Maybe a Helix contender ... But "gapless switching" and yet another modeller ... What do y'all think?

• I still frequent the AVID eleven forum occasionally and today I read that in this new device, even though it shares the same list as eleven rack amps and cabinets, the amps are modeled using new algorithms from the ground up, that utilize the quad core processor!

To me this means, if true, that it will be better than the Helix and Fractal AX8's/AXE FX II . Eleven Rack was definitely better than POD HD but as good if not better than the old AXE FX ultra. The reverbs, compressors and Modulation were really good in the Eleven. So it doesn't have 4 signal paths and crazy number of FX loops, but for Real good amp tones, who really needs that.

• Here's another video

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Still hard to truly tell anything, but gives you more than just the lead tone in the last video. It sounds decent enough to my ears, but best to wait until people get their hands on it and start reviewing.

I'll be working the Hosa booth at NAMM and might have to find where this is to try it out myself.

• There's still a ton of romanticism for old guitar heroes, no doubt, and these are still some of the guys who either revolutionized certain types of playing or are now synonymous with a brand.

Exactly.You nailed it.

Now..do we have any players today who have the guts to at least try being somehow a "rebell";Doing things exclusivly their own way while they dont care about anything;Like Hendrix,Santana or Slash did;

Or do we have today kids who are just educated in school & universities to become the next "soldier for career" without any desire for being a "rebell" at all;Kids who think that being a "Hippster" is the highest degree of being allowed by the society for showing their "desire for revolution";

Actually the whole PR of our times is about to be "mediocre".We live in a mediocracy.

And you cant do any "marketing" with this spirit.And this is the reason we still see Slash on 99 out of 100 posters for Gibson & Marshall for the last 25 years and not a Bonamassa.

Being a "rebell" is actually the "basic requirement" for doing revolutionary things against old thinking,old ways of doing art & music and I honestly would like to see more of this "rebellion" today with the kids.As long as this is not the case everything will continue to sink and fall more and more into stereotypes and clichés..most of all this is the case for music and specially "rocknroll".

• Well maybe it's because I'm still young... but I don't think that everything is that bad nowadays.
    We do have many musicians that do things that haven't been done before. Do you call that a rebellion? I don't know.
    Politics and Music is maybe not as strongly connected as it was back then. But there still have been big bands with many political themes. SOAD comes to mind.
    Your whole point about having to be a rebell to be able to be in marketing doesn't make sense to me.
    I never saw these old rockheroes as rebels. And I believe neither do any of the other people in their early 20s.
    For me they are people who made it in music.

• I never saw these old rockheroes as rebels. And I believe neither do any of the other people in their early 20s.
    For me they are people who made it in music.

This is a very different issue if we just talk about "marketing"..let alone that maybe these "rockheroes" are not rebels for you and your generation but they have been exactly this way back then for their parents,the church,politics and the societies in general. ;)

Today times are different..you can do everything and nothing shocks anymore when we know that the parents today are the exact same kids who shocked their parents in the late 60s/early 70s.. :D

Anyway..

We do have many musicians that do things that haven't been done before.

Like who;

• I'll try to keep this brief since this is a rabbit hole I've gone down before.

Part of the reason we consistently see old guitar heroes in marketing, including dead ones, is that the electric guitar in their time was incredibly young. When Hendrix came along, the instrument was about 10 years old. It wasn't even 30 years old when EVH came around, which gives you a ton of time to innovate because there were seemingly endless possibilities for style, not to mention how young amplifiers and effects were. These days that is pretty hard to do, and typically when players try it, it's so far out of the norm that most people don't get into it.

So, part of the reason you see Slash in marketing everywhere for Marshall and Gibson is that he's a safe marketing bet. It's not that there aren't other talented and even original players out there, it's just that Marshall doesn't see how much money they could make on them. You can't really blame the player when the company refuses to invest in that kind of marketing.

I remember in the 2000's seeing the guitarists from Korn on the cover of every other guitar magazine and in every Ibanez advertisement. They were doing something new-ish and marketing saw how they could sell the image, especially because the band itself was a big sell. When Korn became less popular, you saw them around less and less. My point being that marketing is fluid based on the flavor of the month, which isn't really the fault of the player, but they always return to the mainstays because they're proven to sell.

I'm actually a big classical music fan and a while ago a friend who was bemoaning modern musicians told me, "the next Beethoven is too busy right now on his iPhone". I can only respond that there are plenty of new and sometimes interesting classical musicians making new music. The form, however, has been around for hundreds of years and it's really damn hard to innovate it without being weird, avant garde, or confusing your audience. Hell, Beethoven confused the shit out of his audiences with the 5th Symphony. The point being, people are still talented and trying new things, but we are either slow to accept it, refuse it, or if someone is trying to be the next Beethoven, it sounds old and unoriginal to us.

Ultimately I think this attitude mainly comes from an older generation that sees the music industry as drastically different than what they're used to and don't quite know what to make of it. It's filled with just as much superficiality as it was before, only we credit people who felt were innovators because everything was so new. We can't reinvent the wheel a million times over and the industry has exploded with so much experimentation and new approaches to music that weren't possible 10-20 years ago. Maybe from solely a guitarists perspective it seems less inspiring, but that's a pretty limited prism from which to view music.

Maybe it's just because I'm 31 that I'm not old enough to pine for the good old days and learned to accept things as they are rather than what I think they should be. I still find tons of valid criticism for the current music industry, but I don't spend as much time accosting everyone for perceived mediocrity. I see the innovation, I just don't particularly care for most of it.

• @Nikos
    Let me try to explain why I believe that it is very hard to shock a whole society today.
    Today in western countries you have way more personal freedoms than you had 30 years ago.
    One of the main values of this day is to be tolerant and to accept each other. Whatever your race, religion or sexuality may be.
    Maybe this sounds strange but I believe that because we have more freedom we have less things to rebel against. There are less and less people that have one particular mindset that you can easily shock.
    In today's standard it isn't shocking what the rebels of your youth did. And I'm glad and thankful to live in this generation that was shaped by the generation before me.

Edit: Deleted something that could be offensive

• @MementoMori

In general this "first generation" did a lot of experiments.It was not only because the electric guitar was "young"..they had also open minds and were open to all music from all around the world.They knew very well that "rockmusic" at its beginning was just a mix of irish and african folk and that there are many other combinations out there to discover.This is something I miss since the 90s and more so today.During the last time I did some research for todays rock guitarists who do some "experimental stuff" and all I found was a guitar hero from the "deepest 80s" who mixes rockstuff with japanese music..yes I am talking about Marty Friedman.

Back to our "marketing"-issue..imagine rock music of the future with much more influences/sounds,scales,modes and a music instrument market which requires much more sounds than just "electric guitar clean/crunch/distortion"..maybe a overdriven Sitar;And a "downtuned oud"; <X

We just dont know.Since there is nobody doing this who gets the "marketing" of the industry..but for me personaly this is where I see the "future" far away from the old stereotypes and cliches of the "rock guitar player" o the last decades with his major/minor/pentatonic-boredom.

@MonkeyPeanutButter

I honestly hope you are right with what you say and that these racist extremists everywhere in europe dont get more and more influence during the very next years.I honestly do.But as social inequality rises so will these people gain votes and souls.IMO young lads everywhere have much more reason to "rebel" today against all this madness than any other postwar generation before yours.But this is ofcourse just my opinion.And other than that totally OT.

• It's not that people aren't experimenting, they absolutely are. I used to be in a band with a girl who played an electric flying-v violin using distortion effects and sounded pretty neat. But for most people it was either treated as a gimmick or too "out there". And if enough people aren't endorsing such experimentation, marketing won't be so eager, either.

I also don't think that peoples perspective were "more open" ages ago. The same person who made the "Beethoven" remark also bemoaned that too many people were trying to combine too many forms of music together to be original. Some see people trying too much, others claim nobody is trying anymore... I guess it depends what you've been exposed to.

It seems apparent that the proven "marketing" of the industry is the thing you don't like: living off old flavors. But I'd advise that just because Marshall clings to Slash doesn't mean that original musicianship is dead. Hell, Marshall is a company that itself lives on its past, so what would one expect them to market? I wouldn't get too cynical about it.