Not convinced with kempers pedal calibration: FIX NEEDED?

• Im not convinced nor satisfied with kempers expression pedal calibration procedure.
    the calibration screen shows what is expected but it appears that the KPA is constantly in calibration mode regardless of if the user selects it or not. (connected direct or to the remote unit)
    The full-range (its working range values) is always based on the min and max value received at any time. This is fine for many situations but the following scenario will apply to many and they should be aware of it:

Here is a typical expression pedal:
    [Blocked Image: http://thelookmusic.co.uk/kemper/expressionpedal.jpg]
    So you've just calibrated your pedal to work between the regular range (red to blue) all is fine. Then you step on the pedal a bit harder (green position shown) to engage the switch but the Kemper now "thinks" this is your full-range, therefore you will mostly using 90% of the full range. This can be acceptable but effects that engage at 100% range wont be achieved. As a result, you can now not achieve 100% range unless you are standing on the button. At rest (blue position) it will lift a little to around 95% of it full movement. You will see clearly on the calibration screen.
    I use the LPF effect and set it to OFF at toe position. In the above scenario the actual toe-position is when the pedal is pushed all the way engaging the button, not just between the red and blue lines the user thought they had calibrated to. Consequently this small deviation means the effect is always on as it is never in "toe-position" unless i hold my weight on it, therefore engaging the button which may not be intended.

The same is true for pitch dive effects where perhaps a soft spongy stop is at the heel position. the "at rest" position will be on this stopper. a little extra force may compress the sponge material and consequently adjust the low-scale value to the min value received. Noe when the pedal is at rest on this "stopper" the value is above the min value.

My request is that the calibration screen does what it says and when you exit the calibration screen the settings are stored and locked at those values attained. Otherwise whats the point of this screen?
    I've had this discussion with the Kemper team and they tell me everything works as intended but im not convinced they have allowed for the situation described above
    Maybe i'm missing something here?
    I dont often have a whinge about the KPA as its otherwise awesome!

my video example shows an extreme case of what i'm trying to say (even though its an older OS its still relevant to v4)

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I will give this thread an airing for a few days and depending on the response put it forward to the KPA team again.

• Agree, I didn't see any comments about it in the release notes, but I guess only the minority were affected and it wasn't a major issue worth mentioning. There's a lot of stuff we don't need to know about 'under the hood' but I see no harm in listing a fix like this. We all know Kemper listen to their users and constantly strive for new and improved features. I wish more companies worked this way.

Anyhow, hope I haven't spoke too soon, i'll report back when i've checked out this upgrade....
    :/

• Agree, I didn't see any comments about it in the release notes, but I guess only the minority were affected and it wasn't a major issue worth mentioning. There's a lot of stuff we don't need to know about 'under the hood' but I see no harm in listing a fix like this. We all know Kemper listen to their users and constantly strive for new and improved features. I wish more companies worked this way.

Anyhow, hope I haven't spoke too soon, i'll report back when i've checked out this upgrade....
    :/

Do check out 5.0 instead! :thumbup:

• Just installed 4.22 and very disappointed to say i notice NO difference whatsoever regarding the calibration procedure.

Maybe the guys at Kemper can explain what the recent fix to this was? (probably explains why nothing was mentioned in the release notes)
    my biggest question is- why is the KPA always in calibration mode (it defeats the object of having a calibration adjustment) if it constantly works on the min and max values delivered by the expression pedal?

I'd like to able to set (calibrate?) the KPA to work between point A and point B on my expression device and it "remembers" those two points/values.
    If i temporarily move outside of those points i dont expect it to recalibrate and move my set-points.
    I'll message support on this.

• We did not change the calibration scheme since version 3.
    We tried three mission pedals with switch, they all work flawlessly with firmware 5.0.

What pedals do you use?

• thanks for taking time to read the post, CK.
    My pedal is a non-branded expression pedal, 10k linear pot, but as described the toe-switch springs back the full range max-value a slight bit, which takes it out of the maximum (toe position) Ideally to set the threshold of the "toe on" value and the "heel off" value would solve my problems, or as already mentioned, being able to calibrate and lock those values (as i orginally thought the calibrate function was intended to do) therefore if i move outiside of the calibrated min/max values it does not rescale accordingly.

another device i used was a foot-expression pedal that, through full-sweep of the pedal, only turned the pot one-quarter turn (about 80 degrees) of the full pot-turn. This worked ok when calibrated but upon unplugging or replugging the device a significantly larger max value (or sometimes lower min value) was present at the pedal connection terminal and this conseqeuntly rescaled the min/max values therfore requiring recalibration before it could be used again.

i have contacted support on a couple of occasions and have been told that everything works as intended.
    i understand the logic and benefits of constant recalibration and aware that there are many mission pedal users for which there is no problem at all.
    Other users, such as myself may wish to use a different kind of device and encounter the side-effects i have described.
    i do use the LPF filter effect which disengages at the toe-position but due to the nature of the issue described it often enagages as the pedal moves away from the toe-positoin due to the spring-return of the mechanical toe switch. For now i have had to assign a remote button to bypass the effect to avoid this problem.

i appreciate that one persons issues may not be enough for you to warrant to implement changes but i know you are a great team that listens to its users and understand the issues i have encountered and will bare this in mind, so thanks again for taking an interest.

• I am afraid there is no digital amp or other device out there, that could calibrate such a pedal.

What is the purpose for this no-name pedal then?
    There is solutions out there that work well.

• Perhaps i've been misunderstood, my idea of calibration was to scale the full range between two points of a potentiometers range. I already own another amp modeling unit that allows the user to do this.

If my 10k linear pot, due to physical limitation, has a minimum value of 500 ohms and a max of 9500 ohms the Kemper can already deal with this through its calibration and scale the min and max points referenced to these values. I just request to be able to "lock" these values after a manual calibration.

The other request/solution was to set the threshold at which the "heel position" and "toe position" switch on/off at. (For those effects that turn off at heel/toe position) I'm not sure if this is currently 0% and 100% respectively but I would expect there is some way to adjust these values within the OS. Again I don't expect this to be made available to the user for the sake of just me but I'm sure it's possible.

Thanks again for taking the time to consider my issues and for commenting.

Ps, the purpose for this "no-name" foot operated pedal is for wah, volume and occasionally the LPF effect, same as most other users, I'd imagine.

• @ckemper : I think the problem he encounters is simply the calibration data are reset when the pedal is unplugged ... that all ! The calibration process seems working well, but it is lost once unplugged.

...due to the continuous calibration that persists, even after exiting the "calibration" screen.
    (Which is how it's intended to operate, according to K support)

• I can't comment on the calibration issue, but I use an app called IFTTT (Apple or android) that has a notification function for forums, including Kemper that send me a notification anytime Kemper posts an announcement to "Announcements from Kemper" on the Private Forum

• Hi Steven, I am afraid we are on the same boat. I struggle with this problem too. Morphing is definitely NOT usable when KPA constantly recalibrates the maximum value during pedal use.
    I bought VOX Wah pedal, which I have transformed into expression pedal. I changed log pot for linear one and it worked like charm, but then i faced the same problem you have. The pedal is the same construction as Dunlop Cry Baby - it has rubber parts which get pressed when turning button on and off, which results in temporary changing value of pot to out-of-normal-range-usage and when KPA constantly recalibrates, I am no more able to reach value 127 (100%) and thus not able to use morphing.

This definitely is a problem for us and would be nice if it was addressed by Kemper team. Please make calibration lockable. Continuous calibration is nice feature, but does not work for everybody and we should be able to turn it off.
    I made a FR abou it here: Please make pedal calibration lockable / ability to turn off continuous pedal calibration