Atomic Amplifire + CLR vs Kemper+ CLR

• Hey guys,

I was wondering whether anyone here has tested both units on the Atomic CLR?
    Specifically the amp modelling itself, not all the bells and whissels.
    What were the biggest differences?

Thanks!

Edited once, last by SloeGin ().

• Hi SloeGin. I haven't tested it with a clr yet but I think the Amplifire is a good modeler.
    To me the Amplifire is a nice product at a low price and I'd pick it over the axe fx2, but in terms of authenticity they both lack compared to the Kemper since you are stuck with how those companies think an amp should feel and sound like.
    Modelers can sound fantastic but you will only get that companys subjective idea of amps. It will always be, "here is our selection of amps". You don't get any real life comparison of the original source and you can't copy the feel, dynamics and sound of your own amp like you can with the kemper using profiling.
    So if you care about authenticity to the real deal then this will always be the dilemma and downside of modelers.
    Many think the ultimate test and goal for a digital amp is to be able to pass a direct A/B comparison with the real amplifier it claims to feel and sound like and I agree with that.
    I think you will get similar answers here like in this thread you started about the feel of kemper vs axe fx.
    The 'feel' - Kemper and Axe FX II

• I own a KPA and played an Amplifire for a couple hours one afternoon with the CLR.

I was impressed with the Amplifire, but it's a different animal. For me the purpose of the KPA was to capture my tones and it does it incredibly well. Amplifire would be great if you need modeling.

If I had to make an Amplifire work long term I would not be bummed as it sounds good, no doubt. I was able to get some great sounds out of it easily and I guess that's what is important. They just weren't my sounds.

• I have the Amplifire as a backup to the KPA. It has some good sounds in it, but nowhere near the flexibility of the KPA. I say pick one up, then when you can afford the KPA, keep the Amplifire as backup ...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Can

I have the Amplifire as a backup to the KPA. It has some good sounds in it, but nowhere near the flexibility of the KPA. I say pick one up, then when you can afford the KPA, keep the Amplifire as backup ...

Semi-OT: Can you compare the Amplifire with Bias FX?
    I'm having some good results by using mDan's Kemper IRs with Bias FX plus Fiddlicator on iPad.
    Obviously using it as a backup.

• Semi-OT: Can you compare the Amplifire with Bias FX?
    I'm having some good results by using mDan's Kemper IRs with Bias FX plus Fiddlicator on iPad.
    Obviously using it as a backup.

I have no experience with Bias FX ...

• I guess it depends what sounds you're after. Goes without saying which is the preferable of the two units.
    The AF is impressive given the lunchbox size it is and if I could take the KPA everywhere I would but when there are travel restrictions the AF is a good substitute.
    here's the reveal:
    https://soundcloud.com/slatebo…ifireright-panned/s-qIDTn

• I guess it depends what sounds you're after. Goes without saying which is the preferable of the two units.
    The AF is impressive given the lunchbox size it is and if I could take the KPA everywhere I would but when there are travel restrictions the AF is a good substitute.
    here's the reveal:
    https://soundcloud.com/slatebo…ifireright-panned/s-qIDTn

You're using regular Kemper Cabinets and IRs for the AF?

• Thanks @slateboy for making that comparison. Ever since I discovered the Palmer speaker emulator and loadbox when I was using tube amps, I've been on a quest to downsize my rig to just a pedalboard, but without compromising on tone. . First was selling my combo amps and getting a couple heads to use with the Palmer. Then the next big jump was to the Kemper. On the Kemper I literally just use one semi clean British sounding profile of a Morgan dual 40 for every gig I play, and I just run my pedals into it. . I'm thinking the amplifire can replace the Kemper for me and allow me easy access to 3 effects via the footswitches without any additional setup, and Ican get rid of several additional pedals on my board (clean boost and modulation for sure). After listening to those clips, I'm definitely pulling the trigger on an amplifire the next time one comes up for sale. Thanks!

• Thanks @slateboy for making that comparison. Ever since I discovered the Palmer speaker emulator and loadbox when I was using tube amps, I've been on a quest to downsize my rig to just a pedalboard, but without compromising on tone. . First was selling my combo amps and getting a couple heads to use with the Palmer. Then the next big jump was to the Kemper. On the Kemper I literally just use one semi clean British sounding profile of a Morgan dual 40 for every gig I play, and I just run my pedals into it. . I'm thinking the amplifire can replace the Kemper for me and allow me easy access to 3 effects via the footswitches without any additional setup, and Ican get rid of several additional pedals on my board (clean boost and modulation for sure). After listening to those clips, I'm definitely pulling the trigger on an amplifire the next time one comes up for sale. Thanks!

Maybe it was me, but I felt that the Amplifire was too much of a tone compromise. I suppose it depends on the tone you're seeking though, and how much variety you need.