New SSD4 user

• I am going to get around to installing the SSD4 with Chris Lord Alge, Terry Date and David Bendeth expansions tonight that I bought a few days ago.
    Any suggestions where to start? Any cool settings or kits to check out first for rock?

• Those similarities we touched on off the board continue to accumulate, Anthony.

SSD4 is the only drum VI I've bought, and I grabbed it on Black Friday last year, when it appeared (the last time it did so) for exactly the same price as it is now, its lowest-ever.

Don't know about the license-key thing 'cause I haven't looked at it since then, but I did spend a month trying to sort mine out 'cause my cousin's name appeared in the GUI of the plug instead of mine 'cause he bought it for me due to the fact that I couldn't buy online at that stage. Support sorted it out for me, so if you have any issues, they'll be able to mail it to you or create a new one and send it, as they did for me.

I too am keen to hear any tips folks have to offer, so please feel free to expand, Raoul!

Two things I'd love to know:
    If I configure a kit for multi-out use, how do I set things up so all kits work this way? Obviously it's counter-productive to have to set things up every time I audition a new kit; the overall sound changes too much if things suddenly revert to plain ol' summed stereo.

All my tracks will be mapped as per my TD-30 brain, which I play from a keyboard whilst using an FD7 (just like a wah pedal) for HH open / close control. All my kits on the TD use 4 toms, which I've programmed all my songs since the late '80s to use. Any thoughts on how to set the VI up to most-easily work with my M.O.?

This stuff's all academic for me at this point as I'm nowhere near being able to record yet, but as I slowly add critical parts to my setup, I try to set them up so when the starting gun fires, I can get to tracking and mixing straight away with hopefully minimal fuss...

• I spent hours last night trying to get this installed. I followed the directions and extracted the rar just as they explained (right click on 1 and extract here) I watched the extraction and it went through all the Rar files as expected. Moved the folder into my documents, Installed SSD4, which appears to just install the .dll files into the vst folders. Opened up my daw (reaper), opened the ssdsampler, entered the path of the folder and did the same for the license.

The names of the kits are there but I do not hear any sound and it does not appear the samples are loading. Any ideas? I even downloaded the rar files again this morning and did it over. Still not loading but the kit names are there.

• @Monkey_Man See the picture, all the way down on the left side - just click on it and outputs will stay the same.
    [Blocked Image: https://dawfreak.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/mixer.jpg]

"Oh my God" I said slowly to myself. How could I have missed that?

Awesome! Thank you KoMa! :thumbup:

-------------------------------------------

Anthony, let's check what's in your SSD4Library folder. I have all the expansions, so whatever you've got, this should be applicable:

Root level:
    The license file for each expansion as well as for SSD4

... and the following folders:

DrumKitPresets
    01 SSD 4 Presets.lib
    Bendeth Presets.lib
    Blackbird Presets.lib
    CLA Presets.lib
    Terry Presets.lib
    User.lib

DrumLibraryData
    Blackbird.lib
    Chris Lord-Alge.lib
    David Bendeth.lib
    SSD 4 Classic Signature.lib
    SSD 4 Classic Vol.1.lib
    SSD 4 Classic Vol.2.lib
    SSD 4 Deluxe.lib
    SSD 4 Electronic.lib
    Terry Date.lib

Grooves
    SSD Classic Grooves.lib
    SSD Deluxe Grooves.lib
    Stuart Hudson.lib

IOMaps
    Bendeth_Standard.iom
    default_map.iom
    SSD4_to_Abbey_Road.iom
    SSD4_to_Addictive.iom
    SSD4_to_Alesis_DM10.iom
    SSD4_to_BFD.iom
    SSD4_to_Jamstix.iom
    SSD4_to_Roland_TD20.iom
    SSD4_to_SSD4_Standard.iom
    SSD4_to_Superior.iom
    SSD4_to_Yamaha_DTX500.iom
    SSD4_to_Yamaha_DTX900.iom
    SSD4_to_Yamaha_DTXplorer.iom
    Terry_Standard.iom

OneShotSamplesData
    Empty in my case

• How much 'better' do people find ssd4 over pro logic drummer? I'm tempted to buy it at the moment but it's not exactly a priority so any comparisons could help me decide if I should. Thx all;)

• How much 'better' do people find ssd4 over pro logic drummer? I'm tempted to buy it at the moment but it's not exactly a priority so any comparisons could help me decide if I should. Thx all;)

Logic Pro's drummer sounds just great, but contrary to SSD 4 the samples are quite untreated and Need to be EQed and compressed, whereas SSD4 Sounds more mix-ready (equally to EZ Drummer 2).

• @Monkey_Man Thanks for the list Nicky, I did not load all the expansions yet but everything is in place. First thing I checked was the sound library folder and the contents, I have all the samples. They are just not loading. Contacted support early on friday, they replied, I replied early, never heard back. All he asked for was a screen shot of the 2 paths, I was a little annoyed by such a basic question when I already provided everything in detail to them in the first place. Guess I have to wait until monday, pretty pissed off that you have to schedule a call back for support.

• So... you've definitely got the DrumKitPresets folder's contents in there too, and the licenses at the root level?

Hey, if it's any consolation it was 3 months before I heard a single hit after buying the VI, so hopefully you'll do a whole lot better than I.

It'll be something simple; the feedback I've heard around the forums hasn't focussed on issues running the plugin or glitches, so I assume it's pretty solid, man. This is why I think it's reasonable to expect basic questions from support. When you provided the file paths, were they complete / detailed? Could it be that support saw that aspect of your submission but needed more info? The fact that you were asked in the first place makes me wonder if it could well be something very basic related to that.

Just for beer and skittles you could try copying the whole SSD4 folder to another drive, or even your desktop if you've the room, re-specifying the path and seeing if they'll then load... if you'd like to try something while you wait for Monday.

• I've done it all man, former IT person of 7 years. Hopefully it is something stupid and not my windows 10