First Time Profiling Issue

• I’m trying to crested a profile for my Carol-Ann Tucana 3 amp. I have a Kemper DI box setup and a 1x12 cabinet with an SM57 Beta mic. I’m trying to do a clean profile using the amp’s clean channel. When I play the amp directly, it sounds nice and clean. When I try profiling it, either with the DI or with Mic/Cab, the profiler says it is a distorted amp. I listened closely and when I listen to it running through the Kemper on the profile setup I can hear some slight distortion, like the input is clipping. This amp has an input level, and not matter how low or high I set that it still clips. I also checked the amp output and this didn’t help either. I’ve checked the Output settings and I’ve got all of those levels backed off nearly completely. I’m not sure what else to try. I saw on another thread to use th Pad feature, it I don’t see Pad in any menu options.

Thank you in advance for anything that may be able to help. Thank you!

• Turn the chicken head to the PROFILER position. At this point, you will still hear the previously selected Rig.Use the soft buttons to switch between the reference amp and the Profile.

Set “Return level” (soft knob 4 on the KPA) so that the level of the reference amp roughly equals the level of the internal sound of the reference Rig.

You can check level differences by switching back and forth between the current Rig and your amp. If the OUTPUT LED turns red when you play your reference amplifier, the level is too hot.

• Good to go on all these points when I did it. I even tried turning the return level way down. I think the send signal is too hot. I started with an AC30 clean profile with zero gain in browse and then switched to profile and went through the process. I’ll have to try it again from scratch and see. I appreciate the response.

• I just set everything back up and verified it is definitely the send from the profiler to the amp's input is too hot and I can't see anywhere to lower that send value. I went to the system output settings and everything is at - (infinity) and the Rig Volume is all the way down. When I plug the guitar straight into the amp I'm profiling ,it is clean and glorious. When through the Kemper using the Send/Direct Out for Profiler mode, it is clipping. Stumped.

• I figured out a way to externally lower the send from the Profiler to my amp's input. I have a Boss LS-2 Line Selector pedal. I lets me adjust the output level going to each send, so I lowered it about 1/3 of the send's unity and it is no longer clipping the amp's input. Now to see if the Profiler will recognize it as a clean amp...

• Hi Scott,

I actually have the same thing. I'm trying to profile a clean amp. When playing it and referencing it, it's quite clean, maybe a littlebit of distortion. After profiling, it's quite crunchy, he detects about 11 'o clock of gain, I have to roll the gain down to about 8 'o clock (2 leds) to get the similar amount of gain I had before.

Would be nice to know if I could indeed adjust the send level in the Kemper. The signal's just way harder than any guitar ... that seems odd to me.

best, Sanne

• I never figured out or heard how to change the send level of the profiler during profiling. I had to use an A/B pedal that let me cleanly attenuate the signal down to about 30-40% of the original signal to get a good clean profile.

• Ok Thanks... that's weird though.. it seems quite a basic problem, if you drive the amp much harder than any guitar, You get distortion. But at least there's a work-around... thanks! Which A/B pedal did you use by the way?

Oh never mind.. the Boss LS-2 Line Selector pedal I see above. Thanks for sharing.

Sanne

Edited once, last by sanneman: overlooked something ().