DigiTech Trio+

• I saw this recently and just fell over buying it.

It's the expanded version of the Trio, and it's ability to render Bass & Drums is too cool.

I'm using it solely as a song-writing inspiration, so my learning curve is much easier than a performing user.

That said, it didn't take me long to get the particulars up of laying down riffs for song parts (where Trio+ learns your riff and generates Drums to it's rhythm and Bass to it's chord structure) and then creating the loops (where you record those riffs so you can then solo over them)

I was impressed with it's ability to roll with some more complex chords. It didn't hiccup or nothing.

This is such a great tool for introverts and sociopaths who can now tell their drummer & bassist to jump in a lake.
    But I am 100% sure that real people would stir much more creativity than this box. That said, it's a jump forward in song-writing tool evolution, and the Trip+ has many more options than the Trio if you are into writing anything-at-any-time. Probably overkill, but it's worth the price if just for the Loop expansion and it's long time.

I haven't paired it with the Kemper yet, but there are a few threads here that speak to such pairings if you Google search them.

Bottom Line: IF you are thinking of buying this, it's worth the price. If you haven't heard of it, it's one of those gadgets that are a pure joy to use. Probably the best guitar gadget invented short of the Kemper, but the best guitar gadget for songwriting.

• I've read a few of your threads and posts about hooking it up to the Kemper, but just haven't gotten around to it.

For me, just straight up is fine for song-writing most of the time since I often use an Acoustic Guitar.

That said, do you have a pedal for it? I have the Boss FS6 which doesn't do much. I ordered the Digitech Pedal off Amazon.

(on another note, the Boss FS6 doesn't seem to work with the X-Touch -> Reaper on my iMac. Shame, may have to return it)

• OK, so you pushed me over the edge and I just ordered one. Musicians Friend has a sale going on, so got it for 15% off 8)

I already have the Digitech switch pedal from a few years back. I'll probably connect it after the Kemper. We'll see ...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• The Digitech additional switch (FS-3X) is very useful with the Trio+ if you want to expand performing with it.
    I had one lying around from a JamMan that I once owned.

That's exactly why I have one :D

• Interesting. I always liked the look of Logic Drummer which follows your playing with a beat, but I don't have a Mac and Apple's whole business model lately has left me cold.

So I use Ableton Live and normally program my own drums or use the BFD midi loop library and drag and drop. But that is getting a bit stale.

How could Trio help me? Could I import the drums and bass creations into Ableton? Could it export midi or just Wav info?

Thanks
    Mark

• I think you're have to record them.

But maybe Ingolf has looked at the SD format.

Are the SD files wav? Or are the Drums/Bass meta-data for algorithm generation, forcing you to record the output?

• You have to record them (which I tried in Ableton, it's very cumersome in the end with warping and all).
    The Trio+ writes in its own proprietary format, the SD card essentially is only useful for archiving Trio's performances/songs on your PC with the Trio manager software.

• What I would do (assuming I don't like the drumming per se for a part in Trio+) is either:
    a) play the style on a VDRUM
    b) MIDI Keyboard trigger a drum MIDI loop
    c) create a drum loop via a MIDI editor
    d) or find a similar MIDI loop (time consuming)

THEN I'd port it to EZ Drummer 2.0

In EZ, I could import that MIDI loop to either:
    a) search my purchased Toontrack, personal or Third-Party MIDI drum files for a similar set to work with or
    b) just use "Song Creator" which creates many drum patterns based on the imported patter. (i.e. INTRO, VERSE, CHORUS, BRIDGE, OUTRO, etc)

From there you drop/drag into a song timeline and then export or drop/drag the entire song into your DAW as MIDI, or record it as a WAV. ( do MIDI and only freeze or record if I run into CPU problems)

EZ Drummer is your friend in this regard for drum song creation. Logic is a great 'quick and dirty' drumming tool and in SOME rare cases will be good enough if you're not picky about drumming. But there is a learning curve to tailoring it to your style. Plus, as said, you need to be an Apple person, which you aren't, so no Logic Pro X for you! ;)

An advantage of EZ is it's tone is a "finished" drum sound. Vs others like Superior that are raw expecting you to tailor and add effects to sit in your mix as you design it. So EZ is a "Drumming for Dummies" in that regard. I personally like Superior Drummer for finishing a drum part, but I do get lazy and stick with EZ plenty of times.

Those are my explored paths. Of course, many DAWs have great MIDI editors, and there are lots of other drumming plugins just as good for tones. Whatever you are used to.

But even if you have a preferred Drum Plugin, nothing comes close to EZ for drum pattern creation for songwriters when you lack recording a real drummer.

Sometimes, I use EZ Drummer, then "learn" the part on Roland VDrums and record that, midi edit (or Melodyne 4 edit the wav) any poor timing (I'm new to drumming) and therefore get a more 'organic' and 'basement' rock feel.

Lot-o-choices for us hobbyists.

• Thanks guys, interesting, I didn't realise ez drummer could create patterns based on template.

Could I use it to generate midi patterns for intro, verse etc and then import those into Ableton and use BFD to play them? sounds like I can.

I really like BFD samples because they are so raw, I hate processed drums, I like the Steve albini school of drums.

I loved my ipad until it bricked and won't turn on. The apple thing is because of a few factors. Firstly since brexit the pricing has gone ridiculously high in the UK. but also I disagree with their removal standardised ports forcing you to buy special adaptors and cables. and how they make it insanely difficult to upgrade hard drives or ram in modern macs to force you to buy their insanely high priced memory. I think they are getting quite arrogant now so I will seek alternatives where possible. :)

• Or you could create the parts, drop them into EZ's Song Track, finalize the layout, then import the MIDI to Ableton for BFD.

The amazing thing about EZ also is the ability to search through your own MIDI library for pattern matching giving a % of likelihood matches.

Really saves time on all of it. Also, if you don't like the choices given for the Verse choices, you can just recreate and it puts up different variations.
    Or you could slightly alter the original MIDI and do part generation for that.

• Interesting read that is guys.

I do own the Trio+ since it was released. The Bassplayer (e.g. R&B!!!) is mostly fantastic, sometimes it's over the top for sure. Good that you have a bass reduce button. And good that there is a looper built in so that you may record the more complex chords that shall not be played according to the manual. Helps a lot. On top of it there is a SD card ready to record you latest 12 ideas. So, when planning for a holiday, pack your tele, put in your Trio+ add headphones or a small 5W tube amp and you're ready to go. You might even reduce the holiday expenses by playin in a club with your axe, the 5w amp and a bit of unplugged singing. Doesn't sound too bad, really.
    After 12 songs you just change the card and then ... .
    Did I mention that there is also a button for the extra liveliness of parts?
    Tried that last summer holidays (well the surplus money wasn't substantial. But you guessed that already, didn't you.)and came back with some nice ideas for the band. I'm not much of a jazz player, but surely it's fun to do it with Trio+.
    I also tried to first make a track on TRIO+ and then better it wit EZ Drummer. Works really cool.
    Only thing that nags me is the unpredictability of what Trio+ will make of my original input strumming. More than once I had a hard time to reproduce the track I found by accident. Very much depends on how quick you play.
    Over all: Very good device.
    It's some money, but it's worth it. In some respects it even can hold a candle to BOSS DR880 my favorite solution when the drummer did oversleep.

Joachim

• That's cool actually, namely that subtle playing differences produce noticeably different drumming. That is what spurs creativity, since it's not "sterile" by being predictable.

I remember having a ball going through my DR880 and as I put on a new pattern, just coming up with new motifs. It was the best drumming device I've ever had for that.
    Even if they weren't always usable, they spurred creativity by being unique. Most drum loops sold today (live clips or MIDI patterns) have a predictability that don't really spur creativity by themselves.

Glad to see the 880 still has staying power. Remember the staying power of the Alesis SR16? Heck, I sold mine 20 years after buying it for the same price I bought it used for!

So when people talk about electronic gear like the Kemper becoming obsolete, I'm thinking "I know a LOT of digital gear still quite useful and relevant, many from the 80's".

• yep, I've been playing with it for a while and need to get the FS-3X. good sounds and great songwriting / home rehearsing tool.
    drawbacks are: no possibility to setup a 4-bar break or an 4-bar bip intro except when programming and lame hip-hop bass. the unit looks upgradable, I hope digiteck will release a SW update

• So after looking this over, I think I'll be connecting the Kemper's Direct output to it with an unprocessed guitar signal, then feed it into a mixer.