KPA = old tech?

• I haven't. These kinds of over-the-top statements do not benefit Kemper, imho... The KPA is an amazing box of tech, but it still has competition, and that's a *good* thing. Nothing personal Lance - I just think this approach is counterproductive.

The intention of the statement "KPA = Old Tech" on the Fractal Forum was specifically meant to be counterproductive to Kemper sales.
    To make sure their plan didn't work, I decided to be anti counterproductive with an over the top statement.

• Why does everybody whine about profiles of other modellers but want a IR/KPACab conversion tool?
    Why not just profile an IR?

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Why does everybody whine about profiles of other modellers but want a IR/KPACab conversion tool?

Exactly... Just use a DI BOX and put your power amp´s signal into your DAW and add your favourite IRs. I created some profiles of my JVM plus a variety of Red Wirez IRs this way. Sounded good but i still liked the normal cabs better.

• Exactly... Just use a DI BOX and put your power amp´s signal into your DAW and add your favourite IRs. I created some profiles of my JVM plus a variety of Red Wirez IRs this way. Sounded good but i still liked the normal cabs better.

Just to clarify for anyone reading this, make sure that DI Box is a load box. You run a high risk of damaging your gear if you run a speaker out into anything other than a speaker cab or a proper load box.

IRs have become a sort of standard format for capturing cabs and they are used by many different plugins and modellers. Having a simple tool to convert IR files to KPA cabs will extend greatly the tonal possibilities for the KPA users. It would also simplify a lot the creation (and conversion) of commercial cab libraries for the KPA. At the end is just more options for us so I don't understand why someone could be opposed to this. Nobody would force you to use the tool anyway.

Exactly... Just use a DI BOX and put your power amp´s signal into your DAW and add your favourite IRs. I created some profiles of my JVM plus a variety of Red Wirez IRs this way. Sounded good but i still liked the normal cabs better.

Doing it that way the results will not be very accurate and the process is too slow if you want to convert a lot of IRs.

• To create profiles of cabs I recommend to use a linear solid state power amp - the cab profiles will be much better without the additional amp coloring.

But the best is to profile the amp and matching cab at the same time.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• The KPA has it's own standards of operation - they alone can determine what can or cannot be done within it's confines. I say 'take it to the limit', because that's what us creative types do! 8)

All modelers known to man 8o

Edited once, last by Radley ().

• I never really understood what the 'Axe-FX forum has to do with the Kemper Forum.

Quote '

It's interesting that in the AxeFx forum is a discussion about all this - with some 'answers':

Type of thing.

Honestly, I personally don't give a monkeys what other people think about the Kemper on some other forum. Of course they rip Kemper apart on that forum. That's simply the way they are over there. They would do that to anything that's better (or should I say threatens them in any way) and the kemper amp is absolutely no exception.

Don't bother trying to convince me otherwise and please... I really don't want anyone trying to convert me in to an axe-fx fanboy.

The fact is that Kemper know what's in the Kemper Amp and exactly how it's made, whether Kemper tell you is a matter for Christoph and his team. Competitors forums are exactly that.... competitors, and I suspect that Kemper simply is not in the business of telling competitors anything.

Simple business fact. ;)

And of course, it does not MATTER whats inside as long as it does the job - especially when it does as good a job that the Kemper Amp does.

Careful I'm watching you...

• I would only say this: The KPA is a great piece of gear with excellent sounds, and the Axe-FX II is also a great piece with very different, but also excellent sounds plus the extensive effects. Each unit has it's own unique signature of tone, regardless of what amp is being modeled (sorry, but neither the KPA nor the AXE-FX are neutral sounding devices). Here in America, we believe fair competition serves the customer best, and I believe this particular competition will only make future products better from all competing companies in the fray!

• Then we agree to disagree - I own both units and compare them often. This was not a dig at either platform, but a simple statement of fact according to my ears.

• Then we agree to disagree - I own both units and compare them often. This was not a dig at either platform, but a simple statement of fact according to my ears.

Then you should check your methodology for creating profiles. If you hear a unique signature of tone on the KPA in your profiles it must be due to something you are not doing right. Maybe you signal chain when doing profiles is introducing that signature tone you are referring to. If you are sure it is not that you may share a few clips where you demonstrate this comparing the profiles with the real amps.

I have owned the Axe FX II for a year as well and the KPA since January. I did not compare them with each other often but instead with the real amps profiled/modeled because that's what it matters.

• Then you should check your methodology for creating profiles. If you hear a unique signature of tone on the KPA in your profiles it must be due to something you are not doing right. Maybe you signal chain when doing profiles is introducing that signature tone you are referring to. If you are sure it is not that you may share a few clips where you demonstrate this comparing the profiles with the real amps.

I have owned the Axe FX II for a year as well and the KPA since January. I did not compare them with each other often but instead with the real amps profiled/modeled because that's what it matters.

MadH,

I have no quarrels with you or anyone else here. In my own personal profiling (which I have done over 150 times at this point), I have noticed that the KPA usually imparts a bit of it's own DNA when I compare the final results - this is not a problem for me because I almost always like the final result once I've tweaked it to my personal preferences. (I am referring to the basic nature of the distortion, as opposed to EQ or Cab matching issues). But I would disagree with anyone who says that the KPA is a totally transparent, tonally neutral sound generation device - and WHO CARES, as long as the tones are usable and pleasant to the ear - I was just making what I felt was an obvious comment about the current state of all the modelers I have tried to date...

• MadH,

I have no quarrels with you or anyone else here. In my own personal profiling (which I have done over 150 times at this point), I have noticed that the KPA usually imparts a bit of it's own DNA when I compare the final results - this is not a problem for me because I almost always like the final result once I've tweaked it to my personal preferences. (I am referring to the basic nature of the distortion, as opposed to EQ or Cab matching issues). But I would disagree with anyone who says that the KPA is a totally transparent, tonally neutral sound generation device - and WHO CARES, as long as the tones are usable and pleasant to the ear - I was just making what I felt was an obvious comment about the current state of all the modelers I have tried to date...

Lot's of truth here, but.

The pickups in your guitars are microphones.
    There's more of a signature tone in the guitars/pickups you/we use than anything else.
    No doubt about it our ears get used to our guitars, then we plug our guitars into an amp or a modeller and impart our signature tone into that amp/modeller.

Try 3 completely different guitars that aren't your guitars, suddenly your amps and modellers sound different, distortion sounds/feels different, EQ is completely different, even the speakers sound different...all because of the guitar and pickups being used.
    A Marshall and a Fender most definitely have a signature tone, but plug the Fender into the Marshall cab and the Marshall into a Fender cab, set both amps up clean, and the signature starts fading away.
    Then plug a distortion pedal into both those amps and their signature tone almost disappears.
    I watched a dude gigging the other night, MI Audio Crunch Box into a Fender HRD...I could have sworn he was playing a Marshall.

So, if the KPA and Axe-FX have a signature tone, let's say a 10% signature tone, we're doing well because there's a whole lot of other variables happening in that other 90%.

Too early in the morning to post, I might be talking complete nonsense. :D

• I would also add that my Gibson Lancer amp profile (which many people here have liked and used) did not sound exactly like my original Lancer amp during the profiling session, and yet it sounds very good and usable for a huge number of sounds... But I was there, and I know the distortion character was not perfectly matched. Do I care? Not to a significant degree, because the my personal Lancer model sounds great - that is much more important than sounding exactly like the original amp, no?

I have always been more interested in 'great' sounds than 'authentically copied' sounds, and I am very happy with the new sounds I'm getting from my KPA!

• I would also add that my Gibson Lancer amp profile (which many people here have liked and used) did not sound exactly like my original Lancer amp during the profiling session, and yet it sounds very good and usable for a huge number of sounds... But I was there, and I know the distortion character was not perfectly matched. Do I care? Not to a significant degree, because the my personal Lancer model sounds great - that is much more important than sounding exactly like the original amp, no?

I have always been more interested in 'great' sounds than 'authentically copied' sounds, and I am very happy with the new sounds I'm getting from my KPA!

Absolutely, I agree 100%.

In fact you took the words out of my mouth, in my follow up post I had planned to use your Lancer as an example.
    I have no idea what it sounds like in your room, but I took it and experimented with various cabs/mics and ended up with the most unique cool sounding hybrid amp imaginable...it has a distortion characteristic all of it's own...extreme fun to play.