Bend with 2 notes ore more, a.h, NUMERICAL NOISE !!!

• 1.) Don't use too much of the compressor, better work on your vibrato I don't use any.
    2.) Don't use too high noisegate settings, it is better to wax pickups or improve the shielding of your guitar, or lower your volume when you don't playI tried to cut it but difference was anecdotic
    3.) Use good quality Cables (not expensive ones just not the cheapest) I did (very correct cordial (neutrik) cable
    4.) Do not use to much gain. Try to improve your palmmutes, hit Strings clear and hard, mute unwanted strings Well it depend on what kind of sound and style i need to play (i use from really clean to high gain sounds) and i must say that i'm quite satisfied with my playing.
    5.) Use the TS to clean up unwanted high frequencies Never try this,thanks for the tips i will try
    6.) If you don't like the wobbling tone, do not emphasize it with your playing technique :PIn fact i like the real wobbling tone (and weird effects that you can do with a guitare) but not something to artificial that jump to my ears like that (like never before btw)

• OK, Ive quickly checked the profiles.
    When I first did these profiles I just shot a load of profiles in various situations with the intention of weeding out the good ones.
    The day after I did the last of them my KPA went back to the dealers for replacement, so I backed up the profiles but never got round to weeding them.
    I was asked by a few members to put the profiles up so I did, but there are without doubt a good few lemons among them.When I did get the KPA back about a week later there hadn't been much interest in the profiles so I just left them as they were, unsorted and didn't bother putting any up on the rig exchange.
    I was aware of at least one 'bad' profile (Ive checked this and its 1i) and there were at least a few dodgy ones. I was on a firmware where every so often when shooting numerous profiles, bad or distorted ones would occur for no apparent reason.
    Having said that, the profile in question here is the yjm full tilt on the treble only channel, with the built in (DOD) booster on max volume with no 'drive'. Quite frankly thats an enormous amount of treble boost and the amp itself chucks out all sorts of harmonics just by breathing on it when its set up like that, even at reasonable volume levels (if attenuated, which it wasn't during the profiles). Certainly not my choice of sound but it was one of the requests Id had, so I did it.
    I haven't had a chance to do the comparison recording but will try to get round to it this week.
    PS, FWIW all the '01' profiles are done with a palmer speaker sim on.

• I have been also noticing lately something wrong when playing with a considerable amount of gain. It happens more when I play the highest frets on the 1st string. There is some sort of digital pulse or aliasing. I am talking about playing single notes.

Also when I use a headphone amp connected by spdif that has the capability to oversample the input, I am able to make this issue even more noticeable by adding/increasing oversampling in the amp headphone. I am not sure if this is the same thing Radley is referring to but there is something not right there and quite annoying.

• Welcome in the world of distortion!

Per and some others are right. The ghost tones are a natural product of distortion.
    Every distorting amp since decades will produce these.
    They are caused by intermodulation.
    The perception differs from sound to sound (or profile to profile).
    And of course the effect in the profile is the same as on the original amp.
    If there was a digital artefact added, it would easily be revealed in an A/B comparison.

When two different notes are played into a distortion, each modulate the amplitude of the other tone. This will produce new frequencies: the sum and difference frequencies of the original tones. What you hear is mainly the deep difference frequencies.
    If both notes are played on a nice interval, such as a perfect third or fifth, the difference frequency is a subharmonic that fits well to the interval.
    But if you bend one of the tones, this difference frequency will sweep.
    This might remind you of a ring modulator. And yes, a ring modulator runs by roughly the same physics. It's typical sound is also created by bending one tone against another.

• I was able to create the same results in seconds with my real Marshall.
    The first half of the recording is quite regular, because you have hit the interval exactly.
    Later the intervals are slightly bent, but this is enough to create detuned harmonics that sound like a bell or a ring modulator.
    Have you never had this effect with any other amp?

The first half of the recording is quite regular, because you have hit the interval exactly.
    Later the intervals are slightly bent, but this is enough to create detuned harmonics that sound like a bell or a ring modulator.
    Have you never had this effect with any other amp?

CK, I agree that is completely normal. I use it sometimes on purpose.

The issue I am referring to is different. I don't know if this is what Radley has been referring to for some time already since I don't know if he finally recorded the clips he intended to. But I recorded a couple of clips to demonstrate it. Each clip is recorded with a different profile. The 1st one with the Fargen 80's profile (unedited) and the 2nd with the profile Bogner XTC CH3 Boost from r.u.sirius using Tills cabs. 2 different guitars were used for the clips. This happens with digital, analog outputs and headphone output. You can easily hear something weird going on the high end. It feels like a pulse of some sort or maybe aliasing.

If you want I can send you the wav files and the profiles.

http://soundcloud.com/mad_h/sets/kpa-issue-clip-1

• I think i know exactly what you're talking about MadH, I've heard it in some profiles, but Not all profiles, so it must just be the way they were profiled, I thought it was coming from the Delay effects, it gets accentuated more with the Drives, on a least one profile i can hear weird background noises, even playing single notes in the high register, this with all effects off, just the profile itself, so it must just be a damaged profile somehow, think it was a Steve Morse preset I downloaded.

• I don`t think it has anything to do with the profiles being damaged. I used two profiles as example but I tried to do this with many profiles including stock ones and I was able to replicate the results. It only seems to appear with a considerable amount of gain and playing on the highest notes of the 1st string, like you can hear on the clips.

CK, What is the support email you are referring to? I tried to send the rigs through the website contact us section but it does not have an option for attachments.

• I don`t think it has anything to do with the profiles being damaged. I used two profiles as example but I tried to do this with many profiles including stock ones and I was able to replicate the results. It only seems to appear with a considerable amount of gain and playing on the highest notes of the 1st string, like you can hear on the clips.

CK, What is the support email you are referring to? I tried to send the rigs through the website contact us section but it does not have an option for attachments.

what note are you hitting? maybe one of us, like me, can try the same note on my or our guitars and see if the same thing happens... just to rule out if its the kemper or something else. if muliple users are getting teh same thing with the same notes, then for sure its something in the kemper, if not, then it may be something else..

• what note are you hitting? maybe one of us, like me, can try the same note on my or our guitars and see if the same thing happens... just to rule out if its the kemper or something else. if muliple users are getting teh same thing with the same notes, then for sure its something in the kemper, if not, then it may be something else..

You can try starting with the fret 14th on the 1st string for instance and continue from there until the last fret, playing one by one. It does not happen in all the notes. You just have to hit the notes with the pick with a strong enough attack (no vibrato). I know it is not my guitar because I tried with 3 guitars (2 guitars used on the clips). I used two different nice cables (Evidence HG Lyric and Evidence Melody). It must be either a general issue on the KPA, or on mine (I hope not).

This is the profile I used for the 2nd clip http://kemper-amps.com/api/dow…25xZzeL7DV2Y5eEbbBt?.kipr

I noticed that increasing the gain makes the issue even more noticeable. After you try that one you may try as well with other profiles including stock ones as well as long as you have the gain at 6 or more and a cab that allows enough high end to go through.

Btw, I am on firmware 1.07 beta. Also tweaking clean sense does not make any difference.

Could anybody give me the email address for support at Kemper so I can send the profiles to CK?

• Ok will do and post. I havnt noticed to much funky biz at all and for the sake of getting Diwn to the nitty gritty think it's worth another posting to see if we get similair results.

Hi, the problem you have is nothign to do with the Kemper, but your guitar instead. You need to lower your pickup poles from your strings, what youv'e got is pickup warble.

Here's an example using my guitar I made a while back (using a Pod HD) :

http://www.peranders.com/general/warbling_pickup.mp3

The first half I play with the pick up close to the string, then i go and adjust the pickup away form the strings and play the same notes.

• Nice try, Per, but they won't believe you. :D

hi Christophe, thanks for your answer did you create this result too , here it's ONE note ?
    http://rbul1.free.fr/kemper.mp3

listen carefully "behind" the sound, very artificial noise that i never heard in my whole life in a real amp ...i tried with different profiles (and with or without noise gate, or reverb , input is set correctly , and my TYLER burning water pup are OK)
    i noticed it happens when you push the gain (but as you hear in the sample, not soo much...) or when you use dist stomp with some gain.
    please try
    it's the nature of distortion , or digital emulation ? i did'nt have this pb with DM4 line 6 or fractal audio axe fx ultra.
    no offence here, my kemper maybe have a pb.

• Is it possible to hear this without reverb on it?

Also how well are you muting your other strings and avoiding fingernail scraping on the next strings over during those bends and fretboard harmonics?

How high gain did you ever go with your other units by comparison? For me the Kemper goes way beyond the normal levels of distortion I have in any of my real amps or in any amp sim I've played, with some profiles it goes right the way into square wave territory.

• Cannot believe this thread is still going..... :rolleyes:

really ?? look :
    [Blocked Image: http://rbul1.free.fr/kemper.jpg]

is it lower enough ?

i changed my guitar , i changed the profile :
    amp chief clean r121 (kemper amp 2011 10 18 )

as you see it's one made by kemper.checked the sound , all the output (spdif out) everything 's ok , input sense ok , clean sound was ok
    added a ONE DS drive : gain at 5 , then 2 (yes ,2 ) , then full .tone at 5 .everything's off, no noise gate, no reverb, nothing.

the result

http://rbul1.free.fr/kemper.wav

you've got some digital noise who sound like "added notes" ( 0:02 = F then Eb at 0:04 , and then D at 0:05 (!!!!)

8|

please try at your home with your kemper see is my unit has a pb .
    thanks a lot ;)

• How high gain did you ever go with your other units by comparison? For me the Kemper goes way beyond the normal levels of distortion I have in any of my real amps or in any amp sim I've played, with some profiles it goes right the way into square wave territory.

hi here's the kind of gain i use (here my amp in torpedo vb 101)
    http://rbul1.free.fr/torpedo7.mp3

http://rbul1.free.fr/torpedo6.mp3