not the headphones out??? Input is the jack to the right. Happened to me a few times and I'm sure to others as well.

I've done this once, and it was when I demod the unit to the most awesome chick I've ever met.

Classic. She just wanted to play Metallica!

• Chruschdy

"Does the Input LED light up when you play something on the guitar?"

nope not the input or output when plugged into the front jack and the "Input" function is set to front.

this is becoming very frustrating for me. Ive just laid out A$2700 for this hoping to have a great experience and its pretty disappointing so far, oh well
    Ive emailed Kemper support maybe they can think of something
    cheers

• The alternative input works because it has a TRS jack, used for returning balanced signals. That's why a higher noise level is acceptable - a balanced signal will provide a cleaner signal to start with. The front input does NOT work because it has a TS jack, as it is designed for a guitar input.

The ring (R of the TRS) would meet where the sleeve is on a TS jack, causing a short. This might work for some equipment, but it simply doesn't for others.

In short, use a proper instrument cable. Why buy a $2000+ unit and try to use cables that weren't even designed for the instrument you use/

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• Great troubleshooting approach, Doug.

Hi dougc84

As per my post to you "with the guitar plugged into the front input jack the output and input light does not illuminate and i dont hear the rig"
    so no, its not registering any activity from the input jack.
    Interesting about the TRS/TS jacks. Ive been using this set up for 6 years running it thru an Axefx, pod hd500x, various VOX and digitech products and never had an issue using the existing cabling. Anyway I appreciate you trying to help me Thanks

It sounds to me as if you dismissed the connector "mismatch", in your mind at least, as being a possible cause of your issue, Joe.

At this point I'd bet my house, if indeed I owned one, that there's nothing wrong with your unit. That would be a great thing, of course, as I too am in Oz and appreciate how bloody long we have to wait for everything!

• Just confirmed, scary yes, but in the interest of helping Aussiejoe a TRS cable does work with sound in the front input jack. HTH, and no I use a TS cable :thumbup: Looking like he has an input jack problem as that input light should show some activity when he strums the guitar.

• Hi Monkey man

"It sounds to me as if you dismissed the connector "mismatch", in your mind at least, as being a possible cause of your issue, Joe."

somewhere along this thread this has gotten misunderstood.
    Im using a standard guitar cable into the input of the Kemper. The monitor speakers I use have only a XLR connector. I was using a IK stealthpedal to connect to the monitors and play thru Amplitube. The Stealth pedal only has 1/4 outputs . So i needed a 1/4 to xlr connecting cable to make it work.
    Regardless of the cables connecting the speakers, if i just use the headphone jack (no speakers connected) i dont get sound thru the front input jack but do thru the alternate jack (using a standard guitar cable) so its the input jack at the front that is the issue not the connections between the Kemper and the speakers
    cheers

• Yeah, I did get you, Joe, as evidenced by my reply earlier:

HI dougc84

Im using a standard guitar cable for input to the Kemper
    The TRS cable is the cable between the speakers and the amp.
    XLR one end TRS the other.
    cheers

Doh!

Lucky I didn't have that house to bet, eh? LOL

Only thing I can think of is something in the settings that's prioritising the aux input over the front one... a reamp setting? Not sure if you've explored this yet, or even if the reset would've wiped the pref... but thought I'd mention it nevertheless.

Fingers crossed for you, mate... I mean, AussieJoe,
    AussieNicky

• I think factory reset would have put it back to plug & play like Kemper wants it when a user receives it. Less support tickets / calls. If you got it from a local shop, I'm with Chruschdy and I'd take it back there first and have it replaced.

• Thanks paults,

yes ill wait until Kemper support come back to me before doing anything else to the unit.

The frustration is that these things are pretty rare in Australia, the retailer I bought from only had a head and a rack and thats all.
    BTW - my units build date is December 2014 (I bought it new yesterday) so they dont sell many here.

Im in Sydney a city of about 4 million people and we have 2 retailers of Kemper equipment, thats it.
    The distributor is in Melbourne 600 miles away.
    Aussies are very poorly served when it comes to music gear
    cheers

• Ok, let's sum a few things up:

1. Front input is TS unbalanced
    2. Alternative input is TRS balanced
    3. Main Outs are XLR balanced or TS unbalanced

I can't argue technically but I have the strong feeling that your issue has to do with the TRS-XLR cables from the main outs to your monitors and some kind of circuit between the front/alternative input, the used cables und the main outs. I'd simply buy or borrow two TS-XLR cables and see what happens.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)