So I bought an Axe Fx Ax8 and I have been profiling my preset as I make them...

• Maybe they want anything profile profilt money related to be located in the commercial profile section?
    Did you indicate that you first had planned to make them for sale, then decided to release for free?
    Some might see this frequently bumped thread as marketing for a potential profile pack and people are suggested to donate for the work put in if they want to.
    Maybe it's best to have this thread in the free profile section without donation link, or in the commercial section with donation link?

• Same thing . ."Access blocked" . . . are you doing all the AX8 presets? All 220? Really?

Fractal is sending out invites pretty quick now for the AX8, last I saw they were in early January. My date is 2/7. Not sure if I will get it but I have a little time before I have to make up my mind. Tho having a 4 minute looper sure would be nice. I wish the KPA had a better looper.

• I did the same thing myself and the kempers profiling wasn't even close to the original AFX's tone and feel.

This experience along with my profiling experience makes me question the Kempers ability to accurately capture a sound. :/

• I thought the process would be as simple too but it isn't. Why is it?

I'm working on them!

10 done so far. If it was as easy as just hitting profile and refine I would be done by now but I will not accept less than 98%. The whole point is accuracy.

• I profiled the AX8 when I had it briefly, I had 75% of the presets profiled. Was a huge pain to get it somewhat near accurate.

All I had enabled on the AX8 were the amp and cab.

Heres a tip though, use the profile you made of the preset to re-profile the preset, it somehow gets closer.

also I found in a lot of cases, refining made the profile more different.

finally, play around with the definition and sag knobs to really dial the profile in.

• also, some amps the kemper couldn't nail at all, not even close. The gain structure was way off.

I got pretty frustrated at the whole experience and the fact that my existing 3rd party profiles sounded so much better than what I was able to do made it worse.

In my experience, getting the low end and gain correct were the most difficult. What about you Deadpan?

• I find the gold in refining. Not just refining but using eqs and such during refining to trick the Kemper.

Had a hell of a time with the HBE model, ended up changing the IR to the stock for the HB model and it profiled well. So maybe certain IR'S give the Kemper trouble.

The profiles of the stock Axe are ok, not great. There are a few that I really like however I have made some presets and profiled them that are awesome and I feel rival the best commercial profiles. I am considering releasing some on the commercial side. Doing some more testing before I make the move. The most amazing quality is that I am getting profiles that are super great mid gain, turn the gain down and they are amazing clean, add a boost and they are top for gain sounds, oh, and super clear. Haven't experimented with morphing yet but I imagine they will kill for this.

• Yes, our deadpan seems to be getting the knack for this.

I did the same thing myself and the kempers profiling wasn't even close to the original AFX's tone and feel.

This experience along with my profiling experience makes me question the Kempers ability to accurately capture a sound. :/

I don't know, mate. I'd have thought it has more than proven its ability to cut the mustard over the past 4+ years.

I profiled the AX8 when I had it briefly, I had 75% of the presets profiled.

I realise you weren't happy with them, klarts, but mate, I reckon a whole heap of us, including myself, would really appreciate your popping them up on the Exchange.

Doable?

• From my little experience with profiling/editing profile, I notice that Maxing out (or close to it) the Sag while also cranking up the Bias and lowering the tube response gets you in the ball park of how most modelers feel. It's not a terrible thing and for those of us who've used modeling for a while, it almost feels familiar even though it's not how real tube amps response. You can get some interesting thick aggressive tones that might fit some genres and sound very good in an unnatural way or not authentically similar to tube amps.

The second thing that I notice that is unique to the Kemper is treble/presence are better than any processor I have ever tried. sometimes adding treble or presence fatten the sound as it gives it more definition. So when you profile a modeler preset and later add the eq from Kemper, it definitely improves over the actual modeler preset. I still have POD HD, Eleven Rack, Bias and Amplitube, I have a profile of twin from the HD 500, that sounds significantly better than the original HD patch.

Why I'm saying this deadpan is just my suggestion that you might want to try utilize or experiment with this concept where you get the base sound from the Modeler without major focus on accuracy and do the sweetening/improvement using the KPA Amp parameters.

• I'll post a couple this weekend. I would say that through a lot of work, some profiles ended up being close to the AX8 and some sounded good enough to where the tone is pleasant and usable. In any case, I added my own tweaks to the profiles with stomp eqs but you can still get the original direct tone by turning off the stomp effects. Also all my tweaks were done with purecab and headphone space on so you need to use my settings to hear what I hear.

• Cool, looking forward to trying them.

Here is a sample of one of my Tweedy profiles. First is the profile with gain turned down, second actual profile and third is added Green Scream.

Note this is a mahogany guitar with hum buckers.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Interesting thoughts, Dean, and thank you for sharing them, mate!

Hey, hope you're OK; haven't seen you around these here parts for a while and have been wondering how you are...

Thanks, I'm still hanging out here, but but have been dedicating most of my free time working on putting a guitar together, sanding measuring, soldering..I've been reading and enjoying all your posts mate.