Airis Effects Savage Drive

• I'm the proud new owner of an Airis Effects Savage Drive. (http://www.airiseffects.com/) This is a high-quality, hand-built/wired OD pedal with an indestructible metal case and true bypass on the switch. I've only had a day to mess with it, but it's a keeper. It features Drive, Output, Bite, and Tight knobs. The output can be set much hotter than a standard Tube Screamer, and the Bite and Tight knobs also feature a wide range of tweakability. It's a bit odd how Bite and Tight interact at first, but you can always find the sweet spot to overdrive your amp (err... profiles). You can also find some not so sweet spots at extreme settings, but maybe they have their time and place...

I'll post some clips soon, and intend to compare what it can do vs. the KPA's Green Scream effect model. I don't really care for the standard Tube Screamer sound - it can be a bit thin and/or harsh for my tastes. I really like the Maxon OD820 though. Many of my favorite profiles are from SaundLeb (formerly SoundLab) and Premier Profiles who both use it as a boost. I feel like this pedal can get those tones and more. And the distortion on it is pretty smooth and natural sounding - unusual for pedal distortion.

This may sound like a sales pitch...I have no affiliation with Airis Effects, other than an old internet friendship with Rick, the owner and sole employee. We met on the SSO forum discussing the best ways to get brutal metal sounds from the Pod HD. He's a fun guy and a much better guitarist than me, and I have an album of his that's pretty great. I do want him to succeed in his endeavor and recommend you check his page and product line out. But I would not recommend anything I haven't personally used or don't believe in - I try to look out for all guitarists, especially this great community.

The one thing I don't like about the pedal is that the LED's are really bright - so bright that you can barely see the graphic (which is awesome BTW) on the pedal. But you will know when it's on!

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I see this pedal come up a lot on the ERGNerds group on Facebook. Rick posts a lot on the group over there. It's a freaking cool pedal. I'm usually after something a little more along the lines of "saturated crunch," so those brutal sounds aren't really what I go for on my tone (though I do love them). Otherwise, I would have picked up one of these long ago.

Congrats on the new pedal. OH! And as far as the LEDs, if you're handy with a soldering iron, just add a couple resistors inline (2.5K should help tone it down a smidge, much more might be a little dim, but you could always inline more than 1 for less brightness). If not, put some Elmers glue on them. It's translucent - the color will shine through - and removing it is just a matter of lifting it off with your fingernails.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• Congrats on the new pedal. OH! And as far as the LEDs, if you're handy with a soldering iron, just add a couple resistors inline (2.5K should help tone it down a smidge, much more might be a little dim, but you could always inline more than 1 for less brightness).

Ditto. That's why I always put a little trimmer inside all the pedals I build. Some people enjoy the eyescorchers (mostly ones that play outside a lot) and some like it tamed down.
    As stated, if you've ever soldered anything, adding resistors to leds is a piece of cake.

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.

• more savagery:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.