Kemper + UAD Apollo Twin (USB) Interface for recording - signal is overdriving

• Hi All,
    since I'm a Kemper user for a while now, I wanna also start to use it for recording stuff. I've an apollo Twin USB audiointerface. When I connect my Kemper (main outputs via XLR into Apollo, the sound is just clipping, even if reducing input gain to min. What do I do wrong here? There is a optical SPDIF/ADAT input on my Apollo as well. Kemper has SPDIF in/out. Would it work just to connect Kemper SPDIF out to Apollo SPDIF in? What kind of cable to I need? One side optical plug, other side SPDIF plug?

sorry for this trivial question, but never tried this, more familiar with "old school" way.

• There are interfaces which are activating mic preamps automatically when a XLR connection is used. This can cause clipping. Try connecting the KPA via TS or TRS and see/hear what's happening.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Hi All,
    since I'm a Kemper user for a while now, I wanna also start to use it for recording stuff. I've an apollo Twin USB audiointerface. When I connect my Kemper (main outputs via XLR into Apollo, the sound is just clipping, even if reducing input gain to min. What do I do wrong here? There is a optical SPDIF/ADAT input on my Apollo as well. Kemper has SPDIF in/out. Would it work just to connect Kemper SPDIF out to Apollo SPDIF in? What kind of cable to I need? One side optical plug, other side SPDIF plug?

sorry for this trivial question, but never tried this, more familiar with "old school" way.

Hi. Use a TRS cable at the input of the Apollo so the input is used as a line in and not a mic preamp.

Yo can use spdif using a SPDIF coaxial to optical converter. I bought a really cheap one and it works perfectly.

Saludos!

• You can disable the Apollos preamps and set them to line in's from the Console app with a pad, then on the Kempers' own output section you can simply lower the volume.

Just out of curiosity, the Master LED on the front of your Kemper isn't showing any clipping right?

I've run my KPA directly both ways into my Apollo without any problem so you shouldn't need any additional cables or doodads. Just be sure you're not using the monitor outs from a powered kemper just the main (non-poweramp driven) outs.

• From the Apollo's manual:

When connecting via XLR you will always need to set the corresponding Apollo input to "MIC". When a particular input on an Apollo interface is set to MIC the Apollo takes signal from the XLR connection corresponding to that channel. If you have your input set to MIC but are connecting via 1/4" TRS, or if you have your input set to LINE but are connecting via XLR, that would cause no input to show on the Apollo.

Just buy a XLR to TRS cable.

• From the Apollo's manual:

When connecting via XLR you will always need to set the corresponding Apollo input to "MIC". When a particular input on an Apollo interface is set to MIC the Apollo takes signal from the XLR connection corresponding to that channel. If you have your input set to MIC but are connecting via 1/4" TRS, or if you have your input set to LINE but are connecting via XLR, that would cause no input to show on the Apollo.

Just buy a XLR to TRS cable.

Ha! I never thought about that and it makes total sense! I just bought XLR>TRS cables to output the Kemper into the Apollo!

Cheers,
    Raf.