Kemper DI profile sounds different when saved

• I wonder if a significant portion of the difference you're hearing and feeling is more in the amplification and less in the profile?
    For the powered Kemper, you're using it's built-in solid state amplifier. For the tube amp, you're using it's power amp.

Maybe try testing your Kemper line-out feeding into the "return" of the fx loop of your tube amp if it has one, bypassing the preamp and EQ on your amp and going straight into the amp's tube power amp and see if that gets you closer to what you hear from your tube amp?

That would eliminate the difference between Kemper's on-board solid state amp and your tube amp's power amp.

Yes... Already tried this in the past numerous times.
    It (Kemper SS power amplifier section) is a large part of the issue.

However, you have to be careful as the "DI profile" already has the tube poweramp in it, so when you add a tube power amp to a profile, you are in effect, doubling up on the power amp section.

But all that aside, yes, a large group of members here have found that the SS poweramp is a huge issue that is not allowing a DI profile to sound, feel or react like the original reference amp, when played thru a 4X12 (or any cab...).

However, I do realize this was NOT the main reason that the Kemper was built. The Kemper performs amazing thru any PA system and is a real pleasure to use... just using the power section thru cabs is still a struggle.

• I am having the same issue except I'm using a cab and the rack mount non powered unit. I haven't changed any of the settings, but when I save, the sound is different.

• Just my two cents: Switching between the profile and reference does not work while making Direct Amp profiles! I first thought the same (the profile sounds similar compared to real amp) - but that's (sadly) not the case. You have to re'wire' your setup to listen to your Direct Amp profile:

Manual, page 237

"The recommended refining procedure, which comes after the automated part of the process, is a bit of a shot-in-thedark, as you will continue to hear your reference amp through the physical guitar cabinet only ... [...]"

That was the reason why i returned the Kemper. My goal was to make an identical 1:1 clone of my lovely JCM800. Because i play (mainly) through real cabs, that was really important to me. But i was not able to make an 1:1 copy of the amp (i used the Kemper DI Box) - it was very close, but not similar. When Kemper can achieve 100% (instead of ... 90%), they have my money :)

• I made some Direct profiles to test whether the process worked as well as Kemper claim. I set everything up so that I could do blind A/B comparisons while playing. I did notice a VERY slight difference in the low end but strangely when I checked it was actually the profile I preferred of the real amp. However, they were so similar I would have been really happy with either.

How did I do the test?

I plugged guitar into my RJM Mastermind PBC and used it as a very expensive A/B switcher. I set one button to toggle between outputs A and B but didn’t assign a light so it wasn’t obvious which out was being used. I sent a cable from each out to an input ; one one the KPA and the other on my Mesa Mk V:25. I have 2 identical Mesa EVM12L Thiele cabs which I bought as a pair in the mid 90’s and have used together since so they both have similar wear. I place the cabs side by side and plugged identical speaker cables in to each. I let the cables mix on the floor and didn’t know which was which then plugged them into the KPA and MESA. I started playing and just switched back and forth between them (often mid riff) and tried to figure out which was the profile and which was the real amp.