Tone matching

• Yeah it'd be kinda useful sometimes. I know that it's only an EQ match effect and it's slightly demeaning to the Kemper when it does so much more, but there are just times when it's really useful to just grab a similar amp but then totally match the EQ curve of a source, for example bring brought in to add content to an existing track where a Kemper and profile wasn't used before (so there's no way to quickly just recall the sound), although admittedly most DAWs (apart from the one I mainly use) have that, but I'd sure appreciate it. I can imagine live musicians would like it too to just be able to nail that tracks tones.

• +100000, it shouldn't be a big deal with the profiling capabilites of the KPA.

Idea: you put the isolated mp3 or wav guitar track on your USB pen, the KPA picks it up and creates a profile based on the matched guitar tone, which you can tweak (and maybe refine?) after.

Use your ears, not your mathematical sense.

Edited once, last by richaxes ().

• If Kemper staff adds tone matching it's ok to me.
    BUT i think that tone matching-approach leads to lower quality tones. Too many things involved (like recording, conversions, etc) and it cannot catch the interaction between amp and cabinet. And i think that tone matching produces a sound influenced even by the guitar being used on the first recording. The result can be a flat and two dimensions tone, IMHO.
    Cool that i know many fractal user issuing that the Kemper is basically a tone matching machine and they hated that approach until Cliff (great businessman) has begun making that available.

Anyway i think that higher SPDIF frequency, more and more flexible fx and swappable tonestack would be way more useful.

• I've been using tone matching for years in Logic Pro, I would use it just to capture an EQ curve of a particular isolated guitar track, then apply that curve to the same riff I recorded with a tone similar to that guitar track. The results are pretty good. However, if the new EQ is drastically different, it can sound horrible. Also, you have to remember, the tone matching in the Axe-Fx will not make the base sound any better. I always thought the Axe-Fx was more compressed sounding, with tone matching, it's not going to make it sound all open and raw like the Kemper does. Men will have to decide on their own.

• I'm too busy to follow the comings and goings of the Axe-FX crowd, but if by "tone matching" you mean "spectrum matching", there are good plugins for this like Ozone and Voxengo's CurveEQ. Pretty much a process best left to mixing, but darn useful on occasion.

-djh

• I'm too busy to follow the comings and goings of the Axe-FX crowd, but if by "tone matching" you mean "spectrum matching", there are good plugins for this like Ozone and Voxengo's CurveEQ. Pretty much a process best left to mixing, but darn useful on occasion.

-djh

Yes, I agree in post it works great but tone matching in the box will help all those men in Van Halen and Rush tribute bands with digital rigs.

• I don't get it, tone matching a tone from a completely produced track is not something I could need (live). Your band is not going to sound like the rest of the produced track anyway. Like having to mix backing track with the band, ok if you play at a wedding or in a piano bar, but it normally sounds like crap at a proper gig (we use to do it for some Queen and Pink Floyd stuff, it was a nightmare for the sound guy).
    Good for recording, but as stated you have a quite a number of good plugs that do it.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Keep in mind, you can make a Profile of a "tone matched" patch.

Anyone care to make some profiles who own both units or have some favourite artist match IR patches in DAW made with Ozone? That might be fun for some users :)
    The eq tone match is old tech but can be useful sometimes when copying covers.
    Strange why fractal market it as a new tech invention when the Ozone plugin will give the exact same results.

• My 0.02 bet: we'll never see such a function in the KPA. Two main reasons IMO:

• Kemper will not put themselves on Fractal (that had put themselves on Kemper's track)'s tracks [LOL I really hope this joke works in English. I gave my two last neurons for conceiving it];

• Kemper have other things to do at the moment.

Betting is on! :D

PS: On a more serious note, I could be completely off base here. Time will tell X)

• Eq matching like Ozone is old tech, used for over ten years and it's open for everyone to do, like fractal did.
    I know profiling is a lot more than just eq tone match, but some might find it useful.
    Since KPA users already have profiled presets from Axe and other modelers for fun,
    why not make some cover profiles too :thumbup: .

• It's already included - it's called 'refine'.

Yes, it would be great if we could re-refine a profile later - EQ matching should not be to difficult as well.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de