input/output settings spdif

• Hi, really sorry for the dumb question. I only want to use the kemper for recording on my pc via spdif, what should the output volume be at? -12db or 0 or somewhere in between. I'm worried I've maybe mucked up the settings for input and output and cab settings, any idea what this should all be set to? Thanks in advance, I know there are manuals for this sort of stuff but I'm really daft when it comes to techy stuff.I just want it to sound the best it can.

• When I look at all the other volume levels they are set at -12db. Like headphone, main volume, monitor volume etc?

• i often wonder about this too. I like to have plenty of headroom on the individual tracks so keep input to between -6 and -12db. With SPDIF out set to 0db you get about 0.1db headroom. Therefore, I’ve been setting mine to around -8db recently which seems to be working well for me. I’d be interested to hear from any pro studio engineers what the technical recommendations are.

• Does the S/Pdif output effect both dry and wet signal? I record both and get different levels from S/Pdif. It must be the particular profiles output on the amp, pedal, eq etc which does the difference. Anyone knows about this? My dry signal is pretty low.

• When I look at all the other volume levels they are set at -12db. Like headphone, main volume, monitor volume etc?

Yes, analog output obviously needs adjustment depending on what the signal is sent to. There's no gain staging involved, or other reason, to attenuate that s/pdif output. You may attenuate as you please in your DAW. If the signal is above or too close to 0dBFS, your rig volume is too high.