KPA through amp

• The input of a guitar amp, clean or otherwise, is very high impedance (often 500kohm or more). You wont harm the KPA's outputs. Even if it was low impedance, no damage should occur....just poor quality.

bd

• What Musicman said.
    You're not going to damage anything, except if the level gets as high as to damage the cone... but I believe the amp would compress/distort enough for this not to happen.

OTOH, the KPA's out level is about 5-30 times higher than your guitar, not to speak about the impedance mismatch. Chances that the sound will be completely unusable/unpleasant are very high :|

Anyway, if you want to experiment, just keep both KPA's out and amp's gain at zero (master low), and slowly start raising them and see what happens ;)

• if your amp has a fx loop, try connecting the Profiler to the fx return.
    this bypasses the amps preamp and eq stages and might give you a better sounding signal.

just make sure to start with very low volume (Profiler Master Volume all the way down) and increase slowly.

• Tried this today with blackface profiles,no cab, going monitor out into my Custom Vibrolux Reverb. Altered the monitor eq a bit, had monitor volume at -16 to approximate the same level the amp sees when I plug straight in. Worked great. A good Fender amp turned into a great vintage blackface amp. An oddity is that although I set monitor out to 'no cab' the cab volume control was still working, so I turned the cab block off as well.

Vintage amp obsessive

• But can it damage the amp through fx-loop if the master of the kemper is too loud?

Gibson Standard 1994, LTD EC-100 VB, Ibanez SR505, ENGL Savage 120

• I don't have any amps with fx loops and I don't know what level of sound the loop return is designed to accept. If its guitar level you'd be OK. I always have my master volume on full but I don't know whether my monitor output was linked to m/v. I also noted that some user profiles have a much larger volume level than others.

Vintage amp obsessive

• I don't have any amps with fx loops and I don't know what level of sound the loop return is designed to accept. If its guitar level you'd be OK.

Did you notice this: "just make sure to start with very low volume (Profiler Master Volume all the way down) and increase slowly."

He was probably asking at which point the master volume starts to be too high. Of course the cone falling into pieces is a good hint that this is happening, but I guess he'd love to know it in advance LOL

I don't think there's any danger: the poweramp is going to square any clipping: the harmonic content will vary but there's a signal threshold which can't be overcome. Unless the cone is undersized towards the poweramp, which is unlikely to happen in a combo but might happen in a head-+cab system :)

• ok thanks viabcroce :)

But a other question is: does it have a difference in the sound between kemper through fx-loop of an amp or through a power amp (set apart of the sound coloring of the lamp)?

Gibson Standard 1994, LTD EC-100 VB, Ibanez SR505, ENGL Savage 120

But a other question is: does it have a difference in the sound between kemper through fx-loop of an amp or through a power amp (set apart of the sound coloring of the lamp)?

Every amp and also every power amp sounds different. The Engl Poweramps i use have way more low end than the poweramps of my marshall heads. I you plan to use the power amp of a tube head i highly depends of how the preamp is voiced because the power amp is designed to match the sound. In other words: bright preamp - mellow poweramp, mellow preamp -> bright poweramp. However it is always nice if your poweramp has some presence and resonance controls which will add some fexibility.

What tyler wrote.
    OTOH, if you're just asking whether entering a Return socket is anyway different from using a poweramp, the general answer is no: a Send-Return loop basically separates the pre and the poweramp in a combo (that's why you never see a serial S/R in a pre or a poweramp).

• Tried this today with blackface profiles,no cab, going monitor out into my Custom Vibrolux Reverb. Altered the monitor eq a bit, had monitor volume at -16 to approximate the same level the amp sees when I plug straight in. Worked great. A good Fender amp turned into a great vintage blackface amp. An oddity is that although I set monitor out to 'no cab' the cab volume control was still working, so I turned the cab block off as well.

Sorry didn't see this for a while.... did you plug into the guitar input....

I'l have to try this tomorrow... so you went monitor out, cab off straight into input...

thanks

steve

Leg em down and yackem smackem

• Yes, into input 1 on the amp. But, I am not sure about the master volume settings and whether I had monitor linked to master. So try it with monitor at -16 and don't link to master. I'll try this again this afternoon and get back.
    EDIT.
    Yes, my setting was based on not linking monitor to master. Try it like that with volumes from -24 to -16 on monitor, with volume on the profile at noon. I found that if I had my 'cab' on, part of the cab sound is retained, although cab is disengaged from monitor. I prefer it with turning cab off. Tried some Tweed profiles this time and sounded great into my CVR. Some great feedback on my 'Powderfinger' profile. Also worked well with my Vox profiles.

Vintage amp obsessive

Edited once, last by professortweed ().

• Sorry didn't see this for a while.... did you plug into the guitar input....
    I'l have to try this tomorrow... so you went monitor out, cab off straight into input...
    thanks
    steve

Got my Profiler only yesterday but I shurely will have to face this problem often: when I play in smaller a venue that only have the choice between a trashy PA system or a blackface Fender Twin I would be happy if I find a way to connect the KPA to the Twin. But these old amps don't have POWERAMP INs.

I checked exactly this today with my Twin Reverb reissue - with the levels it is quit possible to handle this. But the problem is the cabinet of the KPA. With the cabinet ON it sounds phase-shifted and muddy, with the cabinet OFF it sounds a bit too brittle.

Well I am very new to KPA but I hope they will soon update the software for the EQ in the monitor output section. Could be useful to have the STUDIO EQ also available there.

Another good idea might be a MIX control in the cabinet section. Like the PALMER PGA04 has it. I had the same problem when I was trying to connect my Champ (as kind of preamp) with INSTRUMENT IN of the Twin. With a speaker sim DI (between amp and speaker of the Champ) it was too muddy and with a linear DI it was too brittle. With the PALMER PGA04 I could get a nice sound by just adding a little bit of linear signal to the cab signal. Maybe this could solve this problem here with the KPA too.

Just dreaming ...

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

Edited 2 times, last by fretboardminer ().