All in one device to control band performances

• My MPC1000 can utilise up to 32 midi channels simultaneously, as well as play back wav files.

I use it to control my Kemper, change patches and play back sounds on my Motif, send midi drum messages to my Perc Pro drum robots and also change the PC# on my midi expression pedal. I also have plans to playback certain audio files, such as "voice overs" and certain sound effects during performances.

Because it has so many channels, it's pretty much future proof and you're able to integrate more instruments and players within a performance, all pretty seamlessly.

All it needs is a start/stop message to get the whole thing started and keep everything in sync, it has a rock solid clock, which is very important, imo.

• While this is cool, I can get a laptop and interface for cheaper. Heck I could get two setups for the price of one of these.

Laptops aren't the most stable thing in the world, there's a reason why most musicians shy away from using them on stage. All those vibrations, the heat from the stage lights, the general finicky nature of computers in general. This thing is about the price of a macbook and my Akai is really reliable. I'd pick reliability over cost for an application like this.

Just reading of some experiences with onstage horror due to a laptop going berserk is enough to not want to mess with computers at a gig. There are plenty of such threads.

• I'd love if they'd make a light version of the mpc life which was more a wav player with 4-6 outs and a midi player to send midi commands if needed. Like that it'd be perfect to swap the laptop for it. But I agree that regarding the price many uf us will probably take even 2 laptops with'em which are cheaper..

• Laptops aren't the most stable thing in the world, there's a reason why most musicians shy away from using them on stage. All those vibrations, the heat from the stage lights, the general finicky nature of computers in general. This thing is about the price of a macbook and my Akai is really reliable. I'd pick reliability over cost for an application like this.
    Just reading of some experiences with onstage horror due to a laptop going berserk is enough to not want to mess with computers at a gig. There are plenty of such threads.

any piece of gear can break down, so a backup of some kind for anything is always recommend. I would be willing to bet that a lot of people having laptop issues don't use that system strictly for music.
    As for vibrations, not a concern with SSD. Stages are also not hot anymore thanks to led lighting, so unless you are playing outside its not a concern.

I think these units are cool but for me they need to be priced lower to make me look at them. It's a nice tool and I would never say not to get one, it's nice to have choices.

• I'd love if they'd make a light version of the mpc life which was more a wav player with 4-6 outs and a midi player to send midi commands if needed. Like that it'd be perfect to swap the laptop for it. But I agree that regarding the price many uf us will probably take even 2 laptops with'em which are cheaper..

Haha, maybe I have this all wrong and these things are priced too high. From what I could make out, they were priced about the same as a macbook with decent specs.

FWIW, I bought a second-hand MPC1000 and it covers all the bases I need. Was contemplating selling it and getting one of these new touchscreen ones, but going by the general consensus, I'll probably skip it.

• I once thought about buying something for playing backing tracks but most where far to complex and though too expensive for such a simple task. So at the moment we have an simple pc with interface doing the job. But perhaps I have to look into that again..

• I once thought about buying something for playing backing tracks but most where far to complex and though too expensive for such a simple task. So at the moment we have an simple pc with interface doing the job. But perhaps I have to look into that again..

One device that is being used by some of the other guys on this forum is the Cymatic LP-16. It's pretty no-frills, can play 16 backing tracks simultaneously, I think, but only one midi file. 349 euros, so a bit expensive. I got my MPC used for about $700-800.

• Hey Cymatic, I thought to have heard that name already and just recently and with a bit of googling around it occured to me: They make a option-card for the berhinger x32 wich adds all the features to the x32 mixer. I looked at that because I bought an x32 just lately. Perhaps that would then be the logic solution. Thanks for pointing me to that :)

• Will do but first I have to learn to use the x32 and then retire the old analog console. If that went well (and my wallet recovered) I'll look into that again. In the meantime the pc will have to do the work :)