IEM wiring live

• Hello
    how do you use IEMs with kemper? do you run the mix from the mixer in the alternative and return input (so you have a stereo mix), and the IEM in the headphone out of kemper?

cheers

• Yes, exactly. Generally speaking: very comfortable and avoids the need for an additional submixer for mixing the guitar and the Monitor signal from FOH.

The only problem is that mixing the Aux Input to the Headphone Output will add it to the Monitor Output at the same time.
    This means: The aux signal will appear on a FRFR-monitor if connected to the Monitor output at the same time (or even worse: on a guitar cab connected to a speaker output).
    I wish that Aux could be routed to Headphone and Monitor Output separately (see my Feature request thread: Auxiliary Input: Separate Volumes for aux input to Monitor Output and aux input to headphone - support it if you like ;) )

BW, Sebastian

• The only problem is that mixing the Aux Input to the Headphone Output will add it to the Monitor Output at the same time.

So how can I avoid this? running the FOH mix and the monitor out (is there an alternative to monitor out, if I want to use a speaker and Iem?) into a 2 channel mixer, and then from the headphone out of the mixer in my IEMs?

Edited once, last by keefLB ().

• So how can I avoid this? running the FOH mix and the monitor out (is there an alternative to monitor out, if I want to use a speaker and Iem?) into a 2 channel mixer, and then from the headphone out of the mixer in my IEMs?

USE XLR OUT left for mono or left and right for stereo to FOH

• Thanks for This idea ..Just ordered some Westone Am pro 30 IEM along with Rolls Pm55P to try to make the switch to a wired IEM. Rolls is a personal mixer of sorts.For some reason I had not even considered using the kemper to make the mix. I don`t think Ive ever even used the headphone jack ! Any others doing this or any tips ? will it put mono mix in both earpieces ? Able to turn up guitar volume independant of mix anf FOH ? which configurations ?

• Thank you fr your email. The only way to have a mono signal appear on both sides of a headphone is by sending it to the return and the alternative input at the same time using a split cable.
    The Aux in signal can not be treated with any of the effects in the Profiler including Space. The Aux in signal is directly forwarded to the min outs where it gets mixed with the processed signal from your guitar.
    A response from support for the benefit of others perhaps

• Hi Everyone,
    Just be aware that if you take a split mono aux feed into the return and alternative inputs on the Kemper, to use via headphone out for an IEM mix, that feed should not include your guitar signal.
    You'll get lots of weird phasing if you have your guitar in the aux feed as it will clash with the signal coming directly from the Kemper' headphone out.
    Take guitar out of the aux mix and you'll
    get mono band monitoring in both ears, with stereo guitar mixed in directly from the Kemper.
    Of course, this means you'd need your own dedicated aux from the desk.
    If you have to share aux mixes from the desk, someone else has to lose guitar, or you need to find another routing.
    Consequently, I get the FOH mix via utility out on my desk. Difficult sometimes as there is no 'more me' control.
    Hope this helps.
    Pre-Amp

• Take guitar out of the aux mix and you'll
    get mono band monitoring in both ears, with stereo guitar mixed in directly from the Kemper.
    Of course, this means you'd need your own dedicated aux from the desk.

Sorry but i haven't understood what you are saying

you are saying that i have to send from the PA an aux mix (where do i have to route it?) and then from headphone out of kemper the guitar signal, right?

• So.. you are using this now ? Based on the response from support I was thinking this is not currently possible because they stated whatever is mixed into return input is mixed back into main outputs... thus the mix back to for with guitar.. read the response.

• Let me clarify.
    All instruments in your band plug into the mixing desk, including guitar. They are then mixed for FOH.
    To give you a separate monitor mix of the whole band, you may use an Aux (monitor) mix on the desk. There may be a number of these on your desk from 2-10 on some digital desks.
    You would need to remove the guitar from this mix before sending it to your Kemper (return and alternative inputs).
    These then become mixed with your guitar signal in the Kemper and are output through the headphone out. Direct to IEMs if you like.
    This will give you Mono band mix (less
    guitar) with stereo guitar from the Kemper in your IEM mix from the headphone output on the Kemper.
    You could use a split TRS to two mono plugs to feed the mono Aux mix from the desk to the Kemper inputs mentioned above.
    I hope that makes more sense to you.
    Kind regards
    Pre-Amp
    :)

• Has something changed recently?
    I thought it was possible to unlink output to isolate the return and alternative inputs through to the headphone output only.
    Maybe I am wrong?
    Pre-Amp
    :S

• Just tested this and there is indeed a separate aux to main and aux to headphone level in output section. So even though support stated aux in gets forwarded straight to main outs where it is mixed with guitar signal it obviously does not if the mentioned level is all the way down. Likewise guitar level from FOH aux mix needs to be at zero or you will get double guitar out of phase as mentioned.

• Maybe I haven´t understand it but what is the advantage if I put my monitor signal trough the Kemper?
    I´m using an X32 and got my stereo mix directly to my IEM. I can do the mix by myself with a smartphone (a phone clamp at the mic-stative)

• Maybe I haven´t understand it but what is the advantage if I put my monitor signal trough the Kemper?
    I´m using an X32 and got my stereo mix directly to my IEM. I can do the mix by myself with a smartphone (a phone clamp at the mic-stative)

If you use an X32 (I use one myself) there is no advantage.
    The Aux In solution comes in handy though if all you can get is a monitor feed from some other mixer (not your own).