Line vs. Instrument level

• Hi,

So the guy at Kemper told me to use two XLR's from the Main out of amp into the interface and select instrument level. Then some other folks have suggested selecting line level... What's the difference because switching between the two I don't hear a difference.

`Guy

• Instrument level signals live between mic and line level signals and have the most variation. You typically see this kind of signal come from an electric guitar or bass. A preamplifier is required to bring the signal up to line level. Line level signals are the highest level signals before amplification.

• It depends on your setup. If your interface is your standard $2-300 unit, then I would recommend going line level. That way you will minimize the interfaces preamps, typically the weak link in a budget system.

If you have some decent preamps, then go instrument level. I use an API 512c or a Heritage 73jr to get the best quality preamp signal as possible. Coming back in to my system I use S/PDIF to avoid any preamps, as well as the added D/A conversion.

But generally speaking, use line level. You're pushing more current that way, and it will be less noisy and not as prone to interference.

• The Profiler sends line level at its outputs. Therefore you should use line level inputs on your interface.
    The only exception is the direct out when used with the git/analog or git/processed output source. In those cases you should use the hi-z input of your interface.