TMS Profiles

• @mickrich - thanks for your work on these profiles. I am late to the party on these but I like what I'm hearing.

Just on ribbons - frequency balance for dynamics and ribbons particularly is strongly influenced by the "proximity effect" - eg put many mics straight in front of your mouth and a few millimeters away --> you get loads of extra bass and come across like Darth Vader. As you back it away, the bass boost is attenuated and you get a more balanced sound. Of course your mic pre or mixer channel may offer bass rolloff or other Eq options.

Same goes with speaker cabs, close micing with a ribbon or 57 will be much bassier than the sound a few more inches away. As you back further and further away - some of the Jazz oriented profiles on RE were done from 1.2 meters - it will get darker in most rooms as the balance between direct sound and reflected sound tilts toward the latter.

Close micing - right on the grille can be necessary for isolation - eg live on stage or in a studio with multiple musicians spilling onto your guitar mic - but in a situation where a guitar part is being recorded as an overdub or a solo track, the mics can be anywhere that sounds good - depends on the amp, room and what you're going for. The sound we all like from an album could have been obtained with no close mics at all. Eg - the recent discussion here on the guitar riff sound on the Money for Nothing session at AIR studios which was a complete accident - stray mics pointed at the floor etc. No engineers were involved ;)

• Thanks for the detailed comment.
    You know your stuff.
    I've been working in studios over 20 years and teach music tech too ;)
    I'm chasing perfection here so every little thing is making a difference.
    My first few packs will be more rock orientated so close mics will be the way to go for now.

I'm borrowing a old Fender Twin once I'm finished all my own amps so I will certainly be experimenting with more mics and room sound then

• Hell, I can barely keep up either (I hear you, @schreckmusic!).

I think this sounds great but opinions would be really appreciated.

Probably sucks, man. This game is not for you, Mick.

Not! :D

@mickrich Please if you can, launch your website and enable pre-ordering.

Only problem with that is it's not going to bring the release date forward one iota, Ant.

Also, you needn't worry 'cause the driving force behind pre-ordering is of course the fear of stock shortages due to popularity, something this new-fangled digital paradigm doesn't suffer from... unless Mick finds he can only afford to make a limited run of copies. :D

No point making a small impact. I want to hit like a hammer \m/

More like a wrecking ball, mate. It's coming, for sure.

I find the 421 to have a worse 5k fizz than most mics but it does have good low mid content.

100% agree, Mick.

Thank you for the last two additions, mate. Sorry I can't provide instant feedback, but others will surely comply.

• Farkin' EVH is still fizzy.
    Back to the drawing board again.
    Pretty sure it's master volume too high causing power amp overloading which is manifesting as a high mid resonant peak.
    Fresh start tomorrow =(
    6505 is so much easier to get a good sound with.

You have pm

• Just on fizz - not sure how loud you are driving the cabs but speakers themselves can be a source of artifacts - mechanical distortion. One way to keep your power tubes working is to drive more than one cab even if you only mic one.

• Farkin' EVH is still fizzy.
    Back to the drawing board again.
    Pretty sure it's master volume too high causing power amp overloading which is manifesting as a high mid resonant peak.
    Fresh start tomorrow =(
    6505 is so much easier to get a good sound with.

Whatever you did on Drive3 was pretty well balanced. 4 and 5 suffered the dreaded fizziness to varying degrees.

• Just on fizz - not sure how loud you are driving the cabs but speakers themselves can be a source of artifacts - mechanical distortion. One way to keep your power tubes working is to drive more than one cab even if you only mic one.

Nah. Plenty of headroom on the cabs.
    Was caused by too high master volume.
    Have it figured out now.
    I will run them again with master about 3.
    Testing confirmed a point at about 3.5 on the master where the sound starts to clip so below that it's great.
    Shame it took 2 wasted days to figure it out but it's all good in the end.
    Thanks

Whatever you did on Drive3 was pretty well balanced. 4 and 5 suffered the dreaded fizziness to varying degrees.

Thanks
    I pretty much hate the sound of all of them when I checked with fresh ears.
    Have it figured out now as above.

Great profile Mike!

Cool thanks.
    I thought you might like this one =]

I am very much a Jubilee guy (ain't I a happy one? :D ) but I prefer your SL5 rigs to the Jubilee ones, up till now at least. 

I profiled a Jubilee reissue through 7 cabs for a Jubilee pack.
    It does sound great but I really think they nailed the sound for the SL5.
    The only drawback is it's only 5 watts and not loud enough to gig with or jam with a band, but that's not an issue with the Kemper.
    I love this amp. Always a joy to play. The harmonics leap out of it, even at lower gains. Would love an fx loop though, also a no issue when using Kemper.

• Pretty sure the Kemper is not really capable of capturing the room sound and early reflections, so close mic'ing is the only way.

• I pretty much hate the sound of all of them when I checked with fresh ears.

I've had that happen so many times. Part of why I took my demo down is listening back to it and not digging it, and in part because I need to get this guitar set-up. Too much string buzz with the change of seasons.

Pretty sure the Kemper is not really capable of capturing the room sound and early reflections, so close mic'ing is the only way.

A coworker of mine has experimented with profiling and noticed a clear difference when he mic'd his cab and when he put reflectors around the mic. I'd say it does capture the room even if you have the mic jammed up to the speaker because the differences in his case were night and day (and the mic had not moved from the previous profile).

• I've had that happen so many times. Part of why I took my demo down is listening back to it and not digging it, and in part because I need to get this guitar set-up. Too much string buzz with the change of seasons.

A coworker of mine has experimented with profiling and noticed a clear difference when he mic'd his cab and when he put reflectors around the mic. I'd say it does capture the room even if you have the mic jammed up to the speaker because the differences in his case were night and day (and the mic had not moved from the previous profile).

I will check it out soon.
    It appears that the Kemper uses some form of dynamic convolution which is similar to an impulse response reverb (I may be completely wrong)
    So it should manage to get some room sound in there.
    I'm hoping to be able to get some "Crooked Vultures" sound in the room guitar tones.
    Don't have time to experiment at the moment.

Is that what you were hearing in my examples? Or this is something different?

Exactly what I was hearing. Fizzy resonant peak

• EVH problem was shitty factory power amp tubes.
    Swapped them out for a pair of Mesa 6L6s and the annoying peak has completely disappeared so I'm extremely happy.
    Here is an updated Drive 2TS Blue to check out.
    If you compare this to the previous one at the same settings I uploaded you will hear the peak is now gone \m/
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/twj7…4-27%2012-14-44.kipr?dl=0

Quick test in the mix. No EQ
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hias…_DEAD_LABEL_TEST.wav?dl=0