KPA = old tech?

• We have not very much information about the technical part of the KPA:
    DSP power
    Memory (not even how many rigs we can store)
    Used AD and DA converters

It's interesting that in the AxeFx forum is a discussion about all this - with some 'answers':
    1) It's a low performance DSP
    2) The cabinet modeling has no nonlinear or dynamics processing
    3) The cabinet has only 256 point IR's (compare 2048 in the AxeFx)
    4) Modeling is only a basic EQ - waveshaper - EQ

Is this true?
    I don't know - yet

Do I care?
    My tube amps are all old tech - but sound great.

And whatever is inside of the KPA - the sound results (amp and speaker simulation) sound by far better than any other digital box - maybe my ears are also old tech - but the KPA sounds much closer to all my tube amps.

Update (2012/2/4):
    -------------------------
    #1) --> Not true - > It's a current dual core DSP
    source (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C30GRsANwqg 8:50)

#2) ???

#3) --> Not true - check page8 (Amp & Cabinet works without any IR's)

#4) --> Not true - check Kemper FAQ / manual

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

Edited 4 times, last by Armin ().

• btw. I just posted this final comment after one month of comparing the AxeFx II, VB101 and KPA in the 'G3' thread in the AxeFx forum:

"One month later ....
    AxeFx II and the Torpedo VB101 are sold.
    I profiled some of my tube amps and got never anything remotely close from any other digital box.
    Spend much more time playing then tweaking now - ok, and some time profiling....
    Miss some of the great AxeFx effects - and look forward to AxeFx III :-)"

The thread was deleted a few minutes afterwards ...

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• I don't know if that information coming from Fractal Audio owner is true or not but I would like the people at Kemper to clarify if this is correct or not. Maybe I am wrong but by reading those comments I notice an attempt to demean the KPA.

Anyway, personally I would like to know from Kemper (not a competitor) if the KPA is using IRs for the cabinets and how long they are.

• Many users over at the AxeFX forum use the motto of "using your ears" and I agree with this. I think it's crazy to dismiss a product based on its specs alone. I agree that the Kemper is a great sounding unit. If it does use 256 point IRs then there is potential to make it even better :)

Spence

• The Axe-fx forum is a place I stay away from. Total censorship ruled by a bunch of snobs and a lot of mindless followers! I love how Cliff is the first to bash products by competitors on threads at TGP forum just based on specs alone (if a new product has a less state-of-the-art DSP than the AxeFx). Ever seen the movie "Bowfinger" where they have that "mindhead" organization? That's like Fractal Audio. :D

• The Axe-fx forum is a place I stay away from. Total censorship ruled by a bunch of snobs and a lot of mindless followers! I love how Cliff is the first to bash products by competitors on threads at TGP forum just based on specs alone (if a new product has a less state-of-the-art DSP than the AxeFx). Ever seen the movie "Bowfinger" where they have that "mindhead" organization? That's like Fractal Audio. :D

The Axe-fx forum is like any other product forum. It is not better or worse. The problem is not the forum but a part of the people on the forums that just because they own the product they cannot accept that anything else is better or that the product they own is not perfect. Give it time and if the KPA succeeds it will happen the same thing here.

As for bashing the competitor products the only safe way of doing it is using the specs and just based on that I don't think any other product will come close to the Axe Fx II. Having the best specs does not produce better results by default though since it is more important how you use what you have.

• ....really?!? Things are getting a bit out of control....IMHO

Edit: this comment is to the second post of the OP

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

This is the truth, but they can't see it, they ARE a bunch of brainwashed clan members, it's pathetic.

lol, the hilarious part of it all is that every guitarist who has owned both the Axe-FX11 and Kemper has sold the Axe-FX11, clearly the fidelity quality of the Kemper is far greater than the Axe-FX11...perhaps Cliff should try figure out where he went wrong, he abandoned the wrong ship. :D

• This is the truth, but they can't see it, they ARE a bunch of brainwashed clan members, it's pathetic.

lol, the hilarious part of it all is that every guitarist who has owned both the Axe-FX11 and Kemper has sold the Axe-FX11, clearly the fidelity quality of the Kemper is far greater than the Axe-FX11...perhaps Cliff should try figure out where he went wrong, he abandoned the wrong ship. :D

Not everybody has sold it. If you don't want to make this forum the same as the other forums it is better not to start making comments like that.

Anyway, please Kemper people inform us!!!!

• Not everybody has sold it. If you don't want to make this forum the same as the other forums it is better not to start making comments like that.

Anyway, please Kemper people inform us!!!!

Please don't tell me what to say and what not to say...thanks.

• Cool down folks, we are here to discuss about the KPA, let's please not start again all this vs. crap

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I had a axefx Ultra when it was first released and sold it 2 months after I took delivery. It had great on board effects, but the core amp sounds were crap in my opinion.....and that's all I want really, life-like core amp sounds that sound like the realworld amps. All the other effects crap that is in the axefx is great for showing-off the unit, but when did you last do a gig where you used all that crap....

• (if a new product has a less state-of-the-art DSP than the AxeFx)

The Axe-FX doesn't have a state of the art DSP too. Texas Instruments realeased some new DSPs (e.g. the TMS320C6671 which is 2-3 times faster then the TigerSHARC, but that is only a single core, there are faster DSPs than that one from TI... and btw... that DSP is 79$ vs 200++$ for the TigerSHARC... so,... Axe-FX III for 1000$... anyone? :D ). But who cares?

Besides that: I don't care which DSP is calculating my tone... I do care if it sounds good. To my ears the KPA sounds "better" than the Axe II,...

AND:
    Slower/older DSP = old
    old = vintage.
    Vintage = f*** great sound
    --> slower/older DSP = better sound.

q.e.d.

:D:D:D

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

Edited once, last by mDan ().

• Daniel

Excuse my ignorance, I have no idea how DSP, coding, algorithms, etc, etc, work....thus my questions.

1) Depending on how 'smart' you are, you can write code and algorithms in a complicated way, or a simpler way, both leading to the same end result...correct?
    In fact, the simpler/smarter way can lead to a better end result...correct?

2) The more complicated the code/algorithm the more powerful the DSP needs to be...correct?

3) Complicated FX take up a lot of the DSP power...correct?

• The Axe-fx forum is like any other product forum. It is not better or worse.

That's where you're wrong my friend! The Axe-FX forum is far worse than any other guitar product forum. I take it you have not been around the block much?

The problem is not the forum but a part of the people on the forums that just because they own the product they cannot accept that anything else is better or that the product they own is not perfect.

Yes, that's what I've been saying. The problem is that they invested a fortune in the fact that the product is state of the art in every aspect. So naturally, there can be nothing else out there that is better. ;)

Give it time and if the KPA succeeds it will happen the same thing here.

That's bull! We don't have the censorship going on like over the Axe Forum. I have read threads over there that got deleted, just because users were stating their opinion. People have been banned because they dared to express their feelings about what is/was not perfect about the Axe. And I remember a post by Cliff calling his customers "indignant whiners". :thumbdown:

• That's where you're wrong my friend! The Axe-FX forum is far worse than any other guitar product forum. I take it you have not been around the block much?

Yes, that's what I've been saying. The problem is that they invested a fortune in the fact that the product is state of the art in every aspect. So naturally, there can be nothing else out there that is better. ;)

That's bull! We don't have the censorship going on like over the Axe Forum. I have read threads over there that got deleted, just because users were stating their opinion. People have been banned because they dared to express their feelings about what is/was not perfect about the Axe. And I remember a post by Cliff calling his customers "indignant whiners". :thumbdown:

+ 1

• 1) Depending on how 'smart' you are, you can write code and algorithms in a complicated way, or a simpler way, both leading to the same end result...correct?
    In fact, the simpler/smarter way can lead to a better end result...correct?

2) The more complicated the code/algorithm the more powerful the DSP needs to be...correct?

3) Complicated FX take up a lot of the DSP power...correct?

1) Yes. But in general more complex alorithms lead to better results. But they don't HAVE to. In fact... the Axe II has to model much more then the KPA because it models EVERY single component in an amp, the Kemper "only" models the sound.

2) yes. 3) depends on what you understand on "complicated" :)

reznor: Agree :thumbup:

And I agree... people on the Fractal forum are very enthusiastic about the Axe-FX... but wait....
    ... people on the Kemper Forum... are enthusiastic about the KPA... I think that's just normal :)

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar