How essential is a 4x12 to getting good metal profiles?

• I’ve never played any 4x10 or 8x10 that I particularly liked. And certainly not as much as I like my 1x15 or bigger.
    (I toured with Vox 1x18 and 4x12 for a long time)

But this ONE Epifani 6x10 just sounded really good.
    No idea why. I still didn’t like their 4x10

And as I said, I only heard it in the room; never got to mic it to REALLY find out.

All of the bass profiles I’m using now live are of 1x15 or 4x12 cabs (one 12 close mic’ed)

• That’s of course if you can actually (blind) HEAR those subtleties on the mic.

I think the differences in the character or individual speakers and speaker cabs have a lot more to do with liking one over another than the actual number of speakers.

I generally don’t like the sound of 10’s for bass guitar, for example, but I’ve heard a particular 6x10 that sounded terrific. And yet the same company’s 8x10 didn’t sound anywhere near as good.
    THat doesn’t mean by any means mean I like 6x10’s better than 8x10’s in general. Just that this ONE cab and speaker combination was special.

Wow. I thought a 4x10 or a 2x10 was basically a staple for Bass cabs, with 1 x15 being a nice addition. And the 8x10s I encountered were AWESOME, though that may have more to do with the sheer power of it all. I'll defer to you though- If you fall I will catch you Time After Time!

• Yeah, 12s and 15s seem to be the "norm" these days.

I ran a Peavey 1810 bin (18" + 2 x 10") for a year, and that thing had plenty of welly, but no decent mids. I learned my lesson when I borrowed a 2x12 cab for an important gig, placed it upright on a chair, and realised I'd never sounded better. At last I could hear every damned note I played clearly; the Peavey bin had always sat on the floor, being the heavy thing it was.

If I were going to mic that Peavey, I know for sure the 18" would've sounded tubby (it just did), and the 10s really only delivered in the high end, so I'd have been forced to position the mic in a mid-way, "compromise" position, but even then I know those precious mids wouldn't have been there, at least not in a warm way.

Were I to have that time over again, I'd save my back and double my listening pleasure by going somewhere in between the "extremes" of that 1810.

That said, the head plays a role too, obviously, and my Peavey MkIV of the time, pricey as it was, was no Galien Kruger (the one I'd have loved to have used). They go cheap-as-chips these days, the 400 and 800RB. 30 years too late for me 'though! :D

• In my opinion that's the same issue with amps : the 50w amp will sound lighter than the 100w version of it, even in a Kemper profile, because of the headroom you lose.

And I prefer a 4x12 for profiling for the same reason, it's just more powerful, even if you only mic one speaker.

The only 2x12 I liked A LOT on a Kemper profile is a Mesa Roadwing 2x12 cab on a Deadlight studio's profile.