Output Always Stereo - Want Mono.

• Hi everyone,

I am using the Kemper more and more now and have started recording a band that has two guitarists.

We recorded a couple of songs and they went home... I tried to split the signal of their guitars to left and right but the output coming from the kemper was 'stereo' on both 'mono' inputs within Cubase.

I was unable to move the guitars anywhere from 'center'

I had them come back, we checked everything.

Mono channels in Cubase

Mono outputs set on Kemper.

Yet STILL we got a stereo output from the Kemper.

Changed to Monitor Out.

STILL a stereo signal from Kemper.

Whats going on here? I simply want mono sources that I can pan hard left and right for two different guitarists in a band. All I get are guitars STUCK to the center of the stereo field no matter what I do.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong.. Probably something dumb... But regardless I need help.

Thanks

Art

• As requested.

Not sure exactly what you want to see but here's a song we finished recently. In this instance its the same guitarist, different sounds that we wanted top pan left and right.

We were able to make that happen by 'monitoring' the input within Cubase and panning it as we recorded.

Surely this is NOT the way to do it? For instance, we want to use the direct monitoring that our Focusrite interface uses. HAVING to use 'monitor' just introduces latency that we dont want.

Anyway, here is the pic.

[Blocked Image: https://s2.postimg.org/60kqdzuvt/Kemper_Help.jpg]

• Err.. Sorry getting confused now.

I was asked to show the channel... And I did that.

All inputs from the Focusrite are connected, I am just 'showing' whats connected to try and solve my problem.

Yes, when I create a channel in Cubase it is Mono, it is plugged into the front of my focusrite on Channel 5 (in this instance)

These channels work perfectly for everything else BUT the Kemper. We can not get a mono source through the same channels (that normally work perfectly in mono) with the kemper plugged in.

As I Say I'm sure we are doing something wrong but unsure what.

Obviously we need help, I hope this is enough.

Thanks

Art

• Hi again, thanks for the input everyone.

Paults, I said in my original post we have tried the Mono Out, and i was as surprised as you will probably be to learn that we STILL got a stereo signal from the Kemper..

I know, I know.. i understand, it's 'impossible' right? Well, unfortunately it's not. I checked the settings I changed the output to 'Mono Out' on the Kemper etc.

The track records, the track it records onto is MONO, the input is set to MONO, the Kemper is MONO out... Yet the guitar image will NOT move with the pan control in Cubase.

I had no idea, absolutely no clue as to why this is happening, thats why I came here..

So please guys.. Whats next?

Thanks,

Art

• As I said earlier, this is not a kemper issue but a cubase/setup issue.

Any cubase users listening in?

Do you have any plugins on that track? If so, remove them. In logic, I can copy a stereo plugin to a mono channel, which makes it a stereo channel from that point on.

• This is a bit weird, I'm not sure how you're getting just a stereo signal even with a single output. Just to check, you have gone to the output section of the Kemper and manually switched the outputs to a mono signal?

I use Cubase, and haven't run into this problem before. It seems to me you are recording a stereo signal. If you do that, you will see two audio streams on a single track in Cubase. And if you record a mono stream, it will show up as a single audio stream in Cubase.

From what I could make out from your Cubase screen grab, those are all mono signals, not stereo. So something else is going on here.

• This is definitely a routing problem, either within the cubase VST connections or from the audiointerface driver input/ouput matrix.

If your interface has SPDIF i strongly suggest to use it. Configure the KPA SPDIF output to "guitar/ mod mono". In Cubase, create a stereo input bus with SPDIF left and right. Always record 2 mono tracks, one with SPDIF left as input and one with SPDIF right. This will allow you to record the DI track and the mono KPA output without reverb and delay. Recording the DI track will allow you to use the KPA´s lossless digital reamping over SPDIF, which is like the best thing ever...

• If you record mono on to a mono track, there shouldn’t be a problem. There’s something wrong in the way you are connecting your profiler (are you using analogue or spdif?), or there’s something wrong in your Logic routing, or there’s something wrong in your interface routing. Recording one mono track via one of the analogue outputs as a test will tell you if the problem is with the profiler set up and routing or not, then you can move on.