Studio Speakers

• Hi Codeseven.
    I use Yamaha HS--7. They work well for me and are reasonably priced. However you need to be aware of the rear port so it's recommended not to place them to close to a wall. They do have a bass cut to compensate if you can't avoid this. They sound great.

Some people say you shouldn't go smaller than 6 inch but this is very subjective as everyone's preference is different. What sounds great to some people sounds bad to others. If you can try and take your kemper to a store to try some out.

Adams have a great reputation.

P.

• I am about to order the IK Multimedia Micro Monitors for my desk as soon as they are available here (again). I was using M-Audio 8-inchers for some time. While not sounding bad in any way, I did not get a clear sound image from them (can't explain better, sry). The IKs' seem to solve this somehow because of their small footprint keeping the highs, mids and lows somewhat closer to each other. I'll do a review after having played with them. Seems btw they fit into the KPA bag's side pockets.

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• Thanks guys.

The Adams are no doubt fantastic speakers. But, I'm starting to think that if I were Mastering in a high end studio maybe the Adams would be more appropriate, but since I'm just playing at home but still want great sound maybe something else a notch down would be appropriate. I don't mind spending the money, I'm just not sure going for top of the line is necessary.

• You really would benefit from taking your kemper into a store so you can try some alternatives.

No matter what anyone advises only you can know what sounds good for you.

And of course playing with all the kit in the shop is part of the fun :evil:

P.

• Thanks guys.

The Adams are no doubt fantastic speakers. But, I'm starting to think that if I were Mastering in a high end studio maybe the Adams would be more appropriate, but since I'm just playing at home but still want great sound maybe something else a notch down would be appropriate. I don't mind spending the money, I'm just not sure going for top of the line is necessary.

Well, if you just want big bang for your buck, you can never go wrong with Yamaha IMHO.

• Yup, been seeing allot of great reviews for the HS8's, also the JBL 308's. Seems allot guys were initially happy with they're 5" speakers realized after listening to 8" they were missing allot of bass tones ' at lower, bedroom volume'.

Spending $500 on a single Adam A5X for just practice/noodle around with seems excessive, not to mention no stereo affect.

• I own the Yamaha HS5 and they are really lacking low end on their own. So I got the HS8s recently to make up for the lack of bass. Of course the HS5 and the HS8s combined are not that low budget but sound phenomenal to my ears. But I don't have any experience in other Monitors so... yeah.

• Im using the smallest powered genelecs available, (pack of milk size). Since my room is not balanced acousticly , i didnt go for full reference speakers, but they do a pretty good job imo, affordable, and sound pretty comfortable.

• If I could afford them, I'd buy a pair of Dynaudio BM15A's. By all accounts, they are fantastic monitors. I'm currently using a pair of Mackie HR824's (not MKII) which are quite good, in my opinion.

• Went to Guitar Center and used they're recording room to A/B all they're studio monitors using the same song/volume while switching back and forth between different monitor sets.

Well, I picked the Yammi HS5's. For one, I didn't realize the physical size of the 6,7,8" speaker cabinets were bigger than I had anticipated and much larger than what I pictured in my practice space. Those sound great and are much louder, but I found the smaller 5" can hold they're own, even in the much larger room (compared to my practice space) at GC.

Of the 5" monitors, to my ears, the Yammi's sounded best. Crisp, clear highs, good mids and much better bass than I expected to hear out of a 5" speaker. Being on sale for $50 off each speaker didn't hurt either [Blocked Image: http://www.scuffhamamps.com/media/kunena/emoticons/cool.png]

I've got 30 days to check'em out so we'll see.

Thanks again.

• Like others have said...you cannot go wrong with Yamaha. Great products, high quality, reasonable prices.

:thumbup:

• Maybe some day you'll be able to get the HS8s to compliment them. The HS5 aren't bad in the base department for a 5 inch speaker. But the HS8s makes them way more fun.

Thanks guys.

That's definitely a concern. I read 5" speakers lack bass, which they do in comparison to 8's, but the 5's do surprisingly well at bass and I'm hoping in my smaller practice space (much smaller than the Recording Room at GC) they'll hold they're own at lower volumes. If not, I'll have to decide to either add a sub or move on up to the 8's (and add a sub? 8| ).

• Well, after using the HS5's for awhile now I have mixed feelings about them. First of all, they're great speakers, no doubt. Well constructed and more importantly, sound great. However, for what Im trying to accomplish, which is great sounding Amp modeled guitar, at low volume, the 5's are lacking. The bass response is ok, but there is no punch. Sure, turn them up (they get plenty loud) and all is well, but again, low volume practice and playing (in a relatively small space) is what I primarily do.

Questions, Am I asking too much from a small speaker? Would simply moving up to the HS8's cure my low volume punch problem? Perhaps the rearward facing bass opening on this Yamaha is too dependent on where it is place in relation to walls? Is this where an attenuator comes into play when playing at low volumes? Would simply adding a subwoofer add to the punch or only add bass?

Can't say I'm going to return them yet but not sure if I'll keep them either.