First gig with my Kemper Profiler

• So far, I have only used my profiler at home and due to limited time, have not learnt as much as I would have liked in how to get the best out of it. I made a last minute decision to use the Profiler at a gig last night as I figured I needed to start somewhere. I took my regular gear to the gig too just in case!

The gig was with a six piece band playing a range of styles from classic disco hits to modern pop songs with potential to let rip on a few more rock type songs, so it was a good test for the Profiler. I had no idea if the Profiler set up would work for me as I love the sound of my existing gear which is Strat into Vox AC30HW and quite a large pedal board with some cool sounding toys. Last night, I used Profiler main outs into the PA and monitor out into a Yamaha DXR10. I recently purchased a second hand Behringer fcb1010 via Gumtree and have added the Uno4kemper chip.

About an hour before the gig, I set up the Profiler by choosing two clean sounds and three dirty sounds that suited my playing and thought I would be comfortable with. I used the performance mode and used one bank of 5 sounds to keep things simple. I also calibrated the volume pedal so the tuner would work on the FCB1010 display as I need to silently detune to drop D tuning during a medley. The sounds in my studio were a bit boomy, so I was a bit concerned, but the Vox would be there as a backup plan, so I left for the gig.

Arriving at the venue, I positioned the DXR10 behind me, on an Auralex Gramma, pointing up to my head. I switched input 2 to 'monitor' which I thought would kill any boominess that I was experiencing at home. Firstly, I decided to get a sound through the PA. I needed to adjust the main output volume from the Profiler as the level hitting the PA was way too hot. After getting the level through the PA, I then set the volume level on the DXR10. The clean sound seemed much quieter than the dirty sounds, so I cranked up the input sensitivity to balance out the sounds. I also noticed that the volume pedal on the FCB1010 reduced the drive level on the dirty sounds. When using my Vox and pedal board, I have a volume pedal after my drive pedal so that I can ride the guitars volume pot to achieve a variety of sounds. I might have guitar volume very low through drive pedal and volume high on the volume pedal to get big fat clean sound. After a bit of searching, I set the volume on the Profiler to post effects which suited me better.

We then started to play...

Any concerns that I had of not liking the sound of my Profiler compared to my usual setup quickly disappeared. I have read many threads on Kemper vs real amp and the 'in the room' sound so I wasn't sure what to expect. The result was that I much preferred the Kemper! The band much preferred the sound too. Most of the band use in ear monitoring and for once, they could have a balanced mix of guitar through their headphones. I heard nothing but good comments all night! It was certainly different to the power and fatness of my Vox setup, although that is only really satisfying for me. I don't usually go through the PA at smaller gigs, so the Kemper will give a much better mix for everyone else which is really the most important thing to consider. I found that I could hear myself much clearer and even though I need to do some tweaking to perfect the sounds, the guitar fitted in the mix much better and it was easier to play.

So do I have any negative points? Not really, as they are things that I can rectify. My biggest problem was that when it came time to drop tune, the FCB1010 tuner display didn't work when I moved the volume pedal to zero. I quickly bent down and moved the knob on the Kemper to the tuner setting (luckily not too far to turn it off!) to silently drop tune. I presume that I simply need to re-calibrte the FCB1010 as it was working at the start of the gig. The issue with rig volumes not matching didn't seem to be a problem at gig level and I set the clean sensitivity back to 0. I turned off the 'monitor' setting on the DXR10 as if anything, the sound was a bit thin. Setting the switch to the centre position resolved this problem.

To summarise, my first gig with the Profiler was a resounding success! It went much better than I had hoped for. Now I have a setting that works for me, I am so looking forward to all the fun I can have with the virtually unlimited possibilities this box can offer. I will be backing up my Profiler today so my settings are safe. I thought I would share my experience with the Profiler on here in case there are other users out there who have not yet used it live as I was very apprehensive. Does it replace a real amp live? Oh yes!! And it has so much more to offer.

• To summarise, my first gig with the Profiler was a resounding success! It went much better than I had hoped for. Now I have a setting that works for me, I am so looking forward to all the fun I can have with the virtually unlimited possibilities this box can offer. I will be backing up my Profiler today so my settings are safe. I thought I would share my experience with the Profiler on here in case there are other users out there who have not yet used it live as I was very apprehensive. Does it replace a real amp live? Oh yes!! And it has so much more to offer.

Excellent write-up, Guitarjazzman. Glad to hear things went well for you, and you had much success with your first KPA gig.

• Thanks everyone. I thought a summary might be helpful to other new users.

I'm now wondering if the Profiler Remote would be a better choice than the FCB1010. I didn't order one originally as they are quite expensive and I didn't know if the KPA would work for me. I presume I would also need to purchase two expression pedals to have the same functionality as the FCB1010?

• @Guitarjazzman, I was laughing as I read your original post because it sounds so similar to my story from two weeks ago. Even right down to our choice of amps: the Vox AC30HW (mine is currently up for sale).

I also play with a cover band that plays pretty much the same style of music. I'm curious which profiles you landed on for your gig, and if you are going to stick with them. Sounds like we both have to cover a lot of ground.

Glad your gig went well.

Husband, Father, Pajama Enthusiast

• Thanks @mightypudge. It must have been strange to read someone else in your exact same situation. So you are selling the Vox? I don't want to sell mine as I still love the sound of it and like to have a real amp around, but the Kemper is so good that I will probably sell the Vox at some point.

I haven't got any specific favourite profiles yet. Saturday's gig was a real last minute decision so I sorted profiles by gain structure in Rig Manager, randomly chose some and tried to find sounds that would work for me and were familiar. I haven't purchased any profiles yet as I am going to wait and see what works over the next few gigs. I have already set up various banks in performance mode with similar profiles to what I used on the first gig so that I can quickly try variations out. I didn't have time on Saturday to get into stomps and effects and I also wanted to keep things simple for the first attempt. Once I find sounds that are working for me, I will probably look into purchasing some profiles.

Have you got any favourite profiles that are working well for you? Also, what foot controller are you using? I am wondering whether to order the Kemper Remote although I would also have to purchase two expression pedals if I am to have the same functionality as the FCB1010, so that will wait for a while I think.

• Note that you can change the position of the volume-pedal in the virtual signal chain. Put it at the end of the chain (post effects) if you want it control the volume with no effect on tone on crunch/beakup tones (RigSettings/page3).

• @Guitarjazzman Yeah, I put the Vox AC30 up on eBay. I'd keep it but I have no use for it in my current situation. I live in an apartment so I can't play it at home, and I can't lift it anymore. I'm using the Kemper Remote with a Dunlop DVP3 expression pedal handling the wah duties.

As for favorite profiles, I landed on quite a few yesterday at rehearsal, all from Michael Britt's profile packs. I would say the Suhr Hedgehog profiles were the most versatile and seemed to work with pretty much everything we do, from the 60's to 90's stuff. For a few songs I used the Ceriatone Overdrive Special SRV profiles as they absolutely nail that tone. My other favorites of the day were the Friedman Dirty Shirley, Friedman Pink Taco, Vox AC30, and Victoria Double Deluxe profiles.

• Thanks for the recommendations on profiles, I will check them out. I have read quite a few positive comments regarding the Michael Britt profiles. There are so many profiles and variations available for the Kemper that I could do with a week off to get to grips with it. Unfortunately that isn't possible, so I will continue to chip away at it.

Good luck with selling the Vox. I hope you get a good price as it is a great amp. I never use mine at home either so will no doubt get it on Ebay at some point too.

Can you use the DVP3 for wah on some profiles and volume on others? The way I use my AC30 is with a volume pedal after my drive pedal but not on the same signal chain as my clean sound (I use a looper strip). If I could have one expression pedal and have it as a wah option on clean sounds, then have it operating as a volume on some lead channels. that would suit me perfectly. Saying that, I will probably totally change the way I control things with the Kemper as I learn to use it anyway.

• Good luck with selling the Vox. I hope you get a good price as it is a great amp. I never use mine at home either so will no doubt get it on Ebay at some point too..

I was thinking back and forth about selling my AC 30 HW (as the last of my tube amps).
    After realizing I hadn't actually played it for a year I sold it locally for 1300.- Euro.

• Thanks for the recommendations on profiles, I will check them out. I have read quite a few positive comments regarding the Michael Britt profiles. There are so many profiles and variations available for the Kemper that I could do with a week off to get to grips with it. Unfortunately that isn't possible, so I will continue to chip away at it.

It can be very overwhelming at first. I spent an entire day auditioning profiles the day before my gig, and I barely scratched the surface as to what is available. Luckily using Rig Manager you can really narrow down your search if you have an idea of the tone you're after.

• It can be very overwhelming at first. I spent an entire day auditioning profiles the day before my gig, and I barely scratched the surface as to what is available. Luckily using Rig Manager you can really narrow down your search if you have an idea of the tone you're after.

Rig manager certainly does help with organisation, although I do have problems using it to organise performances. Most of the edits I made in Rig Manager would not transfer to the KPA so I ended up creating performances actually on the KPA.

• TAF actually has a very usable set of Vox profiles that you should check out. What's nice about them (apart from the fact that Andy is good at what he does) is that there is a lot of them to choose from making it easier to find one you like as a starting point.