Favourite profiles

• Weird that because I think I've found a great profile, try another, think that's ok but not as good as the first, go back to the first and it doesn't sound as good as I thought! I'm definitely changing things around..

Too much choice!

Agree. That depends on our ears. When i create a performance with a JTM Marshall and i create another one with a boogie mark v afterwards its a big difference when i compare it after creating because the amps are so different.

• I really believe most of us just have this urge to change it up every so often... It's a lot cheaper in the long run to do it with profiles... LoL!

I am a Profile Whore... Sometimes a Recovering Profile Whore...
    but mostly a Complete and Utter Profile Whore... I want them all... aCk!!! 8|:love:

• From a new user and someone who's pretty much just using MBritt profiles, my favs so far are the 70 SL 3 and the Boggy Helios 2 4. The Dirty Shirley profiles are good too for single coils when you need a bit more bass muscle.

• I only got this last night but my new favourite is Top Jimi's profile(s) of a '78 Marshall Superlead modified by Tim Casswell. I'm really more focussed on clean / breakup playing these days but for some good old classic "80's rock monkey hour" fun these profiles are just outstanding - I only picked up the Les Paul to try them for 5 minutes but ended up jamming on them for hours :) They sound really nice with the amp gain backed off and I bet they would be amazing double tracked with some serious rock riffage.

There's an interesting history to this amp (the original version, that is, though this is apparently an identical circuit) - I believe it belonged to an LA amp rental company and was used on Appetite for Destruction and by George Lynch no tour. In fact I read a funny interview with Lynch where he said he liked that particular amp so much that he kept trying to buy it off the rental company but they wouldn't sell it. He said he even tried to return an identical looking Marshall head in an effort to poach the "Casswell" but the rental company noticed and demanded the original back :D

• There's an interesting history to this amp (the original version, that is, though this is apparently an identical circuit) - I believe it belonged to an LA amp rental company and was used on Appetite for Destruction and by George Lynch no tour. In fact I read a funny interview with Lynch where he said he liked that particular amp so much that he kept trying to buy it off the rental company but they wouldn't sell it. He said he even tried to return an identical looking Marshall head in an effort to poach the "Casswell" but the rental company noticed and demanded the original back :D

I've got this profile as well and love it. The story you mention above is similar to Slash's experience with the amp. The amp was stored at SIR studios and was used by both Lynch and Slash. Slash tried to buy it several times and the studio wouldn't sell it. So he finally stole it. Years later when GnR went back to the studios, Slash told his guitar tech specifically NOT to bring that amp back into the studio. Needless to say, the tech messed up and brought it back in. SIR reclaimed the amp, and it hasn't been used since. They haven't even allowed people to use it in the studio again due to the fact that they didn't want to lose it.

• I tried the free Kemper profiles first, of course. Most of them didnt work neither for my Gretsch hollow nor my Fernandes solid. But some were great right from the start, The AC30 from Nashville, for example, some Marshall, a VHT Pitbull, a Mesa Dual. I fine-tuned them to death with a permanent smile in my face.

Lately I started to check the YT samples of the paid profiles. None of them topped my free ones - so far. Am I sick? Or do I have rusty ears instead of the golden ones? :D

Ne travaillez jamais.

• I can't believe the massive difference in opinions. How is it possible that one person can hear the same profile as too bright and another hear it as too dark? It's pretty crazy how differently we all hear things :) Maybe other gear comes into play such as speakers, mixers, guitars etc. Still I always find what works for me also works no matter what speakers I'm using. If anyone would like to try my profiles I'm giving away a free 80's Marshall JCM800 with Keeley SD1 profile on my website http://www.bigsunstudios.co.uk :)

• I can't believe the massive difference in opinions. How is it possible that one person can hear the same profile as too bright and another hear it as too dark? It's pretty crazy how differently we all hear things :) Maybe other gear comes into play such as speakers, mixers, guitars etc. Still I always find what works for me also works no matter what speakers I'm using. If anyone would like to try my profiles I'm giving away a free 80's Marshall JCM800 with Keeley SD1 profile on my website http://www.bigsunstudios.co.uk :)

Thanx, I'll give it a try...

My number one source for confusion is speakers (plus room). The next thing: degraded ears over time. Its affecting treble mostly. On the other hand: distorted guitars roll off at 7 or 8 kHz. Even my grandpa would still hear that :D

Long time ago I got myself a fairly expensive set of active studio monitors. Frequencywise they are virtually flat. I was prepared to treat my room as well - knowing that this is the next big source of wrong freq response. So I got myself a precision measurement microphone. Put it at my sweet spot for listening and was shocked. Not only the bass was about 12 (!) dB off - right at the rooms main resonance frequency. No, the mids and treble were way off as well. Took me many, many nights and trial and error to correct for the mids and treble. When it comes to frequencies around 40 Hz (my room node) you can virtually do nothing. Next octave (80Hz) was tamed quite well.

At that time I still had my line 6 POD HD 500. And I blamed it for "odd feedback on guitars". After the treatment of the room it reacted just like a real guitar amp! And guess what: my excessive vocal mic feedback was gone as well.

Now take a fairly cheapo PA cabinet what they call FRFR. Chances are there are peaks of 5dB or more. That changes everything. For me that is the main source why so many are still not liking FRFR for guitars.

Ne travaillez jamais.

• If anyone would like to try my profiles I'm giving away a free 80's Marshall JCM800 with Keeley SD1 profile on my website http://www.bigsunstudios.co.uk :)

I checked your demo sounds for the profiles. They all sound very realistic to me. The TSL is especially great. To me, they are all on the dull side, though. Like rolled off slightly to middish. That makes them vintage sounding. Very round and warm. Maybe just a bit too warm. But really great tones there!

Ne travaillez jamais.

• Now take a fairly cheapo PA cabinet what they call FRFR. Chances are there are peaks of 5dB or more. That changes everything. For me that is the main source why so many are still not liking FRFR for guitars.

I think pa speaker quality is always going to make a difference but I think if you can get your sounds just right at the source then they should translate well no matter how good or awful the pa is. Thing is, you never know what sort of sound you're going to get from venue to venue.

Funny you should say that about FRFR speakers. I find that modern powered speakers are usually so efficient now that they can do with a little high end taming. It's like the opposite of the old days were you would try to boost the highs with a graphic eq to get more clarity. I actually preferred the way guitar sounded through my old ridiculously heavy peavey power amp and wedges because the sound was more lo fi which sounded nice on guitar. I suppose the cheap wedges are probably more like an old guitar amp speaker so that would make sense in a way.

miraclesleeper wrote:
    If anyone would like to try my profiles I'm giving away a free 80's Marshall JCM800 with Keeley SD1 profile on my website bigsunstudios.co.uk

I checked your demo sounds for the profiles. They all sound very realistic to me. The TSL is especially great. To me, they are all on the dull side, though. Like rolled off slightly to middish. That makes them vintage sounding. Very round and warm. Maybe just a bit too warm. But really great tones there!

Thanks mate, yes I would say my profiles are definitely on the warm vintage side. I spent ages trying to get that balance right. The first ones I made I took to my gig and thought they were a little too dark so I messed around for weeks with mics and mic positioning and setting my 1073 preamps until I got what I think is the perfect balance between warm and thick but with a nice bite and what I consider the perfect amount of high end :)

@miraclesleeper some very tasty legato lead work there mate.

Thanks mate :)

• New fav here. There are profiles of a diezel herbert on rm. Search for user Juanma Blanco.
    I combined this amp with the sinmix mesa boogie 2x12 cab. Cant believe whats comming out of my kpa.
    Added a grafic eq in slot x and reduced the presence in main eq a little. Punchy and clear!