Is it possible to obtain an excellent profile of your own amps and cabs using an FRFR system?

• Hi everyone - I have the non-powered kemper with an active Atomic CLR (which I love). I have a classic Marshall JTM45 and Mesa Mark V that I want to profile my own amps/settings - however in the manual it suggests we do this with a powered head for faithful reproduction of the head through the cab. Well I don't want to sell my non-powered Kemper and buy a powered version, however I'd love to capture the amp and reproduce the profile accurately through my CLR FRFR monitor. Before I waste my time and cash on buying the Kemper Profiler DI BOX, I am wondering what your experience has been profiling your own amps with playback through an active FRFR system. Thank you!!! Chris

• How would one monitor the profile through an FRFR monitor? When I make a DI profile, I still have the amp connected to a cab as well as the DI box. When I do the A/B (Real amp to profile) comparison, both sounds are coming through the cab and not the FRFR.

• That's what I'm wondering, couldn't you just profile it directly and then when you plug it into your CLR afterward it would sound like the real deal?

If not, do you think I could get a reliable studio profile using just a shure beta 87A in front of the cab?

• I (still) have my JTM30 and I can say I got some tremendous results profiling it , better than the original and my go to cab from a very long time (I use this specific cab on my commercial profiles with lots of my preamps) , I only used my SM57 and yamaha monitoring system.

• If you are using FRFR only there is absolutely no need for making DI profiles. Thus you do not need a DI box for capturing profiles. It is far more important to have a decent monitoring situation when creating profiles. Try placing the cab and mic in a different room. Always compare to profiles that you like when setting up the mic potition and the amp settings. Also make use of the post EQ that you can apply during profiling.

• Thanks for the info. I understand this and I make both types because live I play through a 4x12 but at home I prefer the FRFR in my office. What I do not understand is why when we A/B the real amp vs. profile (when profiling) the Kemper does not switch to sending the signal from the cab to the FRFR. Why not have it so the real amp goes through the cab and then when you push "profile" the signal goes through the FRFR or headphones only?

• Why not have it so the real amp goes through the cab and then when you push "profile" the signal goes through the FRFR or headphones only?

because then you would be comparing "amp in the room" (amp and cab) with a close miced signal over a studio monitor or FRFR.
    Studio Profiles should be made with the amp/cab/mic set up in one room and the monitoring setup (reproducing the mic'ed sound from the cab) in another.
    Just like you would when tracking in a studio.

Please re-read the relevant parts of the manual(s) it's all mentioned there ;)

hth