Advice on digitall wireless system

• I noticed something weird last night when playing thru headphones with the G70. A very loud hum, which I don't get if I play thru my frfr speaker. I then disconnected the Line 6 transmitter cable from my guitar, used a regular instrument cable and the hum went away.Anyone experienced the same? What could it be?

I've experienced something similar with my G90 a couple times. More of a squeal than hum actually. The first time it happened I was convinced that the receiver was broken. Repeated power-cycling didn't help. Everything looked normal on the display/LEDs and the receiver was quiet until the transmitter was turned on and then started squealing. It turned out to be a badly seated power-cable on the receiver. I thought these digital units would either work fully or not at all, but obviously not so.

Edited once, last by heldal ().

• Not sure what could be going on there. I'm not super familiar with the G70 but I'd assume it should not be bleeding the charge with the bodypack turned off. Would be a pain if you had to remove the batteries each night.

Let us know if you find anything with the G70 battery eating behavior. I'm sure it'd be helpful info down the road for others with the same unit.

Yeah. Thats correct. I went with the "pro" model as they have a higher mAh capacity which significantly increases their runtime in high drain devices. Not sure an IEM bodypack reciever would be classed as high drain (my use of the batt's), but I'd bet a bodypack transmitter would. I was just covering my bases :) I seem to only need to charge each pair once per week on heavy practice/gig weeks, so 500 cycles of the 4 batteries should last me about 10 years.. I think that'll be ok. lol.. pretty good for a $30 outlay!

You're right, I thought about it after writing the comment. The pro should last you a long time. :)

As for the fast discharge, that's probably because I left the transmitter "ON" overnight. I thought the "sleep" function would drain very little, but it doesn't. It's probably only useful if you leave the guitar on a stand for 5 mn.

• I've experienced something similar with my G90 a couple times. More of a squeal than hum actually. The first time it happened I was convinced that the receiver was broken. Repeated power-cycling didn't help. Everything looked normal on the display/LEDs and the receiver was quiet until the transmitter was turned on and then started squealing. It turned out to be a badly seated power-cable on the receiver. I thought these digital units would either work fully or not, but obviously not so.

I will check again the connection (using the Line6 usb plug), but the more I read about it, the more I think I have a ground loop when using the 2 outputs A/B (Twin reverb / Kemper->powered Wedge). A shame there is no ground lift on the Relay g70 output B. only on output C (balanced XLR, which I can't use in my setup).

• I will check again the connection (using the Line6 usb plug), but the more I read about it, the more I think I have a ground loop when using the 2 outputs A/B (Twin reverb / Kemper->powered Wedge). A shame there is no ground lift on the Relay g70 output B. only on output C (balanced XLR, which I can't use in my setup).

It's a shame the relay G70 does not have a ground lift on output B. It has one in output C, but I need to use unbalanced cables in my setup.
    Can I use output C with an XLR-TS cable without damaging the receiver? Something like that, to connect outputC to my twin reverb and use the "ground lift" button on the back of the relay receiver to address the ground loop?

• XLR-TS test did not work. No sound at all.

A shame the G70 does not have a ground lift on output B. I might try another ABY box, like Radial Twin-City or Fulltone Tru-Path. I've heard very good things about the Twin City. Any opinions on the Fulltone?

• Update, I've done plenty gigs with the G75 now and can say this device is great. I've experienced no latency or dropouts or such things. (Knock on wood and always scan before the gig starts). And the cabletone feature does a great job to get the sound of a cable. So a happy user here, cheers.

• I noticed though that the transmitters interfere with my wi-fi at home. Everytime I use it, my laptop located 1 meter away from me loses connection. As soon as I turn off the transmitter, the wi-fi signal comes back.
    Very annoying.

• Hi in my band setup we are using the router in the 5ghz band. My Ipad used for monitoring on a mackie dlr32 is not interferenced by the g75 wich is in close distance to the Ipad. So running your wifi router in the 5ghz band will solve your problem I think.

• I never had problems with latency on 2.4ghz wireless systems, but there can be occasional dropouts in the right circumstances. Try a busy festival stage in the summer with loads of wireless signals around and the range will be limited.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Just tried with 5ghz... No interference anymore... Thx for the tip guys.

Yep that is the momentary future.
    Still my G30 (2,4 GHz) works quite good. But I am alone on the stage with this.
    I have read that in the praxis you can use max 3-4 Channels of the existing 6 at the same stage.

• Same. We switched our mixers router to only use the 5ghz wifi band, and that solved my occasional audio signal dropouts with my Shure GLXD 2.4ghz wireless.

Our lights however all run with wireless wifi dongles - and they still have occasional issues when playing to a larger audience. Damn cell phones and their wifi!

• It's got to be said that my old Sennheiser EW100 G2 UHF system is still a lot more reliable. I am not sure which countries it is legal in anymore, but never any dropouts.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7