What kind of music are you listening to right now?

• @nightlight

I don't think there's any pitch correction or trickery on the vocals. Just a buttload of takes layered and compressed together.

That's not how Chuck's normal pitch or voice at all. They would have done it on a lots more Death songs. That's one of the reason he started Control Denied, Chuck couldn't sing like that. He has a great voice, but not for trills like that.

• When I watched this I realized not one of them as long as they live will ever forget doing this. This has Soul. :thumbup:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Can all the gypsies and Hillbillies now listen to metal with out their parents knowing? LOL ....gypsy banjo rock? Its too well done not to be taken seriously....if only a metal head had of walked past and picked up on the tune he would of freaked the F out :thumbup:

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• RIP, Aretha Franklin. Such sad news.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• External Content www.youtube.com

• I've always really liked Joss. She's got a great voice and aura. Reminds me a bit of Janis. :thumbup:

• Bass player is a beast...

Yeah John Patitucci rocks. Scott Henderson is one of my all-time-fave guitarists too, especially his work with Gary Willis, and Dave Weckl's no slouch either. Definitely one of my fave Corea lineups, along with anything with Frank Gambale in it (he totally rocks!).

Funny, back in the late '80s a temporary bass player for Loose Change (Virgil Donati's band that I saw every week live), called Kim, played Chick's main melody during their performance of this song, and that's stuck in my memory as the only snippet of his playing that I can remember. I didn't even know what the song was until now, when, as soon as Chick started playing it, I was like, whoa... that's Kim's line!

I never did learn his surname, but Kim lived just around the corner from me, and impressively, at a very-young age learned Loose Change's full repertoire and "surprised" them with being able to nail it in its entirety at his first and last audition. He only played half a dozen or so gigs with them IIRC, but I thought he was great.

• OK, here's a version of Got a Match? I really like.

Frank Gambale's in it, which, as I suggested earlier, tickles my fancy somewhat. He has a connection to my favourite retailer who owns the store Frank's family started and ran for decades. Plus... he's an Aussie, and looks like a mobster. :D

Mike Pope's obviously no John Patitucci, but he's no slouch.

Eric Marienthal's alto work is brilliant.

I also prefer Chick's playing in this one - reminds me more of early-'70s George Duke, who happens to be my all-time-fave fusion keyboardist.

Hope you guys like it:

External Content youtu.be

• Funny, back in the late '80s a temporary bass player for Loose Change (Virgil Donati's band that I saw every week live), called Kim, played Chick's main melody during their performance of this song, and that's stuck in my memory as the only snippet of his playing that I can remember. I didn't even know what the song was until now, when, as soon as Chick started playing it, I was like, whoa... that's Kim's line!

That's awesome, Nicky! Frank Gambale is so under-rated IMO... he's great!

• Whew, I was just about to post that clip LMAO! Great line-up! :thumbup:

• Glad you like it Shawn.

Obviously it's not just the lineup; Chick's bands are always-stellar in this regard.

IMHO this particular performance stands out for the reasons I stated. There's even a little shredding for those that-way inclined, which here in Kemper Land™ is possibly a disturbing majority. :D

EDIT:
    Listened to it 4 times now and I reckon it's a bit of a classic.