Axe 6.0 has dropped

• Interesting thoughts, hoth.

Well, what the KPA will for sure improve in the next months is its consistency, its bugs and so on. I don't really believe it will become "something else" tho. I may be completely off base here, but I think that when it was conceived it was not aimed at becoming the all-in-one solution. But I believe that the competition users have created between Axe and KPA will stimulate Kemper to evolve - at least partially - their original project.

The KPA and the Axe are actually two machines destined to different uses, each one addressing different needs.
    I for one think that the KPA is the one for me: as I have written in another post, at the cost of an Axe here in Europe I can have a KPA and an rcf nx 12 sma, and I don't like the idea of getting lost in the cyberspace of parameters' menus XD

But I have something to say I have been thinking since the KPA actually hit the market: IMVHO, Kemper have made their worst mistake ever by announcing the KPA too early. I believe things have not gone as they expected and they had to postpone the release, but this has given almost one year to Fractal to implement new functions that - it's clear now - would have never been implemented otherwise. Probably nothing scared Eng. Chase in his life like the KPA announcement! LOL

Had KPA's release been announced one year later (and performed when it actually took place) the KPA would have had a much longer period of clear supremacy, and would have gone sold much more. This would have meant a lot, in terms of ROI, available resources, critical user-mass for conceiving other projects ect.

Now... let's see how things evolve :)

• If Christoff is not intending on making the KPA the end-all, be-all machine, I hope he will consider selling/leasing his profiling process to other companies who would like to take it further towards 'Nirvana'. PS: I would find it hard to believe that 'the competition' are not already working on their own version of this technology....we'll see! 8o

All modelers known to man 8o

• If Christoff is not intending on making the KPA the end-all, be-all machine, I hope he will consider selling/leasing his profiling process to other companies who would like to take it further towards 'Nirvana'. PS: I would find it hard to believe that 'the competition' are not already working on their own version of this technology....we'll see! 8o

define end all be all? the end all be all means different things for different people. for most engineers throught history, making the sounds most people are chasing with digital boxes, it means a great sounding amp, in a great sounding room, with the right mic to capture it. Then if needed eq and compression inside their recorder of choice.

for someone playing live, end all be all may mean an entirely different thing. I think most fractal people get all up in arms and even peeved, at the thought that hey, their axe fx isn't for everyone, like it for some reason should be the only product on market. fact is, fractal has steep competition, only all the hype and talk is what make fractals perceived value that much greater in some aspects.

I actually preffered my floorboard efx to those inside the axe fx. thought fractals sounded To high figh and not analog enough. who's right? for me its me.

for what I do, I just need a great sounding amp sound to tape. KPA has been that solution for me. I don't desire all sorts of processing or whatever inside the box. but thats me. So even if all different features are implemented, there will never be an end all be all to everyone involved.

glad fractal improved their modelling, cause honestly imo, they were behind.. in the end, use what you want, and care less about what people are saying or using.. make killer stuff.

• define end all be all?

'End-all, Be-all' would simply be an amazing Amp Profiler packaged inside an excellent effects package, capable of studio quality for both amp emulation and stereo effects. I realize the sentimental attraction of 'just a great guitar and amp', but it is not the reality of today - there really are more fish to fry, and the winners will always be looking for ways to improve their batter... :o)

• 'End-all, Be-all' would simply be an amazing Amp Profiler packaged inside an excellent effects package, capable of studio quality for both amp emulation and stereo effects. I realize the sentimental attraction of 'just a great guitar and amp', but it is not the reality of today - there really are more fish to fry, and the winners will always be looking for ways to improve their batter... :o)

says the guy asking how to mic up his amp and admiting he doesn't even know how to route stuff cause other people do it for him. haha

yes a good amp and room and mic IS the reality of today still. I don't care what you say Radely, we will never agree on this, and for some reason you think there is much more to the equation when it really starts with the basic sound source.

• define end all be all? the end all be all means different things for different people. for most engineers throught history, making the sounds most people are chasing with digital boxes, it means a great sounding amp, in a great sounding room, with the right mic to capture it. Then if needed eq and compression inside their recorder of choice.

Exactly.

• Ughhh.....

I think I will be buying the AXE II to go along with the Kemper. I really really love the Kemper and I will be patient with the development and I think in the long run it will win out, but I also want the advancements that are available with the AXE II now and in the future.

"Heavy Metal does have a message for the rest of the world: Fuck You!" -Sebastian Bach

• says the guy asking how to mic up his amp and admiting he doesn't even know how to route stuff cause other people do it for him. haha

yes a good amp and room and mic IS the reality of today still. I don't care what you say Radely, we will never agree on this, and for some reason you think there is much more to the equation when it really starts with the basic sound source.

You just made a very perceptive statement - it truly does start with a basic sound source, but it doesn't END there! That's because there IS more to it, and even your favorite recordings involve more tweaking/processing than you might think. I have no desire to change your mind on this, but I do believe you are being overly simplistic and 'amp-centric' 8o It is that wistful and dreamy world where Amps are worshiped like gods that I strive to avoid, because they were always only part of the big picture. Yes I want the KPA to become a fully-featured multieffects monster, and if Christoph doesn't do it, I will support whoever ultimately does...

Over and Out.

• As. I have stated before Radley I have been a working professional engineer for a decade in various studios So trust me when I feel I have a grip on all the "more to it" you keep referring to. Am I all that? No but been doing professional audio for long enough and that is all I do not a hobbyist

Fact is the better the sound source the less you actually have to mess with it or do "more" to it. That includes pretty much any source. No different for guitar

I don't worship Amps. But the fact is amp modeling is trying to do what? Um sound like an amp. Willing to bet that most people's favorite recordings to this day are done with. Um. Amps. So yeah good amp sounds pretty much kick ass. That's never gonna change.

Unless u are using something like the axe fx for efx only, it's still trying to Mimick the sound of a real amp. Te convenience of these are multiple sounds in a box and ease of not having to constantly mic up stuff.

When I play live I do love efx. And sometimes lots of them. I use what I like. Never will I expect one box to be the end all. Much like we have multiple guitars. Each one does something speciall

The end all for Radley may not be my end all.

• Audioholic,

I have a lot of respect for you and the impressive clips you have shared both here and on the Gear Page - this is nothing personal, only a simple disagreement on the importance of post-processing on modern guitar sounds, that's all....

• The end all for Radley may not be my end all.

Exactly, and that's why we need as much variety and potential in our processor as possible - not only can we make the amp & cab sound perfect, but also the proper effects and ambiance to add the proper icing to the cake, whatever the chosen flavor. I can't tell you how many times a smiling engineer has promised to add special reverb or delay to a dry part during the mixdown, but it rarely happens - if you want the effect to be there, provide it live while you are recording - you will save the engineer some work, and yourself some embarrassment when you hear the finished product.

• The eventide 'factor' pedals are really nice too.
    Im running an eclipse at home and have all 4 factor pedals.
    IMHO the axefx doesn't get close to them...
    My live rig at present is a TS09, evh wah and phase 90, mxr flanger, KPA with eventide pitchfactor in the loop.
    Still cheaper than the axefx2, and certainly much better to me.
    Never found a proper replacement for those before amp stomps on anything digital, so,for me the axefx 1 or 2 was never a complete solution anyway.
    Liked the amp and cab models, but preferred the KPA for that.
    Not too keen on either axe fx or KPA drives/stomps or phasers/flangers in front of the 'amp'
    Like the other axefx effects but much preferred the eventide ones which IMHO just sound much better.

• I think most modeller units in the history were always pack with a lot of FXs just to mask the simple fact they were not able to reproduce a satisfying tube amp tone. The appealling of the deal was "Hey you have everything in one box!", but for me it was even not thru because I've always used a lot of stomp boxes with modelers i owned ( yes even with AFX ).

So, now that modelling and profiling can create really convincing tube amp tones there would be no shame to sell a totally stripped down modelling units with only preamps, amps and cab simulations then we can use the FXs stomps we prefer.

I think they should offer the choice of one stripped down box and one full FXs box to customers as they prefer it.

Pierre

• I think the Axe II (standard and Ultra for that matter) effects are stellar. When you start comparing them to Eventide...thats a compliment to the Axe.
    6.0 is awesome . It really is good. Come into my studio... you wont be able to tell the difference between the AXE the KPA or a real tube amp.
    You guys are not doing KPA any favors by comparing those products. Thats probably is what keeps most people on the fence about either.

• Exactly, and that's why we need as much variety and potential in our processor as possible - not only can we make the amp & cab sound perfect, but also the proper effects and ambiance to add the proper icing to the cake, whatever the chosen flavor. I can't tell you how many times a smiling engineer has promised to add special reverb or delay to a dry part during the mixdown, but it rarely happens - if you want the effect to be there, provide it live while you are recording - you will save the engineer some work, and yourself some embarrassment when you hear the finished product.

Rarely record efx while laying Diwn part unless it's essential pedals to the sound. If u do record parts with efx like delay and verb. You can't go and adjust levels or efx and u are stuck with them. Not very ideal mostly. Like most of the efx I have inside pt anyway and I can adjust just the right amount come mix time.

I would take a long time engineers advice about efx levels over a guitarists idea of efx levels pretty much mostly But thats just my experience

• I agree with viabcroce statement:

"The KPA and the Axe are actually two machines destined to different uses, each one addressing different needs. "

and also the fact that the KPA is most usable with minor tweak and the cost is very lower too...

Finally, I'm without words for such a performance of Radley here, hats off ... KPA, AXE or real Amp, the hands are the hands ... ;)

• Rarely record efx while laying Diwn part unless it's essential pedals to the sound. If u do record parts with efx like delay and verb. You can't go and adjust levels or efx and u are stuck with them. Not very ideal mostly. Like most of the efx I have inside pt anyway and I can adjust just the right amount come mix time.

I would take a long time engineers advice about efx levels over a guitarists idea of efx levels pretty much mostly But thats just my experience

It's a disagreement and a good area of discussion. First off, I'm happy for the Axe 2 owners if they are happy with the latest update. It doesn't shake my confidence in what I prefer to be excited for someone else's joy.

Having split my time as a front of house sound engineer/studio producer and guitar player/songwriter, my opinion fall more toward audioholic's when it comes to all in one solutions for basic tone and fx processing. The overdrive /distortions in the KPA don't do it for me, however, their "real life" counterparts never did it for me. The autowah stuff doesn't wind my watch and neither do such doodads as actual pedals. I havn't owned or use a wah pedal since 1970... their cool, but not destined to be what I want... if that changed? I'd buy a good one and put it in front of the KPA... It doesn't bother me that it's in the box, but I wouldn't miss it either. What the KPA has that's pretty good for live is some of the 'verbs, the eq's, some of what the compressor does, but the comp is not as versatile as a multiband compressor by any means. What drew me to the KPA was the fidelity of the guitar amp profiling. Without that, it's a moot point for me. No amp tones that satisfy me? No sale. That's what kept me away from modeler's and software solutions until now. A product's viability about what will make someone part with their hard earned money does matter in business. In guitar gear, many are persuaded to buy based on how much a doodad will do for them. Having been around guitar and fx, being involved in the cutting edge of live production as well as studio? One size fits all stuff is not there... at least not there when it comes to every feature being "perfect".

DSP has a sidecar of latency penalties that comes along for the ride. More latency IS a big negative for a guitar amp's enjoyment and usability factor. Being able to construct a setting with all the fx and goodies is a nice paradygm. For me, the decisions made can be terrific as a standalone sound, BUT, chances of that contruction fitting perfectly in a full mix is not impossible, but damned rare. Even seemingly wise choices can prove not so wise in the results. In the context of the whole.

The KPA got me to open my wallet based on the AMP sound capability because that is my deciding factor. Other's have their must have list, and I have mine. I get the opposing viewpoint. The validity is personal. Always has been, always will be.

Edited once, last by 1fastdog ().

• Ughhh.....

I think I will be buying the AXE II to go along with the Kemper. I really really love the Kemper and I will be patient with the development and I think in the long run it will win out, but I also want the advancements that are available with the AXE II now and in the future.

Same here. I have both, and love both. I see them as different tools, and the more tools the better. The foot controller took the axe2 to pro level for me. Before that, it was good, but with it-over the top. I hope to see the same from kemper. Anyone stuck a Matrix GM50 in the back of a KPA yet? Kinda curious if it fits and what it sounds like. I like the small-head form factor of the KPA. The axe2/matrix in the 4U is bulky, so the KPA is my grab and fly rig. Looking for alternatives to the EHX pedal thing. It works, I just want a little more power on tap(headroom)
    http://matrixguitaramplification.com/products/gm50/

Guitars-Lifeson Axcess Red, Lifeson Axcess Brown, Iced Tea Axcess stop tail, LRP Sig 57
    Amp-Axefx2, KPA, G5, GSP1101, RCF, QSC, Matrix, EHX-Mag44