In ear monitoring with KPA

• Just a thought, is there any way to use an in ear monitoring device without using a repeater? Plug something into the KPA and hear your signal/sound via an in ear device?

:thumbup: "A single note can be short lived but a melody will last a life time." Paul Muller

• I feed the FOH desk with main outs and I get a full band mix in my ears. I also use space on the main outs which really compliments the use of IEM

I havnt tried using the space setting on the FOH feed. Seems it would blur the sound quite a bit?

My band is considering going the in-ear route, but we'd be doing it totally self sufficiently (looking after our own mix with no feed or input from the sound man). It's become quite the research project trying to figure out the best method!

Intrested to see what suggestions might appear in this thread. :)

• Awesome. Funny you mention the QU16. We just finished playing a mini tour last week with a band that all use iem's, and that desk is exactly what they were using. I checked it out pretty closely and it seemed pretty amazing. They also used the iPad app to adjust their iem mixes.

Seemed like a very elegant solution. Looks like I'm going to have to study up on it a bit more now. Cheers.

• I am using Sennheiser EW300. I also use a DXR8 to get amp feel on stage. all the bandmembers use in ear.
    it work fine for me, and i am used to inear for about 15 years.. I have always used an amp on stage, so I dint think i am going to get rid of the DXR

• Thanks for all the great feedback. I want to start using IEM but some of the guys don't, so I am doing a solo thing. If they want to go that route them they can later on down the line. For me, I am know to the IEM and haven't purchased or researched the method of exactly how to go about using them. Anyway advice or pointing me in that direction would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, this is solely for me and I want to learn more about it.

:thumbup: "A single note can be short lived but a melody will last a life time." Paul Muller

• I am using Sennheiser EW300. I also use a DXR8 to get amp feel on stage. all the bandmembers use in ear.
    it work fine for me, and i am used to inear for about 15 years.. I have always used an amp on stage, so I dint think i am going to get rid of the DXR

What hardware do you use to mix each players IEMs? Do you have the sound man do it or is ot self managed?

I have considered just taking the leap and going with in ears but I'm not sure how well it would work if I was the only one in the band using them. If i was going to be the only one using IEM's I'd probably just feed my guitar signal straight from the kempers monitor out to my ears, with no mixing or monitoring of the other instruments. From your experience do you think this would be acceptable? (possibly way too isolating?) Or do you really need the whole band using them to see a real benefit?

• What hardware do you use to mix each players IEMs? Do you have the sound man do it or is ot self managed?

I have considered just taking the leap and going with in ears but I'm not sure how well it would work if I was the only one in the band using them. If i was going to be the only one using IEM's I'd probably just feed my guitar signal straight from the kempers monitor out to my ears, with no mixing or monitoring of the other instruments. From your experience do you think this would be acceptable? (possibly way too isolating?) Or do you really need the whole band using them to see a real benefit?[/quote]

We have our own monitor mix from the aux of a mixer, Presonus Studiolive. The way i use it. Ihave the unit inside my guitar rack, so when i am doing session jobs with other than my band I just get a cable from the soundman an plug it in. then i have my own in ear monitoring, no mather what the others have!

I try to have the monitormix nearly the same as whats going out in the PA, then I am always sure my guitars stay exactly where i want to be in the mix! I always use a guitar amp on stage.. and now my live setup is Kemper+DXR8 to get the ampfeel
    It work very well for me

In a band its not nessesary that all use in ears. in my previous band the bassplayer used and good old monitor on stage.
    The reason we are useing it now is because it is less gear to carry, no monitors no monitoramps and so on.. and we can have a deasent volumelevel on stage.. no soundcolouring from minitors in the vocalmics.. nice and clean looking stage

• That sounds like a really nice set up. Which IEM system do you use? I think wireless would be best but which system at an affordable price? Any recommendations?

• That sounds like a really nice set up. Which IEM system do you use? I think wireless would be best but which system at an affordable price? Any recommendations?

This may be obvious, but the choice of IEM is as important as the choice of the FRFR for on stage monitoring....and the good ones are close to being as expensive. I chose 1964 EARS from everything that was available at the January 2104 NAMM show. They are custom molded and sound fantastic. I use them to audition rigs, setup performances, and live.

We use a proprietary Allen & Heath system for wired personal monitoring. It gives us individual control of our monitor mix, without yelling/waving our arms at the sound man.

I don't need wireless, as I pretty much stand in one place. Our drummer is wired also.

• MIPro 808 wireless with Aurisonics Forte's for me pure bliss!! I think it's very economical solution at $900 total! Andy's (Aurisonics)company in Nashville is a great bunch of guys. Fantastic Consumer service!!