How do you all use the morphing feature?

• I haven't upgraded to the newest firmware yet because I need to know that the majority of the bugs are worked out before I can use it without fear in a gig setting. But I'm REALLY anxious to do it so I can check out the morphing. Which lead me to a couple questions about it:

• How have you all used the morphing feature? Have you run into any unexpected surprises (good or bad)?
    • From what I've read and understand, you can morph MOST of the settings of an individual rig. Normally, I'd have a bunch of different rigs, (i.e. my main rhythm tone, a clean tone, solo tone, etc.). In the past, I've used a g-system, and one of the things that I liked about it, was the ability to have a dedicated "boost" switch. So for tones that weren't an actual lead tone, but needed a little extra "umph" once in a while, I could hit that switch and boost it by a few dB. I was thinking, with the morphing feature, I could take my main rhythm tone, and have it set as a standard rhythm tone at the heal down position, and then at toe down, it could morph into my solo tone (boost in volume, slight boost in gain, different reverb/delay mixes and volumes, add in a MXR Phase90 for the Van Halen solos, etc).

Is that all doable? If so, I'm thinking this could be REALLY useful on so many levels because it'd also free up a dedicated "solo" rig in each of my performances, if I can have the solo tones built right into each rig and just access them via morphing. Not to mention the other uses (smooth fades from clean tones to distorted, etc.).

One other question, is there any educated guesses as to how long it may be before 4.0 moves out of beta mode and is deemed mostly ready for gig use? I know it's all speculation. But I didn't know if Kemper has been relatively consistent in their timeframes.

• I'm only using morphing with one of the projects I'm playing with, but I use it to transition between very different sounds. For example, there's a song where the verse part consists of a fuzzy tone through a long delay with the mix on 100% wet, but at the end of a couple of bars there are some clean, dry staccato stabs that I play, and morphing makes it very quick and easy to jump between the two. Much easier and less haphazard than if I had to hit a switch or two. I too like the idea of setting up solo boosts for each slot, but that'll be useful with the other main group I play with.

As for when it will be out of Beta, I have no clue. For me, the sticker is the lag in the display on the Remote, the 'disappearing' performance issue and the slightly laggy behaviour of the Wah function. Once these issues are fixed, I'll happily use FW4.x for everything, but at the moment it's restricted to this one project, where things are ok to be a little loose.

• I use morph in a few ways:

1) For a volume boost, different EQ and activation of delay + tweak of reverb-delay mix on dirty patches.

2) As a gain/volume control with tweaks to amp definition and other parameters, when I'm playing on clean/medium gain profiles. Very musical.

3) For zany effects. You can tweak some of the effects, such as tremolo, or micropitch, from low to high values for some interesting effects that would work similar to how a pitch shifter functions when you step on and step off it in short bursts.

• For me, the sticker is the lag in the display on the Remote, the 'disappearing' performance issue and the slightly laggy behaviour of the Wah function.

I'm with you on that. Those are the primary reasons I'm not ready to upgrade yet. Looking forward to doing it though!

• I'm just starting to use Morphing, concentrating on simplifying changes needed for specific songs in our live set.

1) I've used it to recreate one of my old G-Gystem effects: the pedal crossfades from dry tap tempo tremelo to a big reverb. This is a very versatile effect for rootsy music. (I occasionally also play with a band that does songs that are perfect for this kind of sound)

2) Big Solo Delay to Huge Sustaining delay: At heel, it is a quarter note delay, mixed a bit lower than the original notes, with a repeat or two. At toe, both the delay mix and feedback are increased enough to let a single note sustain for several measures.

3) Main Sound/lighter Main Sound: rather than needing two separate rigs, heel is my main Jubilee sound. Toe is a tweaked version of that sound, with a bit less gain, and the volume turned up to level it with the main sound. It also has some EQ tweaks, and amp parameter changes. Note: I don't use the pedal with this one - I just press the Rig/Slot switch a second time to change the sound.

4) Octave Solo- the pedal mixes in a doubled detuned note an octave higher than the original, and makes the delays louder, too.

• I'm with you; haven't upgraded yet. In fact, I haven't even done 3.3 yet, though I think I'm going to do that this week. There's so much noise on this site with those that expressed issues. Some solved them, discovering they were user errors or misunderstandings. Others were voicing concerns with 4.01 and might have been fixed already. Hard to sort out and know. I really don't want to install it and have intermittent issues at critical times, then have to go back. While most seem to be using it with no issues, there are a few and I'd rather wait and know that I won't have issues. There's likely a reason that Kemper haven't elevated 4.0X to an official release as they are likely still working some bugs out. As much as I'm dying to implement some of the new features in 4.0, I'll wait.