Output section issues

• Hi guys

Can anyone help with this? My setup is as follows:

Powered Kemper speaker out into a Matrix FRFR 2x12 cab

Main output XLR to desk/FOH

My issue is that last night at a gig I wanted to set it up so the main output is the same volume regardless of the master volume, which I want to use to make the speaker output louder or quieter for my stage volume without the sound guy having to adjust his desk. I thought I could do this by "Unlinking" the main outputs but all that did was set the main output react to the master volume control. Not sure how to configure this to be honest, the manual didn't really give much help and it was a stressful situation whereby I ended up with wildly different volumes for every output and even after linking them again they all went up and down from their respective positions (i.e master volume was -18db, headphone was -7db and monitor volume was -3db). I can't seem to get them back to unity volume!

I guess my question is 2-fold:

1. How do I configure it so the main XLR output to the desk is stationary and doesn't react to the master volume, but the speaker output is controlled by the master volume?

2. How do I get all of my volumes back to parity with each other so I can do step 1 from a flat starting point?

Thanks

• the volume link function in the output menu determines which outputs are controlled by the master volume knob. If you want to control your personal monitoring volume using the master volume knob you should activate the Monitor output volume link and deactivate the Main Output volume link. To control the volume levels of the individual outputs you can use the soft knobs underneath the display while you are looking at the volume settings in the output menu. If you have linked more than one output to the master volume knob the volume levels will change in relation to their original values when you turn the master volume knob.

• Ok thanks -so the "Monitor output" volume link is also the Speaker output? It's confusing because the speaker output is not mentioned anywhere and that's the one I want to have the master volume change.

Thanks again

• Ok thanks -so the "Monitor output" volume link is also the Speaker output? It's confusing because the speaker output is not mentioned anywhere and that's the one I want to have the master volume change.

Thanks again

when you type speaker output into the search field of your PDF reader while the main manual is open you get this:

The Built-in Power Amplifier

The optional built-in power amplifier allows you to connect your PROFILER to 4, 8, and 16-ohm guitar cabinets, as well as unpowered full-range cabinets. It is cabled to the MONITOR OUTPUT internally, so all features of the MONITOR OUTPUT are applied to the internal power amplifier as well. Please refer to the MONITOR OUTPUTchapter of this manual for more detailed information.

• Yes thanks - This was 20 minutes before the gig during line check that the sound engineer asked me to do this so I was searching for "Link" and "Master volume link" which didn't yield the correct results.

• searching for link in the main manual leads to this:

Output Volumes and Output Volume Link

Within the output section you can find individual volumes for different physical outputs. When you press the correspondent "Link" soft button in "Output Volumes" or "Output AddOns", you can link, or unlink, the respective volume to the MASTER VOLUME knob. Any linked volumes will be controlled by the MASTER VOLUME knob, without having to enter the output section again. You can link more than one volume to Master Volume all linked volumes will be adjusted relatively to each other. All output volumes can still be controlled individually by soft knobs in the output section. An obvious live application is to unlink the MAIN OUTPUTS connected to the main mixing desk of the venue this means you can now change the volume of your monitor signal, or headphones, while the all- important main signal remains unchanged.

• Yes you’ve just highlighted my initial problem – on stage with 20 minutes until we played frantically looking through the manual because in the section you just quoted it says nothing about the speaker output being the same as the monitor output – that information is only in the “Speaker output” section, but it would be convenient to also be in the section you quoted as I wasn’t trying to get information on the speaker output itself, I was trying to get information on the volume links and what they refer to.

Doesn’t matter now anyway, you’ve solved my issue and I thank you for it :)

• Fairly obvious now but make sure you set this up in advance. You want the main output to be around -18db which will give the desk a decent level without frying it!! Once set, you never need to touch it.

BTW if you are using a regualr cab, I STRONGLY recommend to set up your profiles using an FRFR speaker so you know what sound will come out of the PA. A guitar cab will colour the sound so much it can hide duff profiles.

• Ok thanks - I set the soft button to the 12db pad but do you think it's worth lowering it more than that?

I'm using a 2x12 FRFR Matrix cab (Matrix Fr212) so hopefully I'm getting a good representation. It sounds incredible at practice and the videos of the gig sounded awesome (to me anyway ^^)