Suggest audio interface for newbie

• I just got my kemper. I have a scarlett solo which I used previously with biasfx. I want to do reamping of guitars. Which interface would you recommend? I'm new to recording and dont need something fancy, but I want to buy an interface that I can grow with. Budget is decent, I'd go up to $900 but I dont want to buy more features than I need.
    Thanks

Edited once, last by Imprimus ().

• Welcome!! Glad you got the KPA with that to spend for an audio interface I think you'll be doing quite well. I wont' recommend since I'm using a Scarlett 18i20 and haven't had any problems worth mentioning so we'll let others chime in.

• Look for something with spdif.

You'll see a few posts down on the forum where I have a thread about reamping.
    I use the Apogee Duet - which is a fantastic interface if you don't need many ins/outs - it has phenomenal converters and decent pres built in.
    The problem is that it doesn't have spdif connections. Now - this isn't a deal breaker, but routing signal flow in their software has proven far from easy - in fact, I still haven't figured out how to use this for reamping yet.

Anything larger than the 2in/2out mini interface craze should support what you are trying to do.
    Consider how you want to record - do you want just the final tone, or do you plan on rigging up some effects and want your tracks separated out to make life easy when it comes to mixing?

Apogee, Universal Audio, and RME would be companies I would pay attention to.
    They will all have fantastic interfaces.

• Focusrite Claret 8pre USB
    Might seem too many inputs for your need but the smaller models of the Claret range don't have coaxial S/PDIF IO and you certainly want to benefit from S/PDIF, especially for reamping. And it's never a bad thing to have a few more inputs than you think you need now.

Focusrite Scarlet 18i20
    Very similar to the Scarlet, a bit cheaper with same IO options. Only downside imho is slightly less input gain on the mic preamps (only 50dB vs. 57dB on the Claret)

Steinberg UR824
    I wouldn't recommend this interface due to the lack of coaxial S/PDIF IO

MOTU
    I hate MOTU's software mixer with a passion, the CueMix FX that came with the Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid must be the worst software mixer ever produced, imho :D Newer models might have different software, no idea

Presonus Studio 1824
    Newer owned one, looks quite decent from the specs and has coaxial S/PDIF IO … no idea about the software mixer.

General remarks:
    I always recommend to buy an interface that has a few more analog inputs and outputs than you think you'll need. You will need them at some point. No matter if you'll get some outboard effects (vocal processor, effects units like Strymons or Eventide H9) or a keyboard or multiple microphones to record acoustic plus vocals or profile an amp. A few extra inputs / mic preamps come at a pretty low price. A decent interface with enough IOs will serve you for many years.

I know that e.g. RME (especially the Babyface Pro) is very popular but its IO count is ridiculous. This particular interface is a waste of money. I know what I'm talking about (I own an RME UFX+), decent RME interfaces (IO count, features) will cost you at least 2x or 3x the budget you have.

• I know that e.g. RME (especially the Babyface Pro) is very popular but its IO count is ridiculous. This particular interface is a waste of money.

I have a Babyface Pro and love it. It has ADAT Lightpipe I/O, so it's expandable to cover most home studio applications.

I actually "downgraded" from an RME Fireface 800. Before that I was running a Pro Tools HD Accel 3 System which had tons of I/O. If I was still recording bands I might not have reduced my I/O, but for my personal home studio the Babyface Pro is more than enough.

• MOTU
    I hate MOTU's software mixer with a passion, the CueMix FX that came with the Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid must be the worst software mixer ever produced, imho Newer models might have different software, no idea

That's the old one, Martin, and I agree. Also, your guess was right - they do have "newer software", and it's onboard of course so you can run it stand-alone. You can control it via tablet and 'phone too.

It's a totally-different ballgame now. The new AVB mixer and routing system is ridiculously-powerful. Analogue-modelled dynamics, EQ, 'verb, grouping and complex routing (if you so desire).

The range is the most-comprehensive I'm aware of too, and it has been for many years.

Driver support is unparalleled; even its oldest interfaces from the '90s, both audio and MIDI, are fully-supported.

@lightbox knows his $hit, IMHO

He wasn't quite up with the MOTU gear, Nick, but yeah, he's no slouch. 8o

• It's a totally-different ballgame now. The new AVB mixer and routing system is ridiculously-powerful.

Thanks for the quick update on MOTU :)

I have a Babyface Pro and love it. It has ADAT Lightpipe I/O, so it's expandable to cover most home studio applications.

I don't question RMEs general quality … how could I, while we use truckloads of RME gear at work and while I have a UFX+ in my home studio. :)
    But regarding the Babyface Pro, you kind of confirm what I wrote. Yes, it's expandable to some degree. But I'm not sure if I should recommend an interface that might need to get "expanded" by yet another piece of gear right from the beginning.
    Given the fact that it only has XLR Outs for studio monitors and a Headphones Out …. how are you going to reamp? You'll need 2 optical/coax converters (e.g. Lindy) with power supplies. Once you've done that, the expandability is gone since you use the ADATs as S/PDIF IO. On the other hand, if you want to expand with say an Octopre to add more analog IO … well, why should you get 2 pieces of gear if you can have all of this in one unit in the first place?
    My opinion on this is: "Buying too small makes you keep buying or looking for workarounds"

• I decided on the antelope discrete 4. I think it will have a bit better sound quality than focusrite and it has coax digital so I won't need an adapter in the signal chain.
    Guitar center has it with the basic fx. I've got an old guitar I can't sell, going to trade it and see if I can get 15% off.

• The new AVB mixer and routing system is ridiculously-powerful. Analogue-modelled dynamics, EQ, 'verb, grouping and complex routing (if you so desire).

I am going to chime in here. I had a couple of MOTU Travelers that, as Lightbox said, had some really poorly designed software. Having said that, I could not agree more with Monkey_Man about MOTU's AVB networking software suite. And the quality of the MOTU AVB hardware with the new ESS converters is top notch, too.

The software suite includes a decent mixer with plenty of aux and cue mixes. The mixer is well laid out and the hardware has enough onboard DSP to run some pretty nice plugins while you track. RTL during tracking is negligible even while running the MOTU effects on all of your tracks.

The AVB networking part of the software is where it really shines. MOTU's implementation of AVB is more expandable than any moderately priced range of interfaces.

You can set up global presets that creates a customized setup for many different applications. MOTU provides a group of 8 presets you can use as starting points. Of course you can save your own custom presets, too.

The MOTU Routing Grid is absolutely awesome. It lets you connect any audio stream from anywhere on the network to any input port.

I already own UA Apollo SF (1st gen) and an Apollo 8 (2nd gen) interfaces. I love the platform and believe you should look into it. But I am adding at least one and maybe two MOTU 828ES AVB interfaces to my studio. I absolutely love the routing grid. It will allow me to wire all of my studio gear on an almost permanent basis. And with the routing grid I can
    re-patch anything in software.

So, for example I can set up my Apollo as an effects box for my Kemper. With the AVB Routing Grid, making the connections is a snap. And I will save a preset for this application so I can instantly set up both devices to do it again.

Or I might load a Friedman amp sim on my Apollo and turn off the pre and power amp sections of the sim. That leaves the cabs available for use with a Direct Amp Profile loaded into my Kemper. With the Routing Grid, I can set this up once and save it as another preset.

With AVB you have total control over where your audio streams flow.

Note that I will connect the Apollos to the 828Es interfaces via ADAT. In my DAW, I will select the 828ES as my interface, not the Apollos. The Apollo's will appear in the routing grid as ADAT in/out and those inputs and outputs will show as ADAT tracks in my DAW.

• But I'm not sure if I should recommend an interface that might need to get "expanded" by yet another piece of gear right from the beginning.

I hear you and agree to a point. But for the typical bedroom setup you probably wouldn't need to expand at all. Sampled drums, virtual synths, and now the KPA reduce the I/O requirements in a big way. Especially for the one man band setup. IMO, the biggest advantage for the OP is that he can get RME quality within his budget.