Possible New Feature Idea - Guitar Transposer

• Another feature idea to float, I'm sure the forum will tell me if I'm off base......

As I understand it, the KPA's total profiling process takes into account the guitar as one of the key elements in how the tone is constructed. And a final profile will not sound the same if a Strat is plugged into a profile constructed using a Les Paul. More difference than if those same guitars were plugged into an actual tube amp. In other words, to get the tones the profile maker intended, the guitar really matters. That being said....

What about a Guitar Transposer effect? It would transpose whatever guitar a player is using to more closely mimic the guitar used to create the profile so that everything in the KPA's chain after that point would then behave much more closely to the original profile makers tone. This would require some work on Kemper's side to take some type of a snapshot of the guitar during the profile process (possibly during the refinement process) and save it as part of the internal profile data. Then, if a user decides to turn on the Guitar Transpose effect it will trigger the KPA to engage the correct logic to alter the incoming signal to more closely match the footprint of the original guitar that was used to create the profile. The final tone coming out of the KPA being a very close match to the original tone the profile maker intended.

Thoughts??

Sonic

• As I understand it, the KPA's total profiling process takes into account the guitar as one of the key elements in how the tone is constructed.
    Thoughts??

Sonic

This is wrong, sorry.
    The only time a guitar comes into play is when you dial in your amp for a certain guitar.

• This is wrong, sorry.The only time a guitar comes into play is when you dial in your amp for a certain guitar.

What I meant to say was the guitar is a part of the total chain for which the KPA is trying to profile and to later reproduce the sound. In other words, the guitar is indeed a key element of the tone just like the amp, cab speakers and mics. When a profile is later used by a player, the one changing variable typically becomes the guitar.. If I am off base and entirely missing something then please explain. Unless you are suggesting the KPA is already using some sort of filtering logic to remove the guitar from the resulting tone logic in a way that the KPA knows how to reproduce the tone regardless of guitar? That it will sound no different than when using a tube amp with two different guitars?

• The Kemper should sound like a tube amp when using two different guitars.

There's nothing to remove from the tone logic as there isn't anything which takes the guitar into account. You can profile an amp without even ownong a guitar.

• I think I now see the error in my explanation....

First though, there is a refinement step during the profiling process involving a guitar, is there not? That uses the guitar signal, not a generated signal, so in that instance the guitar plays a role. I was under the impression that most commercial profiles utilize this refinement process, however maybe this is a wrong assumption?

But more importantly....

When people buy a profile they usually do so based upon what they heard listening to clips. If they want their results to sound very close to the demo clips they need to be using the same guitar. But that's not usually the case. A guitar transposer effect would allow this. In fact, as I mentioned already, the refinement portion of the profiling process could save a footprint of the guitar so the KPA could later come close to emulating the original guitar used to create (refine) the profile. Would it be exact? No. But it could allow the KPA to at least adjust for gain coming out of the pickups, and some sort of EQ shelving/boosting in the top/mid/lower registers which should result in a much closer replication = all with the punch of a button (the Guitar Transposer effect).

This would result in more happy profile purchasers, which only helps to strengthen further the rep of the KPA..

Lastly, think about this: How cool would it be to be able to switch up guitars and have the tone remain similar? Maybe you spend hours tweaking an amp setup, then build your own profile only to later want to use a different guitar while recording or performing. With the Guitar Transposer feature, simply hit a button and it will help get you close to the original. You don't have to try and adjust a bunch of KPA settings, or go back and set up and dial in the rig again, and re-create another profile. Nope, you just hit a single button. Actually, the more I think about it, it would be nice to have a mix knob to be able to choose just how much of Transposer effect is imposed.

Anyway, again, just tossing the idea out there...

• Okay, I see your point. I don't think that the specific guitar plays a big role during profiling, but I could be wrong here.

Perhaps your feature request could be granted with an eq in the input section (with the option to be set automatically with some kind of measuring of the input signal, don't know if that's possible). The output strength already can be adjusted with clean and distortion sense.

However, switching pickups would be a problem, as these settings wouldn't work equally well in all positions.

I don't need such a feature. I usually switch guitars, if I want it to sound different, not to have the same sound woth a different guitar. I really like about the Kemper that my different guitars actually sound different.

• The Kemper should sound like a tube amp when using two different guitars.

There's nothing to remove from the tone logic as there isn't anything which takes the guitar into account. You can profile an amp without even ownong a guitar.

This. No need to overcomplicate a simple thing.
    There are already quite powerful tools in the amp section to alter a profile in case your experience should not be as expected because of using a different guitar type.

• First though, there is a refinement step during the profiling process involving a guitar, is there not? That uses the guitar signal, not a generated signal, so in that instance the guitar plays a role. I was under the impression that most commercial profiles utilize this refinement process, however maybe this is a wrong assumption?

As stated by the Kemper team, the guitar involved in refining as no influence on final tone, except maybe for dropped tuning for instance as it will allow some better response in the dropped range, but that's it.

I like the idea of a guitar pickup simulator , transposer or even variax mode where you could profile the guitar also, but that would be overkill for my needs, it's more natural to switch guitar and choose a carefully matched profile.

• When you go through the profiling procedure. It is accomplished by sending its set of audio patterns through the amp and speakers and then analyzing the output to get the profile of the amp. The guitar is not part of this process. The only time the guitar plays any part is during the refinement of the profile.

• A guitar simulator is not a bad idea though. I saw this previously in the Roland GT10 and GT100. You could make a strat pickup sound like a humbucker of vice-versa. Never did try it so I don't know how well it worked.

• The guitar sound itself is not used in the profile - only how the amp responds to it. Think of it as a alternative profiling signal (alternative to the alien noises, that is).

Sure, but different guitars provide different alternative profiling signals as they have different frequency responses

• Let's try this angle:

Delta X is the tone & feel difference between the same tube amp played with a Strat and a Les Paul.
    Delta Y is the tone & feel difference between a profile of the same amp played with the same Strat and Les Paul.

Z is the difference between the two above. I maintain Z is not likely 0 (in tone and/or feel). However, with the Transposer Effect Z could be significantly reduced.

I think the core debate here is how large really is Z ? Somebody would have perform a test. As somebody pointed out earlier, some profile makers are building rig packs with both Strats and Les Pauls. This kind of implies that Z plays a role in tone and/or feel.

• No no, that only implies that there is a difference between tweaking the source amp for a les paul and tweaking it for a strat. That has nothing to do with the profiler's ability to accurately represent the source amp.

• No no, that only implies that there is a difference between tweaking the source amp for a les paul and tweaking it for a strat. That has nothing to do with the profiler's ability to accurately represent the source amp.

This is where we'll have to agree to disagree. Without a test (or the designer to weigh in) I suspect Z may very well be discernable. Yes, the KPA will reproduce something, but is it the same something a tube amp would produce once the guitar is changed? If you stop and think about it, why is there a refinement process if not to get the profile more accurate - based on the guitar being used. If the guitar is not potentially important then why not just have the profiler run through a more detailed variety of test tones? I maintain the guitar matters. And as such, if a particular profile was made never even "hearing" a different guitar (especially something as different as a Stat vs. Les Paul) the resulting profile is going to sound more different when changing guitars than if those same guitars were swapped on the amp itself.

• Everyone knows that wasn't realistic and same goes, for Tone Stacks, powerful EQs are perfect for Studio engineers but authentic Tone Stacks are perfect for guitarists who aren't studio engineers also.

Is it so hard to use Bass, Middle, Treble and Presence to your liking? I don't think you have to be a studio engineer to turn these knobs..