Cab light on or off through a guitar cab?

• I know this question has been asked a million times. But I use my Kemper Power Rack into a 2x12 guitar cab. I have the Cab button turned off because it sounds best that way.

But I'll be playing a show next month and plan to use the Kemper live for the first time. I want to make sure I have it set up right for live use.

I've read in the manual and various posts that the best thing to do is to leave the cab light on and disable the monitor cab in the output menu? That way you still get the cab sims through FOH. I tried that but it doesn't turn off the cab sim through the cab. I can still hear the coloration and the cab EQ adjustments work. It seems the only way I can get a 100% uncolored sound through my cab is to actually turn the Cab button off. What am I missing here? Thanks!

• First, I strongly suggest you try your profiles through an FRFR cab before going straight FOH. Some profiles sound great through cabs and pants via FRFR.

Sounds like a problem with the outputs you are using..What outputs are you using, is it powered or unpowered unit?

For going through a cab, switch cab sim/monitor off, but you can leave it on if you think it sounds better, the difference is minimal but you should notice. You then still take an output ( via main) to FOH and cab will be intact. also check your output level, most people reduce it to around -12/18 db as the signal is quite hot..

Best to test this out prior to a gig as you don;t want to be messing around at sound check...

• It's a powered Kemper. I run from the speaker output straight into the cab. I just wasn't clear on whether I should have the Cab light on or off when using the Kemper this way. It sounds better with it off but I'm unclear as to whether the cab sims would still be active on the monitor output if I was to send it to FOH.

• So you should:

Switch sims off ( so tick the box). Sim will be off via speaker cable into cab.

Then take main out (XLR) to desk. Cab sim will remain on through this output.

Job done :)

• "Monitor Cab. Off" is the way to go.

The fact, that cabinet parameters still have an impact has to do with the way CabDriver works, if you are using Studio Profiles. Please check out what is written about CabDriver in the Reference Manual.

• "Monitor Cab. Off" is the way to go.

The fact, that cabinet parameters still have an impact has to do with the way CabDriver works, if you are using Studio Profiles. Please check out what is written about CabDriver in the Reference Manual.

It's this one right?

However, the signal from the MONITOR OUTPUT is processed according to the kind of Profile
    included in the Rig: for regular Studio Profiles, the CabDriver algorithm is activated, whereas Merged Profiles feed
    the direct amp sound to the MONITOR OUTPUT and built-in power amp.

How do the profiler know it's a Merged profile? Would love to know since it could potentially allow us to browse merged profiles only etc.

Thanks!

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• If you're looking in here Burkhard, my feature request wish is still that we could have a default cab set , maybe in Rig Manager even , for auditioning Direct profiles rather than having to select a CAB each time ( I know we can still LOCK etc....but its a bit of a pain )

• If you're looking in here Burkhard, my feature request wish is still that we could have a default cab set , maybe in Rig Manager even , for auditioning Direct profiles rather than having to select a CAB each time ( I know we can still LOCK etc....but its a bit of a pain )

I would take that one even further: default everything (stomps etc.) so if the rig doesn't have some defined you could have your favorites there instead.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• @'burkhard I know this is probably on your list ( hence the "yet") but this would help the uptake of merged profiles...would be great to see that.

Unfortunately it is a bit more complex as you could pick components of Direct, Studio Profiles, or Merged Profiles and combine these with other components e. g. Cabinet Presets based on impulse responses,...and you receive all kind of combinations of components of high precision and highest precision. How should we call those derived combinations? How much complexity do you want? I guess, we havn't finally made our mind how to deliver really meaningful information without making it too complicated so that it creates more confusion than enlightenment. Perhaps the most effective approach is, if users just trust their ears and stick to the sounds, they like most.

• Unfortunately it is a bit more complex as you could pick components of Direct, Studio Profiles, or Merged Profiles and combine these with other components e. g. Cabinet Presets based on impulse responses,...and you receive all kind of combinations of components of high precision and highest precision. How should we call those derived combinations? How much complexity do you want? I guess, we havn't finally made our mind how to deliver really meaningful information without making it too complicated so that it creates more confusion than enlightenment. Perhaps the most effective approach is, if users just trust their ears and stick to the sounds, they like most.

You speak much truth - how about a way to browse DI/DA amps then?

• Unfortunately it is a bit more complex as you could pick components of Direct, Studio Profiles, or Merged Profiles and combine these with other components e. g. Cabinet Presets based on impulse responses,...and you receive all kind of combinations of components of high precision and highest precision. How should we call those derived combinations? How much complexity do you want? I guess, we havn't finally made our mind how to deliver really meaningful information without making it too complicated so that it creates more confusion than enlightenment. Perhaps the most effective approach is, if users just trust their ears and stick to the sounds, they like most.

I can see that is a problem. I agree you do not want to complicate things further.

Not sure on the answer but its not currently obvious if a profile is a merged one, which would be useful to know ( although probably changes nothing settings wise).

Problem is, I don't trust my ears :)