Well...Finally got a Kemper after months of research..And...Not so good

• If you end up not being able to get a sound you like, maybe you'll have a better time with an AxeFX or Ax8 with a power amp. Just a thought, if you haven't tried that already in the past.

• Have only tried it thru my cabinet at home so far. I have not had a FRFR monitor as of yet. I do have a Xitone MBritt on the way. I have not tried it live yet as I would not have any confidence in playing out with what I am getting from it so far thru the cab. FOH I am sure would sound fine, but my playing would be not up to par as it feels way different under the fingers to play and I have not found any type of drive profiles that sound very good thru the cabinet. Still could be my settings or something I am missing, but I am reading thru the manual trying to figure out what I may have set incorrectly.

Been borrowing tube amps right now for gigging since I do not have any physical amps right now. Borrowed a Bogner Helios 50 the other night. What an excellent amp, but with a lot of limitations as far as channel switching etc. Had to use a lot of volume knob for cleans as it is a very straight forward amp. But what a hot rodded plexi sound. When playing a wide variety and styles of music it is not really a very versatile amp for the situation, but I made due with it.

• If your goal is to sound exactly like a tube amp there's a solution for that. Just use an amp and be happy with it. The KPA doesn't sound exactly like a tube amp.

Your Line 6 comments made me seriously doubt your ears and wonder if you were just taking the piss. I've got one you can have for $200 plus shipping.

• Sometimes after playing an amp for so long, you get used to a sound. Nothing wrong with that.
    Your friend has the Line6 amp you like, so why not profile it with the Kemper? That will give you time to find other profiles you like, and still enjoy the amp sound you are familiar with. That’s the beauty of the Kemper.

• Yea. The Kemper won’t sound like a tube amp through a cab. It’s an option for you, but ultimately that’s a secondary/or third function.

Profile an amp, you’ll see what it’s best at. If you get a profile you like and like how it sounds through a PA that’s what it’s for. As I said before, I need a real amp behind me. I just prefer it.

It’s an amazing recording device for me.

• Sometimes after playing an amp for so long, you get used to a sound. Nothing wrong with that.
    Your friend has the Line6 amp you like, so why not profile it with the Kemper? That will give you time to find other profiles you like, and still enjoy the amp sound you are familiar with. That’s the beauty of the Kemper.

Won’t it still sound like the miked sound of that amp, not the live sound? As with lots of new Kemper users (including me), I believe this is part of the issue.

• Hey Tonester! I also live in the Nashville area, if you'd like to meet up sometime I'd be more than happy to go over your Kemper and mine and see if they line up. I got a grip of tricks that might help as well. I use a guitar cab and a PA , to me that's the best but not always possible or practical. Let me know! Cheers :D

• Hey Awesome Elvis..
    I may take you up on that. Got a busy schedule thru the weekend here with the holidays, but it would definitely help to see how somebody with some time with the Kemper has things set up.

• With regards to a di profile. That may be the closest solution for the cabinet on stage...

What then happens with the mains going to front of house? Does the DI signal then get paired with a cabinet ir for those outputs or would you have to use a merged file to feed a guitar cabinet on stage direct and then send the merged signal front of house.

Thanks

• With regards to a di profile. That may be the closest solution for the cabinet on stage...

What then happens with the mains going to front of house? Does the DI signal then get paired with a cabinet ir for those outputs or would you have to use a merged file to feed a guitar cabinet on stage direct and then send the merged signal front of house.

Thanks

Merged profiles are probably your solution.

• Yes, the merged and direct profiles are really the only ‘partial’ solution, in my opinion, when using a guitar cabinet…
    But there is absolutely no replacement for the immediacy and attack and feel of a real tube amplifier, through a guitar cabinet, again, in my opinion

• Stop being so egoistic ... using the KPA and the thousands of profiles in Rig Exchange it is possible to build a sound which dominates FoH and is nearly there for Monitor / IEM.

To mic an amp in 3secs fitting to the venue you either are a very lucky guy or you are not doing it the proper way.

• Well, if you say such things here they will call you an egoist while they question your abilities and experience. They’ll also question your ear despite many here not being able to hear the difference between Kemper & amp.

I agree that a powered KPA through a cab just isn’t going to give you what you’d get with a proper head. It wasn’t really made for that purpose, more trying to accommodate those who wanted a built in power amp. You’re probably going to find better success with the Xitone, especially since it’s a coaxial design which responds much more cab-like than boxy PA speakers. You’re still getting a mic’d guitar tone so I wouldn’t expect the tube/cab in-the-room, pants-flapping experience. Still, very convenient and useful.

And you could profile the Line 6, but at that point you may as well just get a Line 6. Never made sense to me for people to suggest profiling other modelers instead of just getting the modeler if you prefer it. Also, I used a POD 2.0 for years at home before getting a KPA and modeling hasn’t quite made the gigantic leap they think it has. I still get compliments on my old recording tones from my POD, mostly from people who don’t know or can’t tell. Anderson’s made a pretty cool video not that long ago where the little red kidney bean was pretty impressive next to the KPA and Ampli-fire. More or less the KPA’s methodology is unique and streamlined which separates it much more. Also more versatility, which you expect over a product that old.

Anyway, what tones are you after? I have had my frustrations with the KPA but would be willing to share the profiles I often look to if it helps.

• Well, if you say such things here they will call you an egoist while they question your abilities and experience. They’ll also question your ear despite many here not being able to hear the difference between Kemper & amp.

No need to be passive aggressive and exaggerate again, using all us thousands of kemper/forum users as "them" when you refer to a small handful of users. Nothing constructive comes from doing that, it only brings polarizing negativity.
    There is a red thread in many of your posts about previous beefs with a few users or moderators doing their job to those who repeatedly have violated forum rules. Just let it go and don't keep bringing that to new threads.