Prep for Thor Gig, Sat. May 14th at Highline Ballroom!

• Hey Everyone-

Thanks for all the words of advice and welcome to the forum and Kemper family.

I've had my Profiler for 7 days and really can't get over how remarkable this thing is.

There was an extreme amount of anxiety about this gig as I have only been working on the set for about 4 weeks. I have been a Rocktron Chameleon user for over 25 years and I have been extremely happy with that unit in terms of it's flexibility and longevity. It has never once needed servicing or repair.

However, as with anything it has had it's minor shortcomings and I knew that I needed the best modeling type of amp in order to cover the material going back to 1977 through the 80's. The bad has gone through several different line-ups and musical approaches and I wasn't going to be able to nail those tones with my former set-up. It took 2 weeks to get the Kemper and I was on pins and needles the whole time waiting fearing that I wouldn't have enough time to program and get comfortable with the foot controller. I spent those two weeks reading the manuals and watching all the video tutorials so I was ready when I opened the box for the first time. So after all the buildup and anticipation, I was horribly disappointed as I went through about 200 rigs as the sound was unbearable. Everything sounded the same, harsh and buzzy. I went to bed concerned I would have to return it and start programming my Rocktron for the set. Instead I woke up convinced it was operator error and sure enough, quickly found out that I had the cab simulator locked off for the main outs feeding my DAW.

Within 2 days I had over 90% of the material programmed and laid out for changes on the controller. It was a bit of a head switch to get used to kicking individual FX on and off within one rig as opposed to having a completely different patch change and a slight balancing act with my big dumb stage boots to ballet toe-tap to get the second row of buttons but I really couldn't be happier. Having the tuner built in to the controller is a huge plus and great for muting the guitar when needed.

I started with the High Watt rigs to get the bulk of the base tones from the album, "Keep the Dogs Away" recorded in Canada in 1977. Adding vintage FX like the Boss Chorus and Big Muff were mind blowing. Just perfect. Other sounds needed radically different approaches and I pulled up some great Marshall and Fenders as well. The speed and ease of getting this stuff together was so satisfying. I have always been a knob twiddler and early adopter of MIDI preamps going back to the ADA but the Kemper is beyond anything I have ever worked with before. Once all my programming was done, I pulled it out of the DAW and put it into a power amp and a 4x12. Unsurprisingly, this was another level of incredible satisfaction as the sound jumped out of the cab, punchy and ultra-responsive. I so wish I had this amp 25 years ago when I got started and was playing in so many different cover bands that I had to struggle to get even close to the tones I needed to program. I feel like joining a wedding band just to experience the challenge of taking a couple of hundred songs and simply crushing the task of nailing each individual sound.

This is the most fun I have had in a long time with music and simply the best piece of gear I have ever owned. Kudos to the engineering that went into the design and build of this thing. I am sure I will have suggestions on how to improve things in a few weeks but for now I am just in happy bliss getting ready for the show tomorrow knowing that my ass is covered.

If anyone is in the NYC area tomorrow, come hear it for yourself!!

Thank you Kemper!

• @Paul LaPlaca Good to know that you didn't return the Kemper because of the Cab sim error!!! Pleased to know that you are on to what you really need. There are not only professional profiles, but a whole host of very good amateur profiles in the rig exchange.

Hope you and the audience has a great time at the gig. Sorry I can't be there - it's difficult to get there spontaneously from across the water. :thumbup:

• Doing my own profiles is definitely on the to do list after this gig.

I think the overall focus for most people has been to capture these glorious tube amps in all their glory while the hyper polished, slick, solid state stuff is the red haired step-kid.

Definitely want a full tool belt but so much great tube stuff to sort through first.

I'm still just in the factory rigs too! Can't wait to get on the gear exchange and wade through the starter pack.

• Really well.

The sounds were perfect.

I was also slightly worried that I wouldn't be able to get the thing to feedback like a normal amp but damn, the thing sang like a bird.

Couldn't be happier.

Looking forward to exploring the beginner pack and the rig exchange. Gonna take the next two days off though.

• Congrats!! That's great news :thumbup:

• Hey Jim-

Here is the info from this past show, taken from the show page "THOR A Rock Odyssey Live In NY" on FB:

Christopher Totaro- Keyboards, Lead Vocals on HEAL
    Lauren Fabio- Princess, Lead vocals NY Energy City
    Scott Jackson- Bass
    Paul LaPlaca-Lead Guitar, Keyboards on HEAL
    Vick LeCar- Lead Guitar
    Brian Kozenek- Guitar On Dogs Album
    Frank Soda-Guitar on Heal & NYEC, co writer both
    Julia Totaro- Show Interviewer
    TITANO STRONGMEN- Shane Oddfellow
    Frank D'Erasmo- Hammer Fashioner
    Walking Monster-Anthony Johnson
    The Evil Wizard-Ian Jane
    Steve KAPELONIS-Eva's Kitchen Catering & co writer NYEC
    Robert Conley-Road Manager
    Eric McConnell- Assistant in pre production
    Mark Weiss Photography, interview & finding old photos
    Ron Akiyama-Photography
    Marawara Productions-for Filming the show
    Jon-Mikl Thor-THOR, Lead Vocals
    Richard Fabio-Drums, prop builder, videos
    Show Writers- Jon Mikl, Lauren Fabio, Rick Fabioi
    Show Production-Fabio Productions LLC 973-713-5011

Don't think there is a solid current line up for live shows but this was the most recent group of people to play with him. Proud to be among them!!

• I did!

Fantastic stuff.

Here is the set list, we ran out of time and had to cut a few towards the end;

• THOR OPENING 2016 by THOR
    • Keep the Dogs Away by THOR in A
    • Sleeping Giant by THOR in
    • Catch a Tiger by THOR in C
    • I'm So Proud by THOR
    • Tell me Lies by THOR in C
    • Military Matters by THOR in
    • Superhero by THOR in F
    • Wasted by THOR in C
    • ROSIE by THOR in C
    • THUNDER by THOR in A
    • Mushroom World by THOR in