Favourite profiles

• I thought It was just me...... now i have to check the other profiles you mentioned. Any idea where the Steve Stevens come from, need to try that

I'll try to check it out tonight and see where it came from because multiple people have asked me about it. I should also clarify that I DO use some of MBritt's profiles for moderate gain. I just needed to add some high end and presence back into them to make them sound right for me.

• the awful ones must be related to set up because I can't see how anyone would like some of the sounds I'm getting....

Which is weird because I'm using a PA speaker that is similar in sound to a Yamaha DXR10, which we all know is pretty good. The other link here is the guitar but I'm using a fairly "normal" guitar ( Les Paul with Seymour's), so you'd think that part was OK too..

...Well, apart from people having different tastes (and I'm not talking about "I like this profile better because it's 5% different" here - taste can account for MUCH MUCH more difference in perception), there's also the kind of guitar, as you allude to (keep in mind that both Andy and mbritt probably lean mostly toward single coils; that's probably their most "natural" frame of reference, among many of the people who like their profiles).

Furthermore, there's also the band setup. Maybe the bass player is real heavy on the low mids in one person's band, but in your band he/she is really light on the low mids or vice versa (just one example). How about the other guitarist? The vocalist? Do you even play in a band? What about the guys who chip in here, are they in a band? How many guitar players in the band? Do they play identical riffs, or layer different riffs, that are played in different spots on the neck? Is the other guitar player a strat, tele or les paul guy?

+ What is your definition of rock / modern rock? Is it Rage against the machine or nickelback? AC/DC? etc etc etc. Does your idea of modern rock match the definition that all of us ("secretly") have in our heads? (we all know EXACTLY what modern rock means - but I bet you that many of us don't agree on the definition if we were to be specific).

And furthermore, people listen differently. Sometimes people say "I've nailed the AC/DC tone" and post a sound clip and I think "man, that's pretty far off". Because we listen to different components of the tone.

Not to mention the fact that if I'd answered just your original question 2 months ago, I would have given you a completely different answer than I would give you today. That may just be me, but it's still another variable.

This whole tirade just to illustrate the point that there are basically infinite variables to all this :)

Perhaps you would be able to supply a song example to go by? I think that might help matters a lot.

• That's a good point, there are more variables but still surprised that the variation seems to be so wide.

For example I'd expect the difference to be more like the difference between a Dimarzio and Seymour.... Some of the profiles I have tried sound really bad BUT I hadn't thought about the single coil vs Humbucker so that I suspect is quite a big factor. Having said that, I have played through the same valve amp with single coils and Humbuckers and you can tell whether the base sound is any good. I also see massive variation in profile volumes as well, sometimes clipping the input which I suspect is another major factor so the profile differences seem so wide.

I guess this is the problem of the KPA for me...I'm left to find a great sound - given I'm a bit useless at that, it is why a conventional amp will always be a draw. I think I need a guitar tech to sort it :)

I'm also at the moment talking about sounds at home as my starting point rather than with the band. My definition of Rock is something like Black Stone Cherry (ish).

I play in a number of bands, notably a Cult tribute band. As a reference, any of the non Gretsch/JC120 stuff, so something off Electric ( lil devil or King contrary Man). Bit heavier sound than ACDC ( which is much lower gain than most people realise) verging on metal, for me that's a good base, rhythm starting point...

• I thought It was just me...... now i have to check the other profiles you mentioned. Any idea where the Steve Stevens come from, need to try that

Sorry this took so long, but I finally got around to checking on the Steve Stevens profile. It came from The Amp Factory. And the profile is called AF9-BE SS Cranked2+. There are a few variations of it "Cranked3+, Cranked4+, Full+, Full2+ etc".

• Remember that Michael primarily plays with single coils which are brighter. If you're using humbuckers, you'll have to change the EQ a little.
    I've been able to use all his profiles for single coils and humbuckers with a little adjustment. Some profiles from other people I have to tweak a lot.

definition is where one should start. it's more than enough to make his 69 plexi sounding awesome with my LP

• I haven't found a single distortion profile of his that doesn't sound way too muddy or dark for me

I cannot comprehend this. Almost every mbritt distortion profile I have tried (every profile in both packs 1 and 2 and a couple smaller packs) is absolutely ear splittingly bright, even with HBs. They sound like the treble and presence on the amp are cranked way up and the speaker is mic'd right in the center. The AC30 B2 profile is very clean and sounds good with pedals and such, but anything with breakup is way too bright.

• I cannot comprehend this. Almost every mbritt distortion profile I have tried (every profile in both packs 1 and 2 and a couple smaller packs) is absolutely ear splittingly bright, even with HBs. They sound like the treble and presence on the amp are cranked way up and the speaker is mic'd right in the center. The AC30 B2 profile is very clean and sounds good with pedals and such, but anything with breakup is way too bright.

I'm more with OhG on this, definitely! I have found some of them that are usable for my tastes, but they are SQUARELY in the "dark" area of the pool Don't think I'd call them muddy, necessarily. But they do have their share of low mids. There is NO kind of ear-splitting treble or presence to my ear - I find most of them quite lacking in this regard, actually (again, for my tastes and music).

This is Pack 2, I believe. This is mostly talking about profiles with gain at around 4 and upwards.

• I'm more with OhG on this, definitely! I have found some of them that are usable for my tastes, but they are SQUARELY in the "dark" area of the pool Don't think I'd call them muddy, necessarily. But they do have their share of low mids. There is NO kind of ear-splitting treble or presence to my ear - I find most of them quite lacking in this regard, actually (again, for my tastes and music).

This is Pack 2, I believe. This is mostly talking about profiles with gain at around 4 and upwards.

That is so strange to me. There must be some setting buried somewhere that I am missing. I'm monitoring with IEMs if that makes a difference.

• definition is where one should start. it's more than enough to make his 69 plexi sounding awesome with my LP[/quote]

Definition? is that a setting? Where is that?[/quote]

That helped me a lot:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Yeah I find MBritts profiles to be a little dark with my EVH Wolfgang and Musicman Axis but fine with single coils at gig volume. A little bit adjustment of the definition sorts that for me.

I have his Colonial and Marshall '69 pack and used to use one of those Marshall '69 profiles that was all dimed with a variac as my main profile around a year ago for a few a good few months.

Was fine through my active monitor and the P.A. pretty much flat every night, but I can definitely see how people could think they were muffled and dark especially if they aren't listening/auditioning through a PA at high volume and Fletcher Munson hasn't yet taken its toll.

• The rigs that sound muffled and dark to some people using humbuckers are the same rigs that sound ice pick bright to others using humbuckers.

This thread is a perfect example of how much of a difference in tone comes from the choice of cabinet/monitor, and its placement.

This is what I would think, normally - but it sounds like the perception is extremely different in the different "camps" (not trying to start a civil war on the forums, hehe) :-). I can't help but wonder if there's something else going on.

We need a reference profile group :)

• as already on this forum, sounds are to be tweaked at gig volume. one could easily find muddy/ice peaky sounds when sitting alone in front of the amp in a house room.
    @OhG, you are making me willing to get the Steve Stevens, how are they mixed? I have often found that TAF profiles have way too much reverb & space for me, making them sounding like a post-treated studio recording