New Profiles

• HI

This seems to be one of the only places i can post and I assume it is a relevent place to have this conversation.

I brought my Kemper around October last year and love it along with the profiles available.

I have made many of my own as I am primarily a sound engineer/ producer and have to say I'm pretty impressed with some recent profiles I have made.

Now the decision is wether the world really needs another pack of 6505 and JVM profiles.

I do think i have something special here though.

What are the ins and outs of all this and thinks I should be aware of ?

• Interesting question.

I have been looking very thoroughly for a 5150/6334/6505 1, 2, 3 ... or whatever. Now I could buy all of them and would probably enjoy them all. But I do not do this, not because it is too expensive, but I want to break my profiles down to a number between 25-50 and then really getting to know them. The whole search process made me rethink my profile sorting within and outside Rig Manager. And that again had me to find a way to make this sorting future orientated. In the way of: Did I get me this free pack already? Better download it once more, just to find it sounds like a profile I had had and that I had renamed before. That again made me ruminate about how the market for commercial profiles is going to develop... and here is what I think:

There will always be new profiles of amps being profiled before. And each will differ, be it due to mics or mixers or eq settings being used or just for different playing styles while refining the profile. In other words: If you do not do it, someone else will.

Maybe the question can be taken into real world amps: Does the world need another 5150? Another Dumble clone? The next Fender Reissue?
    Probably yes.

Do I personally need another 5150 after I bought a profile that sounds the way I want a 5150 to sound?
    Probably not.

Long story short, just do it. The commercial market for profiles is going to rise anyway. At least that is what I think will happen.

Cheers man :)

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• No hassle for us: I assume you do not intend to sell them , then share them on the rig exchange.

If you have too many then do a rick pack and share it with a download link on the free rigs section, but It's still a very good idea to upload three of your best profiles on the RIG Ex.

• My lil' brother's a JVM nut, and won't sell his (to buy a KPA) until he hears a profile set that captures all the channels to his satisfaction.

So far, and I can vouch for this, nothing he's heard has come very close to his sounds, so I can't blame him for holding out.

We've only auditioned all the free ones, and will surely try any you give away too, Dave. Who knows, yours just might be the ones, in which case there'd be a guaranteed sale there.

It goes without saying that we'd all really appreciate your profiles' being free... in an ideal world... hint, hint...

• Monkey Man I accept your challenge :)

Just putting together a song demo with the profiles I've made.

I've also di'd the head on each channel, I put this through some testing as it works flawlessly when I swap cabs.

The chain for the most part is :
    Mics - SM57 / Beyer M160
    My DIY (And Very good ) Neve Mic Pre's
    RETRO 2A3 EQ
    and LA3A (Very Good) clone with no compression.

I'll put the demo and some free clips (old ones) up next week.

• I played a JVM for five years before the KPA. In my opinion I am yet to play a profile that does it "just right". So I say bring on the JVM profiles. My go to channels were always Crunch Red, Clean Green and Orange, and OD1 Red for leads.

• From memory I think my brother used mainly the orange or green "gain" channels... or was it orange for gain and green for clean? He's been frustrated, and it happened again tonight, that most folks seem to have profiled the red "gain" one. Sorry about the terminology; I don't know the amp, although I've heard him play it many a time over the years. He was so happy with it he thought he'd never buy another. Then along came his big brother with digital promises that seemed absurd... 'till he heard the Kemper.

Curious, Dave: If you're not limiting with the LA unit, are you just passing the signal through for mojo? I'm not you of course, but I'd have thought that the Neve would've provide all the mojo one could possibly need. I mean, you don't want to do too much; it'd pay to leave a little room for others' (engineers) addition of their kinds of mojo. There are no rules, of course, so please don't take this as a recommendation; I'm just saying this in case it resonates with you in some way.

Finally, if you're indeed going to take the "challenge", it looks as if you're going to have to try to get a decent capture of each channel, possibly at low, mid and high-gain settings.

Good luck with this, bro'.

• RE: the LA3 in the chain with no processing.

Hearing an amp or a drum kit in a room is very different than how a microphone hears it pushed right up close. So being minimalistic in the digital realm isn't always a great way to get natural results for close mic'd instruments.

This is a big reason ribbons work so well because they pickup a little more the way the human ear does. I find this unit (LA3) also imparts a subtle character that also gets us back to what our ears hear in a room.

One of the best quotes I've hear was from Dave Ghrol regarding recording guitars, " sometimes you have to do unnatural things to get a natural sound.