Bedroom volume

• I am struggling to get a good sound on low volume. When i listen to profile samples on youtube or profile providers webpage it sounds very good at low volume, but from my Kemper it don`t sound right on low volume. First when I turn up the volume it comes to live.
    even do I use the same fr monitors.
    Is it so that Kemper need volume to sound good?

Regards Paul

• I use a set of AKG 240 studio headphones for in home use. Nothing else sounds
    as good as these phones for low volume.
    Small studio monitors or a small hi fi speaker can be tweaked to sound o.k.
    but won't even come close to the AKG,s.
    A good interface, such as Focusrite or whatever matches up with your computer
    and a nice little Mackie mixer will complete the setup for playing along
    with YouTube.

• I also experience that headphones sounds good when I like to play at low level, but I cant understand why the sound samples sound so much better than my Kemper at low volume when the Kemper are connected directly to the same speakers. I thought a good profile will sound good also at low level?

• Most music sounds better with some volume. The thing is when I listen to the sample and play with the same profile at sam low level the sample sounds so much better and clearer. Maybe it was recorded on high level and thats the difference: I guess the Kemper need volume to be at its best, and if I recorded the sound and play it at low volume all the details vill be there....

• You are correct about a little bit louder sounding a little bit better - but, this is true about all musical sounds, not specific to the KPA.

At low levels, people hear fewer low frequencies. That is why "home theatre" equipment often includes a subwoofer, or a "loudness" switch.

The sound clips made by most people are as loud as CDs. That may be why they sound better to you - if you make your KPA the same volume as the sound clip, you should get a similar sound (if you are using a similar guitar and similar playing style).

• I agree that a sub will give a better bass respond and at low volume it helps.
    My thoughts are that the sound samples are recorded at a higher level and the resonance in the room and the guitar itself sounds different on higher volume.
    The feedback and vibration is totally different when playing loud and not at bedroom lever or with headphones.
    My monitors are Fluid Audio and I also have Residentaudio.

Edited once, last by Pau1968 ().

• The Kemper sounds exactly the same at all levels below clipping, Paul. It's not like a tube or even transistor amp; the output's characteristics do not vary with volume.

What you're hearing is a result of the combination of the Fletcher-Munson response of your ears, the room interaction with your speakers when at higher volumes, and the in-your-face bass response your headphones provide even at low levels.

• The Kemper sounds exactly the same at all levels below clipping, Paul. It's not like a tube or even transistor amp; the output's characteristics do not vary with volume.

What you're hearing is a result of the combination of the Fletcher-Munson response of your ears, the room interaction with your speakers when at higher volumes, and the in-your-face bass response your headphones provide even at low levels.

DING DING DING

• Is this different with the Kemper compared to other amp sims or modelers, played through the same monitors?

You might want to try to record a bit of noodling through your Kemper and play it back through the monitors, so you hear the sound without you playing. It might be that the mix of amp sound and acoustic sound from the guitar messes up the tone (which is more prominent at low volumes).