Morphing trouble

• I've got a very basic morph set up on my solo tone. The original tone had the gain set to around 7. I want to be able to move my Mission EP1 pedal from the toe position (gain of 7) to heel and have it reduce the gain to about a 3. I've got the morph set up and that part works fine. The issue I'm having is that when I now step on the remote switch to activate this rig, instead of it defaulting to the higher gain setting (which was the original setting prior to setting up the morph) it now starts out at the lower gain level, which is the opposite of what I want. I want it to always start at the original gain level of 7 (or the toe down setting) and then give me the OPTION to decrease the gain with the pedal if I want to, because 95% of the solos I play start in the higher gain setting. So I don't want to have to hit my solo button, and then have to jump over to my morphing pedal and step on that to get it up to the original value. How do I set that up?

• The obvious question is the pedal in the toe position when you switch rigs? If it is not all the way down you will be starting in wrong position. When you created the morph was the pedal in the position you wanted when you pushed the button and saved, as that can give you wrong results too when you then choose that rig.

Also check to see if "keep morph state" is selected. That would keep the morph state when you change rigs.

Edited once, last by drog ().

• The obvious question is the pedal in the toe position when you switch rigs? If it is not all the way down you will be starting in wrong position. When you created the morph was the pedal in the position you wanted when you pushed the button and saved, as that can give you wrong results too when you then choose that rig.

Also check to see if "keep morph state" is selected. That would keep the morph state when you change rigs.

So what am I doing wrong here? I started over. I put the pedal in the toe down position and have the gain set where I want it to be. I then backed the pedal down to the heel down position and turned the gain to where I want it to be when the gain is in the heel down position. I then saved the performance. I tested the pedal and if I move it to toe down, it increases the gain, and heel down decreases it, just as desired. However, if I switch to a new rig, and then back to this rig, it always starts me in the heel down gain setting (regardless of what position the pedal is actually in). So in order to get my full gain back, I then have to put my foot on the pedal, put it in heel down, and then back up to toe down. Isn't there any way to just have it default to the toe down setting (or the original rig setting) and NOT change my sounds unless I go to the pedal? It's doing the reverse of what I want it to do. And I don't know where the "keep morph state" option is. I can't find it in the system or rig settings anywhere.

• As a test, I just tried morphing another rig. This time, using the opposite settings. It's a clean tone where I want my original rig (a clean tone) to ADD gain (again by pressing the toe down on the pedal). I dialed up the original rig, put the pedal in the heel down position with no gain, moved the pedal to the toe down, turned up the gain and then stored the rig. When I leave this rig and then switch back to it, this one works as desired. So in BOTH cases, it seems like it's defaulting to the setting with the lower gain. I don't understand this at all.

• Third test. And this one is disturbing.

So apparently, unless I'm doing something wrong (which is a high probability), the only way to morph a rig's original sound is by pressing the pedal FORWARD or into the toe down position. I've tried everything I can think of to take my original high gain solo rig and set it up so that when I'm in the toe down position, it plays the original settings, and when I move the pedal into the heel down position, it reduces the gain. Apparently, that's not possible unless I'm willing to deal with the fact that every time I switch TO this rig, it will default to the low gain setting (the opposite of what I want).

I now tried setting it up so that when the pedal is in the heel down position, the gain is on full, and when I put it into the toe down position, it reduces the gain. THIS worked, but is so counter-intuitive that it's not even worth using. For me, it's just natural to expect that the gain will INCREASE as I'm pushing the pedal forward. I'm able to get the rig to default to the high gain setting when set up like this, but it's just not even worth it.

Please tell me there is a way to set this up so that toe down will be gain on full, heel down will be gain reduced, and when I switch to the rig, it will default to what is the original settings of gain on full (which would be toe down).

• I believe the heel position is base sound and the sound that will load as default, and if no expression pedal is connected. Can the pedals be reversed on a per program basis on the remote? If so you could do that. Or can it be set so send its current state at program change?

• As Trazan says, the heel down setting is the default setting. Therefore if you want a clean - driven morphed patch with the pedal moving that way, you'll need to start off in clean. You could always modify the morphing pedal with a reverse potentiometer.

• OhG,
    I too went and tried to set it up this way (been awhile since I have used morph), it only seems to function from heel down and it does not start where you would expect. Not only that but if you move the pedal slowly it does not even follow the pedal correctly and the lights get messed up.

I dont recall call it being like this when it first came out. It really is not functional using an expression pedal at the moment. I will try it with a switch and see what happens there.

This is morph thing needs some work.

Sorry for for my original answers as I was just taking stuff from the manual and should have tried it first.

• @OhG said "Please tell me there is a way to set this up so that toe down will be gain on full, heel down will be gain reduced, and when I switch to the rig, it will default to what is the original settings of gain on full (which would be toe down)."

Here is a way: When you select the Rig/Slot with the Remote, "double click" the switch. The Rig/Slot will immediately move to the Morphed (with gain) setting.

• @OhG said "Please tell me there is a way to set this up so that toe down will be gain on full, heel down will be gain reduced, and when I switch to the rig, it will default to what is the original settings of gain on full (which would be toe down)."

Here is a way: When you select the Rig/Slot with the Remote, "double click" the switch. The Rig/Slot will immediately move to the Morphed (with gain) setting.

Thanks paults. But if I'm going to have to remember to double click certain rigs as opposed to others just to get the result I wanted, it's going to just get cumbersome. Morphing was the only reason (for me) to upgrade to 4.0.6. But if it can't even perform a simple function like this, then it's no longer worth it and I'll go back to the 3.3. Maybe Kemper will address this in the future. But this seems like a VERY counterintuitive process that, quite frankly, IMO, should never have been missed by Kemper while testing the morphing feature to begin with.

• Or just get used to pressing heel to toe...

Make it so that the default setting is with higher gain and the morphed setting is with the reduced gain. I understand that you're probably thinking of the morph pedal like a volume pedal (ie toe down, more gain. Heel down, less gain), but if you can snap out of that, it'll work as you want it to right now.

EDIT: I see that you already tried this but can't get your head around it, so ignore my post.

• I thought of that as an option sambrox. But the problem would come at live gigs when I'm swapping between so many different rigs (some are very similar) and I'm sure there would be times when I forget which rig does what. So I don't want to risk going into a part where it's supposed to be full bore and have it quiet on accident.

• One thing I miss that morphing changed was when Im on bank one and click effect button II to switch a phaser on I could click button 1 again and the phaser would go back off again. Now I guess I need to make it so it morphs to the phaser being off when I hit 1 again?

• I wonder if the Kemper cannot read which position the pedal is in, and so always assumes it is heel down as a starting point? Maybe a future feature would be to add an option to check "Toe down" or "Heel down" to let the Kemper know...?

• One thing I miss that morphing changed was when Im on bank one and click effect button II to switch a phaser on I could click button 1 again and the phaser would go back off again. Now I guess I need to make it so it morphs to the phaser being off when I hit 1 again?

No, you can specify now if you want the rig to morph or be reset after hitting the switch for a second time.

• Ingolf How do you set it up to reset?

From the Release Noten of FW 4.0.2 (I think): added: new option “Rig Button Morph” in System Menu. If this isn’t ticked, subsequent hits of Rig Buttons and MIDI CC#50-54 will reload current Rig/Slot instead of trigger Morphing.