Stomps and Presets

• Hi everyone,
    Can anybody give a clear explanation about the difference between Stomp Types and Stomp Presets?

How are they supposed to work together?
    What is the function of the Stomp Presets? Is it to enrich and broaden the features of the Stomp Types?

I find this very confusing, as I see choruses, delays, distortions on both Stomp Types and Stomp Presets.
    Many thanks

• a type represents the actual algorithm that defines the effect. A preset is a combination of different settings for the parameters that can be set for a certain type. If you want to create your own settings you would start with a type and then tweak the values and store them as a new preset or a s a part of the current rig. If you are unfamiliar with a certain type of effect you could instead load some of the presets for that type to hear what can be done with the parameters.

• Think of stomp types as the stomps in your pedalboard. For example chorus is stomp type. Stomp presets are derived from stomp types. So you can have lush chorus, subtle chorus, intensive chorus...

• Keep in mind that even if you have selected a stomp type, the preset knob will still browse presets for all types.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

Edited once, last by musicmad ().

• Perhaps another perspective:

If you scroll through the list of effect presets and load one, not only the effect type changes for example to Phaser, but also all it's parameter settings are loaded from that preset: Rate, Depth, Manual, Feedback, Peak Spread, Stages, Mix, Ducking, Volume.

If you scroll through the list of effect types and load one of those, just the effect type changes e. g. to Phaser while all parameter settings stay untouched. This way you could for example switch back and forth between effect types Phaser and Flanger and compare how those sound with identical settings of shared parameters. Or compare a Vintage Chorus against a Hyper Chorus and so on.

The effect types are hardcoded in the software. The list of effect types can only be changed via software update, if our developers add new effect types.

Effect presets are user data like Rigs. The PROFILER is shipped with example presets, which you could erase and/or create your own.

• If you create user presets, add a symbol like ! so they’ll be placed at the top of the list. There isn’t a way to view only user presets or favorites yet.

These profiles go to 11!

• Many thanks for all the quick and eloquent replies.

Alright, so a Stomp Preset is no more than a specific setup for an FX (a Stomp Type, in KPA nomenclature) that you may fancy using or not at all. This being so I have further queries about them:

1. There are loads of Stomp Presets! 238! Are these Presets simply a specific setup of the particular knobs that come with a given Stomp Type? For instance, if I select Stomp Type Air Chorus I have three knobs specific to that effect for me to tweak to taste: Depth. Crossover &Volume. Now, is a Preset just a specific tweak, a specific "clock-position" of those knobs? Or are they adding an FX on top of the Stomp Type? If it is the latter, and I am pretty convinced it is, wouldn't it be more functional to simply create a chain of Stomps? What is the added-value of having Presets really? Especially if experts will probably prefer to use their own presets rather than factory ones.

2. What if I do not wish any Preset to be activated whatsoever? I cannot seem to be able to use a Stomp Type with no Stomp Preset. I'd like to turn the Stomp Preset functionality off.

3. to experts: do you find factory Stomp Presets any good?

• 1. It's the first. Just some settings for that stomp.

2. Since the above you can just ignore/delete all presets.

3. For some yes (delays etc.). For others (drives etc.) no.

You can define presets for a whole stomp section but none are supplied by default.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Many thanks.

1. That means I can recreate any Preset manually. However, Stomp Presets allow me to put a Chorus on top of, say, a Distortion. This I cannot have merely by tweaking the knobs of Stomp Type distortion.

2. I would not want to delete them. Simply bypass them. Is this done by not touching the Browse knob whatsoever? As once you turn it there is no way to set it to “none” or “bypass” or “off”