What did you get for Black Friday '16?

• I love the pink paisley one! Harry's Guitar shop here in Raleigh had one sitting around for a year. I would pick it up and play it, but was afraid (as a guy) to buy a pink guitar, haha. Well, once day I though "Life is too short to have stupid hang-ups about gender" especially since Brad plays one, right? so I decided to buy it. I call up and my fav luthier says a woman from Greensboro just came and bought it. I'm like "haha, that's funny, no I'll be there in 10m" and he goes "no, I'm not joking, a woman called and drove from Greensboro to come and get that guitar and just bought it a few minutes ago."
    You snooze, you lose! ;)

I like the natural wood one, good pick. Are you going to branch out to ASAT or even a super-tele like an Anderson one day? I only have a 52 RI form '98 which has Alnico V's in it and it's a beast. (the newer RI's have Alnico III's and are too tame IMO)

Bummer about the Pink Paisley. Sometimes things aren't meant to be, plenty of them on Reverb or Ebay.

I'm not much of a fan of Brad Paisley's music but much respect for his playing. I go further back to Scotty Moore, James Burton, and Vince Gill style "chicken pickin". I think these guitars were put out in the hippie days when CBS wanted to sell more Tele's so they made them flowery (they have a cool looking Blue one also). James Burton played one for a long time. I really like the sound of a Basswood Tele (it's lighter also), stock bridge pickup sounds great, replaced neck pup because it was dead sounding.

I believe the G&L I ordered is called a ASAT vintage, not sure what it stands for but I heard "A Sweet Ass Tele" :P
    I've heard so many good things about the quality of G&L guitars for the price and at $350 I couldn't resist. We'll see how it plays ?(

You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools
    But that's the way I like it baby
    I don't wanna live forever

• I love the pink paisley one! Harry's Guitar shop here in Raleigh had one sitting around for a year. I would pick it up and play it, but was afraid (as a guy) to buy a pink guitar, haha. Well, once day I though "Life is too short to have stupid hang-ups about gender" especially since Brad plays one, right? so I decided to buy it. I call up and my fav luthier says a woman from Greensboro just came and bought it. I'm like "haha, that's funny, no I'll be there in 10m" and he goes "no, I'm not joking, a woman called and drove from Greensboro to come and get that guitar and just bought it a few minutes ago."

Don't want to get you in trouble :P but I found these on Sweetwater..
    Good price (that's close to what I paid for the 2002) and it doesn't say if they are made in Japan, but the specs are the same as mine Vintage neck and all.

-Jen

• You are a VERY patient man! :)

Hi Michael (I changed my Avatar so you can see I'm a "chick" ) :D

So I had the "unboxing". Here's some pics

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70005554/guitars/ASAT/IMAG0394.jpg][Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70005554/guitars/ASAT/IMAG0395.jpg][Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70005554/guitars/ASAT/IMAG0396.jpg]

The guitar looks nice (it's heavy). Just playing around with the controls through a clean amp, sounds nice, like a Tele but a little hotter pups.

Only concern is the neck. It says it's supposed to be a "satin finish" but it feels like it's unfinished. The frets need polishing also.

I need to inspect more because I hope the neck isn't warped. The relief is low on the high side and high on the low side ?(

Cheers,
    Jen

• Ah, sorry.. I guess the "chick" in the user name should have alerted me...

I have a guitar whose neck is finished in a different way than "normal finish, then sanded" - it's some kind of process where it sinks into the wood. It almost feels unfinished. I wonder if that's what you have too.

I guess the relief would be worse if it was the other way around. Give it a thorough setup and a long playthrough - and see if there is a problem with buzzing etc etc. Hope everything is in order! :)

• "I need to inspect more because I hope the neck isn't warped. The relief is low on the high side and high on the low side"

A warped neck is the only thing that would explain that. Michael is right - set it up for the high side and see if it buzzes or frets out on the low side, If it does, I think you'll need to return the guitar

Bummer

Nothing worse that getting a new guitar and finding a problem.

P.

• Andy Mason, the luthier that made acoustics for Jethro Tull, wrote to me once about doing that on purpose with his acoustics. So, good luck, and try it thoroughly.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• Do you mean that's how it's done for a warped neck? Fender, Gibson, Musicman and Duesenberg (the guitars I own) don't specify any side to set the relief that I'm aware of.

In my experience it depends on the tech you talk to, and of course personal preference. But seeing as most people tend to bend the high string more above the 7th fret, I'd set up so it doesn't fret out on the high side.

If you have a preference for a higher relief setting it may not be an issue at all. If however you prefer a flat relief setting with a low action a warped neck has more chance of being an issue.

Just my opinion, I'm not an expert, however I've been setting up my own guitars for many years.

Please feel free to ignore my view completely, not trying to be a know it all. :thumbup:

P.

• Huh... Well, you make some good points :)

PRS recommend setting it up for the low string, I think that's why it was in my head.

I'd still INITIALLY set it up for the low e string and see if there is a problem with the high e-string from there (including for bends). Especially since there seems to be less relief on the high e string side. My thinking is that string height is often set higher on the thicker strings, I guess it would make sense that the same be true for relief. I guess the important thing is not to jump to conclusions based on setting relief and string height for what is suitable for just ONE of the sides, whereever one starts :)

• Yeah the neck is too much of a mess for me to spend any more time with. I removed the strings, did a setup including polish frets with steel wool, turned the truss rod a bit in each direction to loosen it up and once back together same problem. It just doesn't feel right, the high E string also has a "Sitar" sound when open. I took a look at the nut and made sure it was smooth and lubricated and it didn't help. As far as the relief, I thought if the neck is true, when you Capo the 1st fret and hold the last fret you basically have a straight line down the neck without saddles or nut interference, if the relief is off quite a bit from low string to the high one, something must be weird, either Neck twisted or fret issues.

Every guitar I have from $100 Chinese Les Paul copy to the Fender Tele Elite have similar distances on each side of the neck. I really like the look, the hardware is solid, and Pups sound nice(seems like the same in the USA models) that I'm going to give Musicians Friend another chance. I've never purchased a guitar from them (usually Sweetwater) but they are the only major retailer that carries G&L. X(

• Yeah the neck is too much of a mess for me to spend any more time with. I removed the strings, did a setup including polish frets with steel wool, turned the truss rod a bit in each direction to loosen it up and once back together same problem. It just doesn't feel right, the high E string also has a "Sitar" sound when open. I took a look at the nut and made sure it was smooth and lubricated and it didn't help. As far as the relief, I thought if the neck is true, when you Capo the 1st fret and hold the last fret you basically have a straight line down the neck without saddles or nut interference, if the relief is off quite a bit from low string to the high one, something must be weird, either Neck twisted or fret issues.

Every guitar I have from $100 Chinese Les Paul copy to the Fender Tele Elite have similar distances on each side of the neck. I really like the look, the hardware is solid, and Pups sound nice(seems like the same in the USA models) that I'm going to give Musicians Friend another chance. I've never purchased a guitar from them (usually Sweetwater) but they are the only major retailer that carries G&L. X(

Yeah... If you can't get it to a good setup, they gotta try again - hope they have a good return policy?

• I did an upgrade to Izotope's Mix & Master Bundle. And I took a chance on their Iris2 Synth for 49€. I won't buy any more plugins until I have at least finished one record :D .

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• [Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70005554/guitars/ASAT/IMAG0394.jpg][Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70005554/guitars/ASAT/IMAG0395.jpg][Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70005554/guitars/ASAT/IMAG0396.jpg]

Could you please tell me the exact color of the blue Strat in the back? I've been looking for that kind of blue for a while now and can't seem to find it anywhere. Maybe the color's name will get me closer. Nice Tellie by the way! Thx in advance :)

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• I won't buy any more plugins until I have at least finished one record

Yeah, right. Good luck with that, 'Loogie!

I think you'll like the iZotope bundle, BTW. Excellent choice, mate; IMHO you cannot go wrong with that.

EDIT: Don't know if you've run the plugin yet, but apparently Iris is super-heavy on CPU. Keep the max-voice number down if you can.

Sitar Sound
    Often, for me, the remedy is to put a small piece of paper folded once under that string in the nut groove, under the string, on the High E and see if the sitar ringing stops. If so, that means the nut is sized too large for that string. Doesn't look pretty but works. I once saw a pro players guitar that had this done to it and laughed knowing immediately why. I usually have a bone nut made by my luthier and that fixes it, haha. If it's a keeper. Your's doesn't sound like a keeper.

Frets/Neck
    When you were checking the frets, are any popped up or at least glued too high? A way to tell is get a straight piece of metal (metal ruler) and see if one is up too high vs them being flush for a few frets. I've seen it on low end guitars (i.e. Gretsch Electromatic's) and they typically need resetting.

But generally I'd return a guitar that just doesn't feel right after your own setup. I think of it like dating. If it isn't right at the start, it typically doesn't get better after that, lol!

They have to be judged as individuals. The "content of their character". And your ASAT seems "warped"! ;)

Sorry that happened to you. Pick up your favorite and rediscover why that is!

• Sitar Sound
    Often, for me, the remedy is to put a small piece of paper folded once under that string in the nut groove, under the string, on the High E and see if the sitar ringing stops. If so, that means the nut is sized too large for that string. Doesn't look pretty but works. I once saw a pro players guitar that had this done to it and laughed knowing immediately why. I usually have a bone nut made by my luthier and that fixes it, haha. If it's a keeper. Your's doesn't sound like a keeper.

Thanks for the tip!!
    That identified the problem. The nut is cut too wide for the High E.

I suppose I could keep it and only play "Signed Sealed and Delivered" or "It ain't over till it's over"

:thumbup: