Kemper power rack and profiling

• Hi,

My name is Robert and I am considering the Kemper power rack. Currently, I play through a Marshall JVM 410HJS and 1960B cabinet loaded with 2 G12H75 and 2 G12M Heritage speakers.

Here's a question I have:
    I read that the power rack is voiced to play through a guitar cab rather than a full-range cab. That confuses me: if I create a profile of a guitar amp with a guitar cabinet and then use the profile with the power rack playing through the same cab, don't I have the cab twice in the signal chain then? One in the captured profile and one being the power rack with the same cab? That would mean that the Kemper power rack can never sound similar to the original amp + cab setup. To make the power rack with the cab sound like the original amp with the same cab, you should somehow profile the amp without the cab...

Does this make any sense? ;)

• Welcome to the Forum !

It does make sense .... you can simply turn off the 'Cabinet' on the Kemper ( and save the profile that way ) or

you can make a D.I. Profile of the Head without the cabinet in the signal chain then run it into your normal guitar cab

• Welcome to the Forum !

It does make sense .... you can simply turn off the 'Cabinet' on the Kemper ( and save the profile that way ) or

you can make a D.I. Profile of the Head without the cabinet in the signal chain then run it into your normal guitar cab

Thanks Robman!

Let me get this straight:

• If you plan on using the power rack with a guitar cab (live setup), you should create or use cab-less profiles (D.I.) to get a better match with the original amp. Correct?
    • Can you deactivate the cab if it is part of a profile? I suppose most of the available profiles were captured with a guitar cab and mic. Or is the 'Cabinet' you refer to an additional emulation on top of the profile? I am trying to understand how the cab is identified in the profiling process.

Edited once, last by erpece ().

• Thanks Robman!
    Let me get this straight:

• If you plan on using the power rack with a guitar cab (live setup), you should create or use cab-less profiles (D.I.) to get a better match with the original amp. Correct?
    • Can you deactivate the cab if it is part of a profile? I suppose most of the available profiles were captured with a guitar cab and mic. Or is the 'Cabinet' you refer to an additional emulation on top of the profile? I am trying to understand how the cab is identified in the profiling process.

1. Yes that's correct.
    2. Yes you can deactivate the cab in any profile and the Kemper is going to calculate it away somehow, even that does sound quite good I think.

• The more accurate way to do things is make a merged profile for me. That is the combination of a studio profile including cab and a DI profile. When you turn off the cab on the monitor output you will hear the original sound of the DI and not an approximated version. However, you can still send the full profile with cab to front of house.

Search merged profiles to get a better idea of the process.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7