Mapping CC functionality to program change?

• The MIDI controller I bought along with the Kemper is very simple - a Tech 21 Mongoose. The buttons speak only program change, which is fine if I'm configuring for a gig. Load the profiles I want, set the PC, ready to rock.

Most everything else in the MIDI implementation is CC or NRPN. I was wondering if there were any tricks / configurations that would allow me to map some of that to respond instead to PC. As an example, since the pedal only speaks PC, it would be great if I could program the browse next / prev to a couple of PC values.

This is a long shot I'm sure, and I know the most supported solution is to spend $469 on the foot controller, but that's a bit of overkill for my typical needs, so I thought I'd ask.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Use Performance Mode. Each slot has its own PC. In the first Performance for example the first slot is PC1, second slot is PC2 and so on.

If you call PC 11 from your pedal, the rig you want should be programmed in the first slot of Performance 3. You can go up or down no matter if you are in one Performance or another. I have a midi pedal that ONLY goes up or down, so I have programmed my rigs to always go UP, UP, UP.... next rig in the song is always UP. Some songs with a lot of changes are spread over 3 performances. And it works perfect for me.

• Thanks, man. I appreciate the help.

Since the Mongoose only sends PC, how would I go about invoking Up or Down? As best I can tell, it only sends a specific value, e.g. program change 42, so I don't know how that relates to the up / down functionality you mentioned.

• Oh, I see. The Mongoose has 5 slots each and does not have switch to go up or down. My pedal doesn't have individual pedals for each PC so it just remembers the last PC and you go up or down. In your case If you can't program the Mongoose itself to go up or down in the PC list, then there is no way to send that to the Kemper with a PC number.

Edit for clarification: my pedal doesn´t send a PC that the Kemper understands as UP or DOWN. I press down and if I was in PC 43 my pedal goes to 42 and the Kemper loads rig 42. If I then press UP, my pedal goes UP on the list to 43 and the Kemper loads rig 43.

Edited once, last by Atlantic ().

• Makes sense, thanks.

Come to think of it, I have another older controller laying around in the chaos room that does have up and down functionality. It's bigger than I wanted to use on gigs, but would be perfect in the studio for browsing.

Thanks for getting me on the right path!

• This might be a misunderstanding. You don't need to send any Performance up or down commands via MIDI. A MIDI progam change is sufficient to address a Slot within the same MIDI bank absolutely. If you for example send MIDI PC #27, the PROFILER will load Performance 6 Slot 2 regardless which Performance and Slot had been loaded before. The navigating within the banks of 5 within the Mongoose is irrelevant for the PROFILER.

As the Tech21 Mongoose cannot send MIDI bank select, you are limited to navigate within the same MIDI bank for example MIDI Bank 1 from Performance 1 Slot 1 (PC# 1) to Performance 26 Slot 2 (PC# 128).

Be aware, that the PROFILER only load Slots that are enabled. Otherwise the MIDI PC gets ignored.

• This might be a misunderstanding. You don't need to send any Performance up or down commands via MIDI. A MIDI progam change is sufficient to address a Slot within the same MIDI bank absolutely. If you for example send MIDI PC #27, the PROFILER will load Performance 6 Slot 2 regardless which Performance and Slot had been loaded before. The navigating within the banks of 5 within the Mongoose is irrelevant for the PROFILER.

As the Tech21 Mongoose cannot send MIDI bank select, you are limited to navigate within the same MIDI bank for example MIDI Bank 1 from Performance 1 Slot 1 (PC# 1) to Performance 26 Slot 2 (PC# 128).

Be aware, that the PROFILER only load Slots that are enabled. Otherwise the MIDI PC gets ignored.

Yes, that is what I was trying to explain. There is no midi command that you send to the KPA to go up and down. Only the number of the PC. The UP or DOWN happens only within the limits of the MIDI pedal to change from one PC to the next.

• I just looked a couple of minutes at a video explaining the Tech21 Mongoose. And - no surprise - it offers multiple banks. You access higher and lower banks by pressing two buttons simultaneously. It's even printed on the Mongoose front panel:

-10 = - 2 banks of five

-5 = -1 bank of five

+5= + 1 bank of five

+10= 2 banks of five

So in bank 1 button 2 sends program change 2. if you press buttons 4 and 5 simultaneously you move two banks up. Now button 2 sends program change 12.

This must be described in the Mongoose manual.

• Awesome Burkhard . Providing support for a product that isn’t the Kemper? Excelsior!

• Thanks, Burkhard.

Yes, you can bank through the standard 128 PC values without a problem. I was just being lazy, hoping for a single button that would always ++PC, but this would get it done as well.

• Reading manual's is SOOOOO last year dude. keep up 8o

Chris, just messin' I hope Burkhard's info is what you are looking for. All the best.

As a programmer, I'm philosophically opposed to manuals. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to use! :)

• I think what the OP was saying was that since the Midi Mongoose has only 5 buttons and no way to increment or decrement (performance or browse mode up or down) the midi numbers, he is just stuck with sending the same 5 PC numbers.

Hopefully your old controller will work fine, Chris Duncan

Thanks, man. I knew you could bank through. I'm just always looking for the simplest way to do things, e.g. just keep stomping on the same button over and over. Musicians can be so lazy sometimes. :)